• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Indiana Beach

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
In some rather sad news, it has been announced that Indiana Beach is being closed permanently after Apex Group (who own the park) were unable to find a buyer. It is not quite as well known but Apex Group are also closing Fantasy Island.

So that is 4 CCI woodies that we are losing, including the unique Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain.

I had not realised how relatively close we came to Indiana Beach on our 2018 US road trip. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we really should have chosen Indiana Beach ahead of the awful Mt. Olympus.

Sad, but not that surprising in some ways. It's been a slow 'wind down' since the original family sold it.

I'd keep an eye on what happens, the park has a number of rides they can't or will struggle to sell - sometimes things snap into place after such announcements (sometimes they don't, though).

Not sure what the land will be worth, the whole area is littered with resorts, hotels, campgrounds etc that are all fed by the park.

Isn’t Apex Parks the company that was formed by ex-Six Flags executives? It’s funny how it seems to be following a similar trajectory to Six Flags. Having never been to an Apex attraction I’m not an expert, but from the little I’ve read, the closure sounds like something sudden and forced.

If you’re going to close a park down, should you give the public warning? There are arguments both ways. On one hand, you might get a rush of visitors coming for a last visit. I don't know whether they sell much merchandise/onride photos, but I can see you might well sell more if people know the park's about to close. Ethically it probably is the right thing to do. On the other hand, if staff know they’re about to lose their jobs, they might be less reliable, job hunting etc.

Nonetheless, even if you decided not to give warning before the end of the season, it’d make sense to announce the closure as soon as the park closes for the season, rather than paying a management team, engineers, maintenance workers etc to keep on doing all the normal roles they would do to prepare for the next season for three months and then announcing the closure. They’ve missed out on a rush of last visits and they’ve paid all their permanent staff to spend three months preparing the park for the 2020 season.

It also means they were still advertising season passes in January. Now they’ve announced the closure, but aren’t responding to customer asking about refunds, which you’d assume people are entitled to if the parent company hasn’t gone bankrupt/into administration. If I lived near another Apex attraction that’s still open and I heard about how the Indiana Beach season pass holders were being treated, it’d make me reluctant to buy a season pass for my local Apex attraction. I’d be worried that it too could suddenly close and I’d lose out. If you ran a chain of attractions and had decided that a few of them weren't viable and needed to close, surely this isn't how you'd go about it.

According to someone in the comments, apparently there are rumours that Fun Spot flew out to Indiana Beach. We'll have to wait and see if anything comes to fruition. Fantastic tribute by a fantastic channel though.

Last edited:
Swerved this park in favour of spending more time in Chicago. Admission was pretty expensive for a fairly bland looking line up.

Still, hopefully the coasters can be saved and not scrapped.

93303608_10157944534712199_860986783586844672_o.jpg

MildRegularIslandcanary-size_restricted.gif

It would also seem that it will be becoming a family-owned park again; in a way, this sort of reminds me of when Kentucky Kingdom was relaunched!