• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on Fjord-Rafting

Sazzle

TS Administrator
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Evening folks!

I'm at Europa Park this week and returned from the Todtnau alpine coaster at lunch to find the entrance road to the park closed off by police. We were headed into Rust anyway, but I imagine cars were being diverted through the town due to this. We had no idea what was going on, but noticed that all afternoon Fjord-Rafting was closed. The water was being pumped around the channel but all boats were stationary - it has been very hot today and would usually be very busy!

Turns out there has been an incident involving the chemical used to treat the water, with 15 affected guests and staff. An Air Ambulance along with ground ambulances have treated people for chlorine gas inhalation.

Full story (German report):
http://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/i...hen.75fc96c8-f3fd-4a50-bca8-cfbb4af1534a.html

I fully expect to see the poor employee being forced to do a walk of atonement from the entrance all the way to the rapids, with Roland stood behind, ringing a bell and shouting "shame".

Last edited:
It reopened this afternoon according to the article. Sounds like a school boy error, but it is a dodgy business. I remember when working on a log flume once, the guy responsible for the chemicals was explaining the perils of wrong levels of chemicals in the water and how the weather could affect how potent they are to guests.

Hope all is ok, but I guess you have to put this kind of thing down to 'stuff happens'. I don't for a minute think that Europa won't have procedures in place surrounding the usage of the chemicals.

Unfortunately @Rick I believe the article is wrong. The ride didn't open at all that we saw, and we left at park close. I have seen a few other articles and have heard the ride is expected to remain closed for a while pending police investigations. We will see tomorrow!

Indeed it was! A member of staff also advised via EuropaStreet Facebook page that the ride did open yesterday afternoon.

My completely uneducated guess is that this may be related to the fountain in Luxembourg Square rather than Fjord Rafting. Only because Fjord had opened fairly quickly thereafter however the fountain was barriered off the day after and has been turned off ever since.

My completely uneducated guess is that this may be related to the fountain in Luxembourg Square rather than Fjord Rafting. Only because Fjord had opened fairly quickly thereafter however the fountain was barriered off the day after and has been turned off ever since.

The fountains in Luxembourg Square were working again on Thursday.

:)