• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Inspirational Lecture

Bethany

TS Member
Negativity towards the park recently has just made me crazy. Yes, some is necessary, e.g. Blivvy needs a lick of paint, Air's tunnel needs paint, but some negativity is just ridiculous.

Take for example, Th13teens theming. *prepares for hate overload* During TH13TEEN's marketing, nothing really made sense, we just saw an eye, a creepy girl and some vines. We couldn't predict what the theming was going to be around, other than forestry. When the ride opened in 2010, there wasn't that much focus on the theming as people where a lot more interested in the ride itself. Although after a few weeks/months, visitors started taking note of the theming.

"It's themed on scaffolding! LAZY." Are you kidding me?!
It is themed on a crypt; old, unfinished, dirty etc.

That was one of many unnecessary complaints. Another was "Towers is losing it's magic." NO IT ISN'T!

The reason we, TowersStreet, are one, a family, a fansite, a group, is because of Alton Towers. We have all visited far too many times, and we carry on doing so. Towers is amazing, we all love it, and that's why we're here. We are all in love with Blivvy, adore Nemmy, love re-riding Air and TH13TEEN, and feeling the intensity of Rita. I just can't stress it enough. We have PAGES and PAGES of comments on these forums about the new Secret Weapon for 2013; SW7. BECAUSE, we are excited, we are curious, because we love Towers!

Feel free to post your opinions below.
Cheers,
-Beth.

We are all passionate about Alton Towers and different aspects of the resort. As enthusiasts we will always be more critical of something we love over something we dislike.

I wouldn't say negativity has spread widely. Things such as "Alton Towers has lost it's magic" is a matter of opinion. Some believe the park still holds this 'magic' today where'as others believe it was lost during the 90s. It's not negative, it's an opinion, a critical one at that - and that's what forms most communities like this, the different opinions across the forums.

There are never 'unnecessary complaints' I would say. If someone mentions it then it IS necessary, to them at least, just because you think it's unnecessary though doesn't mean you should shoot others down stating your opinion as fact.

We are a part of a community with people that hold all different kinds of views. As a community we should embrace this and challenge others with opposing views. Debate and try to learn about why others pick on certain aspects of the park, that's the joy of a community. We all share this one love of one place, but we will all be critical of particular aspects of the place. We should enjoy having such a community.

Bethany said:
That was one of many unnecessary complaints.
Another was "Towers is losing it's magic." NO IT ISN'T!

But it is... The level of quality is still minimal in comparison to 90s developments. I would argue that last true brilliant attraction added by Towers was Hex, and everything since then has failed to meet the mark in terms of being truly immersive, detailed and unique.

Alton Towers could be as good as it's European counterparts if Merlin didn't refuse to provide the required finance and resources. Where this park was once an innovative and imaginative park who produced high quality attractions for reasonable ticket prices, we now have a park that still has big ideas but simply isn't given the appropriate resources to achieve their creative ambitions or even maintain the current attractions to a decent standard, and yet they have no qualms about demanding more and more money out of you. That kills the magic for me.

I'm not going to be sorry for being honest and critical. I love the park and that's why I want it to be better. I want the magic to be revived but sticking fingers in your ears and pretending everything is ok is not helpful, and it's even less helpful to lash out at people you disagree with.

Meat Pie said:
Bethany said:
That was one of many unnecessary complaints.
Another was "Towers is losing it's magic." NO IT ISN'T!

But it is...

Sorry, but didnt James just say that it was a matter of opinion if it was or not. I dont know what it was like before the 90s when it apperently had magic as i wasn't alive then! ;)

Sorry, but didnt James just say that it was a matter of opinion if it was or not.

The assertion that this is a subjective issue is a subjective assertion. ;)

I dont know what it was like before the 90s when it apperently had magic as i wasn't alive then!

So... all of human history before you birth is a myth? I mean that's the only thing I think you can mean with that statement since you seem to be suggesting that if an event didn't happen in your lifetime, then it didn't happen? :p

I agree with the others above but I enjoyed reading your post Bethany just for stating what you feel. I also agree on the Th13teen Scaffolding, not that it isn't lazy but I was always surprised most people didn't get it without spelling out that it's supposed to be under renovation (just like on Hex).

Meat Pie said:
I dont know what it was like before the 90s when it apperently had magic as i wasn't alive then!

So... all of human history before you birth is a myth? I mean that's the only thing I think you can mean with that statement since you seem to be suggesting that if an event didn't happen in your lifetime, then it didn't happen? :p
To be fair this is a valid point, you can't really know how it compares to today unless you actually visited then. You can get an idea from research, but it's no substitute for being a regular visitor.

