• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ice Skating :)

AltonTowersNerd

TS Member
I went to Van Hages this year and did some Ice Skating, i kept slipping over for my first timer and it was really good. I'm not sure if i was not supposed to wear jeans but I was.

I never get my balance right when I go ice skating. :p But I still enjoy doing it. Might tempt myself to get lessons and learn some of the basics rather than look like Bambi on Ice.

I can't even stand up on skates. Been about three times in my life, and now I just don't see the point in paying to fall over on cold, wet, hard ice.

Skiing, on the other hand, I love... Even if I've only been once, half my life ago. :p

I've been ice skating a couple of times at the rink in my town and, about 30 minutes in to my first time, I got the hang of it and can skate freely now.

I've only fallen over a couple of times too which seems to be pretty good compared to some others. ;)

Better yet, watch people trying to skate on the open air rink at Winter Wonderland, when it's flooded with two inches of rain water, and they only give you plastic bladed skates. ;)

I have only ever been ice skating probably 5 times in my life, and its safe to say im pretty crap at it, I struggle to even stand up wearing the skates before I even get on the ice. I spend my whole time walking round the outside holding on, watching 5 years old running around doing flips and what ever else they do to show off :p

I am ATROCIOUS at ice skating! I went with a friend a few weeks back to the ice rink at the Natural History Museum, and I was the slowest person there :(

Also, I accidentally elbowed a little girl in the face.

The thing that puts me off going more often are the cocky ice skaters which fly around the rink, weaving in and around people who aren't as confident, thus making them feel unsafe and more likely to slip over.

The last time I went I got confident when someone flew past me which made me stumbled backwards, then forwards before I slammed down on the ice on my chest (hands slid out of the way). Knocked the wind out of me and my vision went for a few minutes after I managed to get off the rink and onto a bench.

Ah Ice skating, I have covered public skating with St John. Wow it is dangerous, 3 suspected broken arms, (two of which came back plastered to watch their group) 1 suspected broken leg (I know it was broken without the xray) 5 head v ice. and cut to hand from being run over by skate (lucky they were blunt hire skates) And that was just one 4 hour period.

After seeing that, I am not going ice skating in my life.

At the NHM rink, there were loads of blood stains on the ice. It kinda makes you a teensy bit nervous.

I really enjoy ice skating. I haven't been for a few years now but I always found it quite easy to get the hang of. I can't do anything special but I can stay on my feet and skate around at a decent speed. It's the only sport I'm not completely terrible at!

Couldn't see the enjoyment in it really, after spending about 95% of the time on the floor

I did it once, at first it went pretty decent because I've got good balance so could manage to stand up alright and move at a decent pace, but then I got all cocky about it and thought I could do a jump, only to fall over and make quite a mess of my elbow.

Haven't tried it again since. :p

I've never been ice skating although it's something I'd like to give a go at some point in my life.

Sure, you look like a tit falling over every five seconds, but isn't that the point? :p

I adore ice skating! We have a permanent rink not far from us I've been to a couple of times, and before I moved to Worcs I used to go to Nottingham a bit and skate there. Touch wood I've not gone arse over tit to date, but there's a first time for everything! I think it probably helps if you've done regular skating or rollerblading before. It's pretty much the same basic principles, just on a different surface.

As much as I love it as a sport though I find it's also quite a sociable activity too, especially with friends. It can be an absolute scream sometimes :p