• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Instant Escape Week

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Alton Towers have just launched Instant Escape Week. "Each day on 2nd July & from 7th-13th July, one lucky visitor to Alton Towers Resort will be chosen at random to win £1000."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVxKL2mmEfY&feature=share[/youtube]

That video is absolutely brilliant!

:)

That is an awesome video! If I lived nearby I think I would be down there every day!

I loved how they thought it was a joke to start with :) But then again who would believe that some guy in a electric land-going boat would give you £1000 just for riding on Oblivion!

Huh? I just read this in the small print

6. From 14th July 2013, the name of the winners may be obtained by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope detailing your request to:£1000 Prize Draw, Alton Towers Resort, Alton, Staffordshire ST10 4DB

Is this a misprint, or seriously, you get your money a whole year after you win it?

Other than that, its a great idea! If it was me that had won the £1000, I wouldn't believe him, but wow, isn't it.. magical? lol

Well I guess we know where £8,000 of the marketing budget went! :p

Whilst some people will openly criticise this saying 'Merlin are just chucking money away', you have to bear in mind the ROI this will bring. Saying that, would this not have been better to use during a quieter week without the predictable school/college crowds?

Nonetheless, that video is fab.

Maya said:
Huh? I just read this in the small print

6. From 14th July 2013, the name of the winners may be obtained by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope detailing your request to:£1000 Prize Draw, Alton Towers Resort, Alton, Staffordshire ST10 4DB

Is this a misprint, or seriously, you get your money a whole year after you win it?

I think that means that from the 14th July next year anyone can write to Towers and request to find out who the winners were. Why anyone would want to do this I don't know but I guess they have to allow this for legal reasons. I may be wrong but that's how I see it.

:)

Transparency? So they can prove they actually did award people and didn't fake it or give it to staff?

That actor/character is brilliant, he had me creasing up earlier in the year. So is this random winner thing, love it.

Shows they still can get some things so right.

Blaze said:
Transparency? So they can prove they actually did award people and didn't fake it or give it to staff?

It will be to comply with some sort of compeition law/regulation.

Wow.

This is bonkers. Utter bonkers. Surely they'd need to heavily promote this to have any sort of affect on visitor numbers?!

its certainly a different marketing angle, perhaps not the most original but at least its not been described as every ultimate competition you ever dreamed of ever.

I dont think it will gain much publicity or have much of an impact upon park attendance though. Just as the odds are going to be very small, its not that much money and I doubt it will be a 'deal breaker' to get people through the gates.

I hope it works well for them, its certainly something they havent tried before as far as Im aware.

I smell some slight fish with the delayed reactions, but even if it was or wasn't, I can forgive the Towers. This was a pleasing event to come and will leave guests on a impression to go there or go back. I'm glad that this gives me more hope that Edward England will be staying for longer now. Reviews are becoming very positive from guests to using him as a "mascot-figure" in this video gives me hope. Anyone else want Pete to be the new mascot of the Towers?

If any TSTer wins, can they chuck a few quid at alton to buy a tripod for the camera?

oldgitben said:
If any TSTer wins, can they chuck a few quid at alton to buy a tripod for the camera?
I'd give it all back and order them to do something useful with it...

How are Alton are able to give £1000 out for a week or whatever, but just last month were making cuts?

It would come out of the marketing budget, which probably hasnt seen too many cuts as thats what is hopefully going to get people through the gates. The 7k for this promotion wouldnt buy you much in the world of advertising, might get you a couple of adds on some sky channels with low viewing figures, wouldnt get even get you an add on ITV or the other main stations during peak viewing times.

Longy said:
oldgitben said:
I'd give it all back and order them to do something useful with it...

How are Alton are able to give £1000 out for a week or whatever, but just last month were making cuts?

or you could go buy some blue paint and attack air's tunnel ;D

I know separate budgets and all, but this is laughable in the face of the recent cuts, and somewhat insulting to the staff whose hours are being cut.

And it seems like a dire cry of desperation when a theme park has to resort to literally throwing money away to try and attract guests.

It seems to send out the complete opposite signals too, suggesting people should visit the park not due to escapism, oh no, but something the complete opposite - real world money.

Sub-Terra aside, some of the marketing earlier this year was really impressive, but I really think they've taken their eye off the ball on this one. :(

The standard GP wont win anything. This is simply a marketing stunt to push the gate figures. ;)
They will simply put in staff/actors undercover to act as guests and pretend to receive the award. Thats basically it.

Instant Escape Week

Jack_TPW said:
The standard GP wont win anything. This is simply a marketing stunt to push the gate figures. ;)
They will simply put in staff/actors undercover to act as guests and pretend to receive the award. Thats basically it.
It's being run as a competition. With full competition terms and conditions. As noted above you can ask on request for a list of the winners - something required by law to prove it isn't fake.

It is a stunt, but not one that they would risk faking. If it were found to be fake the negative PR involved would be huge!

I am only saying that because the woman shown in the video has been identified as Alton Towers staff undercover.....Thats how I imagine it will work. To the GP it will still appear like someone has won the prize and noone will really expect to win it anyway.