On the other hand, there is a risk of looking back with rose tinted specs. The quality of current additions may not be as high as those of the mid-late 90s, but everything added before 1992 was pretty much unthemed. Areas such as festival park and fantasy world lasted right up until nearly the end of the 90s, and there wasn't much magical about them.

I believe AT is some way off competing at their best. I also feel that with their premium price point it is entirely justifiable to expect very high standards from the park. Too often in recent years they simply haven't delivered.

I've noticed in my time on this forum and TTF before it that when things are looking up for the park, people make positive posts, and equally when there's stuff to be negative about people express dissatisfaction. Right now there is much to be dissatisfied about.

Alton Towers is owned by a company that seems to put profit before guest satisfaction, something which I see as completely at odds with how anyone involved in the entertainment industry should approach business. I would see the ever-increasing ticket prices as more acceptable if this money was being put back into the park rather than going elsewhere, but for the most part it isn't.

The upkeep of various rides and areas is downright shameful. Nemesis looks genuinely scruffy rather than intentionally scruffy, and the station is falling apart. The same can be said for Blivvy's station. Hex's vault meanwhile should never have been allowed to get to the point it's now at. The thing's worse at parking than I am, and listening to all the knocking, clunking and creaking that can clearly be heard over the music is deeply saddening.

The park does seem to be able to obtain plentiful funding from Merlin for new attractions, though I think recent installations have left both enthusiasts and the public questioning whether the money is being spent as well as it could be. Rides like Thirteen and Sub-Terra are now accepted for the most part as being good rides, but for various reasons people expect more from Towers. I can't comment on 'The Magic' as I didn't visit until 2007, but it seems the place was so highly regarded during the 90s that guests still expect the same high standards now. Why shouldn't they? If it's still the UK's top park then new attractions should be nothing short of outstanding. Fortunately SW7 looks promising, but it'll be interesting to see whether it'll deliver and rescue that fast-fading reputation.

Being a fan of something is as much about criticising things that need to be improved as it is praising the good stuff. I don't see why I should settle for closed eateries, reduced throughputs extending my waits for rides (particularly prevalent towards the end of this season) and noticeably poor upkeep throughout the park, and regardless of the fact that Towers don't really have any competition in the UK, I don't see why other guests (enthusiasts or not) should accept this either.

Meat Pie said:
Sorry, but didnt James just say that it was a matter of opinion if it was or not.

The assertion that this is a subjective issue is a subjective assertion. ;)

tumblr_m8tgb9VfpQ1r1is3ko2_500.png

Please forgive me for being a naughty spamming moderator.

I agree, Bethany.

There's being negative and then there's being negative for the sake of being negative. Occasionally, in fact quite regularly, an incident arises at Alton Towers which is genuinely ridiculous (the late opening of Air and Th13teen idea which was so briefly implemented, for example. The state of Hex, also)... but more often than not on here, it's a case of moaning because we don't have anything better to do.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Universal Islands of Adventure; generally regarded by members on here as one of the best theme parks in the world, right? somewhere that Alton Towers can only dream of competing with, right? Take a look through threads on the Orlando United boards, it really does have quite a lot of similar threads to on here. Hulk badly needs a repaint. Fastrack being oversold. Transformers 3D next year; what a joke! Cat in the Hat is literally falling apart... you get the idea.

We're Alton Towers enthusiasts. We visit Alton Towers a lot. We have more opportunity to notice faults in the way that Alton Towers is run than any other theme park that we visit, like it or not, and thus develop a 'grass is greener' approach.

Eh. Alton Towers isn't perfect, Merlin certainly aren't perfect... but criticism from these boards is so often over the top.

We're fans of Alton Towers. That doesn't necessarily mean we're fans of Alton Towers 2012, Merlin, the current management, or even Alton Towers in the last decade. Obviously people wouldn't be members of this forum if they didn't love Alton Towers in some way, but you can love the park and also hate the current direction it's taking.

The forums would be beyond boring anyway if there was no critical discussion. :)

Bethany said:
We all... love re-riding Air and TH13TEEN

ಠ_ಠ

as i see it, there are different parts to the magic.

Theming, Rides, Upkeep ,General staff ,Entertainment staff

Theming
There was a golden age of theming, 92 to about 1998.

Rides
this one comes down to personal choice, I think there are ride after the 90's that have the magic.

Upkeep
This has gone down hill about lately. We all agree that Oblivion could do with a new coat of paint, etc

General Staff
some have lost the lets make the day great air around them. but that's happen over the year anyway.

Entertainment staff
They went into this area due to they love of acting and having fun with people, and they still do. there are some cracking people working in this area, the pirates and Sir England stand out as some of them.

parts of the magic may be lower in some areas but it is there. But the best place I have found for seeing the magic is in the face of my daughter during a visit.

