• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

If the Enterprise were to suddenly lose power

Tom

TS Member
I was just wondering how the Enterprise would respond if she were to suddenly lose power while in the upright spinning position. Is there any sort of safety mechanism to prevent it losing movement in a dangerous manner? I realise that the hydraulic arm that holds it upright is unlikely to collapse, but I would be interested to know of a potential for injury if a power cut or something similar occurred.

Having worked on Zodiac, I can answer this.

In the event of a power cut, the gearing in the motors allows the ride to slowly spin to a stop. The rides arm can be manually lowered by releasing the fluid by flipping the catch at the base of the ram. This lowers the ride slowly.

The team would know if it lost power by the lights on the op panel.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Jared said:

In the event of a power cut, the gearing in the motors allows the ride to slowly spin to a stop. The rides arm can be manually lowered by releasing the fluid by flipping the catch at the base of the ram. This lowers the ride slowly.

Thank you for that, but is there still a potential for injury given that the centrifugal[?] force is lost (people falling onto cage bars etc)?

The arm can be lowered manually, but I wonder if it could realistically be done before the loss of momentum became a problem for people on the ride. If the ride slowed significantly before the arm could be lowered then riders would be thrown around inside the cars.

I'm guessing it's never happened on any Enterprise, otherwise the H&S bods would probably ban the things :p

I hope not, but an Enterprise has caught on fire before in Estonia. NOTE: footage isn't very pleasant, hence why it's in spoiler tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99gahXSkFGA

DAYMN!

Now there's a dilema for a ride op: Do you stop the ride so that the majority of riders survive, killing those in the cars that are in the flame, or do you keep it spinning at medium speed so that everyone gets burned, but lives?

I was going to mention that but I had not got a link to the video and yes it is nasty. Not sure what you could do in that situation. Whatever you do people are going to die.

Edit- from looking at the comments no one died, just 37 injuries.

DiogoJ42 said:
DAYMN!

Now there's a dilema for a ride op: Do you stop the ride so that the majority of riders survive, killing those in the cars that are in the flame, or do you keep it spinning at medium speed so that everyone gets burned, but lives?
Ah, only you Diogo. <3

I always assumed the arm lowered automatically in the even of a power loss, but I suppose a manual lowering works just as well.

do you mean Only Diogo says what we are all thinking, or was it just me thinking about what would be for the best.

It's not something most people would ask straight away, really.

Most people would probably go to the whole "I hope no one was killed" sort of thing first. Just saying. ;)

delta79 said:
do you mean Only Diogo says what we are all thinking, or was it just me thinking about what would be for the best.
So yeah, the first one.

If you manually released the arm, the enterprise is meant to come down a lot faster than usual operation, its a quick thing.
Therefore you'll most likely be waiting for the carriages to slow down whole going in the lowered position.

I like to work on the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" theory. I'd probably stop the rotation.

The ride comes down on its own during a power failure. The ride is never truly at 90 degrees a bit like Oblivions drop. If the power fails, it slowly looses hydraulic pressure and comes down. Obviously without hydraulic pressure, the spinning will also gradually stop too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If I recall, you're never fully locked into these rides right? So if you had to, you could just leap forth and hope for the best.

Tom said:
Jared said:

Thank you for that, but is there still a potential for injury given that the centrifugal[?] force is lost (people falling onto cage bars etc)?

If the ride was to lose power when upright, and not lower, the wheel will come to a slow stop. Meaning no I injuries. The pods on the bottom of the wheel stay upright, the ones on the top will also be upright. The pods heading 'up' (if that makes sense) will be at a 90 degree angle (facing up) but riders will be sitting back on their seat. Riders facing down will find it uncomfortable but nothing more as they will be pushed (with gravity) towards the front of their pods.

As the ride lowers, all pods will be at the right angel and evacuation is simple.

Hope that clears some confusion.