We're all fans of Alton Towers. We all love the place and we all have many fond memories of the park and the rides and attractions. It is because of this love and fondness that we argue over it so passionately.

When the park does good, we praise it and when the park does bad, we berate it. It's not that we are being depressing, or moaners or repetitive. It is because we, as a community, are fed up with the tightened purse-strings of Merlin Entertainment when we know what the park could and should be! Yes, the park still do fantastic things from time to time, but unfortunately when there is more bad than good... There will be more negativity than positivity.

Whilst your post was admirable and I give you kudos for speaking your mind against what may seem like the masses... We are only all speaking our minds - and it is because we all love the park so much that we seem so negative about it. We all just want the best for Towers...

(I realise I said we a lot there and kinda generalised us all. Oh well...)

Being one of the chief proponents of "The Magic of the mid 90s" I must stand by this and paraphrase Diogo here:

"You weren't there man".

Not your fault, clearly lol, you get to compare AT to very little. I understand your sentiments entirely, but there is a reason my poll (plug) was not as clear cut as you might expect. Many of us who did visit back then, found the place had more soul. It's a simple as that. It's now plastered with adverts, up-sells, marketing - it's everywhere! It is tedious, it is unnecessary, and it ruins many a day and at very least takes the focus away from you paid a heck of a lot of money to go for.

ESCAPISM.

Merlin has much to answer for, probably most likely to the greedy corporate capitalists that own them, and we must pay for their Caviar and Bollinger.

I find myself defending SW7 potential a lot, and praising the staff (which I have done officially, via AT channels also), but many of things you mentioned in your post apply to where my complaints are. Much of it, is the park flapping around for solutions to ridiculous, over bearing, and crappy attitudes of Merlin towards their customers.

This year, the fact that their social media was smashed with complaints highlights, what people on these forums have been forewarning of for a while.

If Merlin has sense they would listen, but they're run by someone I have at present little respect for, who harps on about wanting to not contribute to society like the rest of us (VAT), and close free educational institutions as they're unfair competition.

That man, runs this company.

The attractions are getting multiple versions of similar rides, almost becoming carbon copies slowly, stifling competition and invention and ramming cheap tat for high prices at us at every opportunity, whilst doing their level best to create a two tier visitor system.

They are not subjective viewpoints. They are business facts, that have no place in the hospitality industry.

If you had a business, would you treat your guests like that? I certainly wouldn't!

Happy people, (and fools) are easily separated from their money. You will make more by improving the day, not squeezing the pips out of people at every chance.

With the absolute greatest of respect to you Bethany (and I mean that, you're a great poster, so I don't want to come across harsh to you at all), you have not been subjected (fortunately) to the true harsh realities of real life money, enjoy that period (seriously!) because I guarantee if you don't, and those of us that do have to deal with it every day don't try and stop it by making vocal complaints, by the time you are earning a wage and paying these trips/petrol goodness/kids yourself, your view will be a vastly different one.

All that being said, I appreciate a positively minded post, and where you are coming from - and you had some cahunas on you to come out and post that so frankly and straight to the point! ;D

(and just in case you feel the responses get a bit passionate, some of the people on here I have the biggest giggles with, are those I often disagree with most fiercely in the messageboards!)

Great post though!
TheMan ;)

It's almost like Alton Towers is not alowed to be "magical" during these years of doom, gloom and economic downturn as business profits are squeezed and there is less money for investment.

I think everything probably seemed better during the boom years of the mid-late 90s, even theme parks where there was more money for investment in innovative rides and themed experiences. More importantly there was high confidence for the future, as businesses were confident they would see future return on investment so were willing to take bigger risks and less focussed on driving profitability in the short-term. I think basic economics can be applied here to an extent. I would love to know exactly how profitable Alton Towers were during the 1990's.

Alton Towers spent the noughties coasting along on its past success with no dense of direction or clear business plan. This is a very damaging culture for any business, let alone one in the entertainments industry. There is still a very worrying culture with this business but at least now they have some development plan in place for the remainder of the decade. This does hold at least some promise. Unfortunately though Alton Towers no longer appears to have anyone with a clear vision for what they want to achieve (asides from enthusiasts!!) like John Wardley and Tussauds did 20 years ago, or even John Broome in the eighties. For that reason alone I don't think the park will ever relive its golden years.

What Alton Towers needs is owners which place it at the very heart of what they do and willing to take risks through innovation in seek of reward. Not Merlin.

:)

The 'magic' of Alton Towers has quite frankly always been a sense of escapism from the real world and a chance to experience things that are not otherwise available in these isle's.

The escapism has been eroded by an overly aggressive tactic of sales that immediately reminds the visitor of the capitalist outside world.

If we look at the subject of unique experiences in this country, Alton Towers can't really offer this today in the same way that it did in the late 80s to mid 90s due to the competition (other theme parks) who have caught up and have provided similar attractions by the same or similar companies.

This is why the so-called 'magic' doesn't show any signs of returning to Alton Towers the amusement park in the foreseeable future. There is always a chance for a sense of 'magic' to return one day in the future though as the place is blessed with such a beautiful and historic setting.

I agree Barry, I think that's what frustrates many of us.

We aren't in the 90s now, it won't have that era again - it's been and gone. I think though that there are many small things that could be done to bring about some change.

Apart from the Ride hosts (most of), at what point do you feel in the day, that they only exist to provide you a fantastic day out, rather than get money out of you by hook or by crook?

I always spent at AT, because I had a great day and wanted things to remind me of it! Never have I left a park at Halloween on close time so fast, I'm usually in shops/stalls eeking that day out.

This is the first year I have not bought a single momento for my self, and the reason I leave feeling "sod off, you'd had enough of my cash, and it's gonna cost me 6 quid just to get out of the car park!"

That being your last reminder of your visit for the day. Making sure you spend another £6 TO LEAVE!

Not to mention the people I was with, not being even remotely enthusiasts (pass holders for their kids, but didn't enjoy coasters... well that changed, but different story ;D ), commenting on how they felt bombarded by adverts and spend spend spend everywhere, as well as tatty things on rides I'd never taken notice of (rapids roof in particular)... ironically because at that point I'm determined to enjoy that bit lol!

This chap is about as General Public as you get in terms of theme parks and visiting.

And boy, did they not like it (hadn't been to Towers until this year since... guess when.... - always went to family/London parks, Chessie, Lego, Sealife etc).

Good point about the car parking charge (although I know it has been discussed previously at times). Surely being asked to pay £6 to leave the place has got to leave a bad taste in most 'customers' mouths. It may be OK the first time around as the visitor will pay, but will they return next time knowing that it's going to cost them an extra £6 just to park? Some will, but some won't, and there you have a loss in customers.

D4n said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Universal Islands of Adventure; generally regarded by members on here as one of the best theme parks in the world, right? somewhere that Alton Towers can only dream of competing with, right? Take a look through threads on the Orlando United boards, it really does have quite a lot of similar threads to on here. Hulk badly needs a repaint. Fastrack being oversold. Transformers 3D next year; what a joke! Cat in the Hat is literally falling apart... you get the idea.

We're Alton Towers enthusiasts. We visit Alton Towers a lot. We have more opportunity to notice faults in the way that Alton Towers is run than any other theme park that we visit, like it or not, and thus develop a 'grass is greener' approach.
This is a fair point. I remember when they first revealed the plans for Europa Park's Bell Rock Hotel; most of us over here liked the look of it but the fans over on Europa Park’s forums seemed unnecessarily disappointed as they were expected something more.

But just acknowledging that fans moan isn’t new. What is new is the sheer amount of bile that the Towers has thrown at it and not always by us even though we are the vocal minority.

Unfortunately for Alton it suffers from an extreme case of unlived potential. Like me quite a few of you have grown up with Alton being the major British theme park. For us it is Britain’s showcase park to the world that we are relevant in the amusement industry. However that status of us being a global player is rapidly disappearing; not due to a lack of development but rising standards (as ours fall) and a new knowledge of what else is out there and what they are producing.
Case in point when I started visiting other parks around Europe it really opened my eyes to just how far behind we have become. Thankfully it’s not all doom and gloom; due to a few innovative minds like John Wardley we still offer some of the best coaster line ups, but nowadays a theme park has to be much more than a good selection of rides.

That’s my take behind some of the negativity.

Re: Inspirational Lecture

It is a sense of perspective, chatting with some EP fans they always are happy to hear we love EP because I'm guessing the forums concentrate on the negatives, they said they are tired of silverlake saloon and it needs to change its setlist ext.

While we can just say this is negetivity and wish for it to stop, it won't. Why?

Because from the perspective of people who follow the park, who visit the park a lot, who knows the problems will agree that in some respect that Merlin/alton towers have screwed up.

When you do not know the problems it is easy to be ignorant to them, if you have ever been to towers with people who do not often go, you will notice they couldn't care less about the problems, it doesn't directly affect their day. Probably like when we go to EP or IOA.

When you have the fans perspective, we know the faults, we know the potential of the park, we know what it was once. And it saddens us this potential has gone to waste in Merlins case financial greed. The problems we see may not affect an ordinary visitor directly, but it does indirectly. A normal guest would never actually assume selling lots of fastpass would affect queue times as dramatically as we know for example.

All in all... The world's not perfect. I wouldn't moan about negativity. In fact differing opinions is the driving force behind debates.

All in all, if the problems are there, and while they continue to be there, the negativity will be there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!