IP-themed rides that have outgrown their IP?

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Matt N, 10th Jan 2021.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Hi guys. When parks are building an attraction, they may often employ an IP to increase the marketability of the attraction and add appeal for those who may already be attached to the IP being used. This is particularly prevalent in Disney and Universal theme parks. But my question to you today is; do you think that there’s ever been a case where the attraction has been so well-designed and loved that its legacy has outgrown that of the IP it’s based on?

I can think of a couple of examples for sure; interestingly, all of them are in Disney and Universal parks.

• One of the best examples I can think of is the Tower of Terror attractions at various Disney parks. These are iconic attractions, and arguably key cornerstones of the parks they reside in. However, in spite of the rides having the Twilight Zone as an IP, I’d guess that 90% of people who ride Tower of Terror and love it have never even heard of the Twilight Zone, and most probably don’t even associate the ride with the Twilight Zone. Tower of Terror is a perfect example of an IP-themed ride that isn’t defined by its IP, in my opinion.
    • I’d also suggest Revenge of the Mummy as another candidate. Despite being based off of the Mummy franchise from the late 90s, I never actually even knew that the ride was based off of a film when I first rode the Florida version; I thought it was just a cool, Egyptian themed coaster! I’d argue that for many, the ride itself has become an icon on its own, with its unique effects and thrilling coaster experience making it loved among many, while I’d personally argue that the Mummy film franchise it was based off of is not quite as iconic.
    • Another arguable candidate for me is Splash Mountain. Yet again, I never even knew this was based off of an IP when I first rode; I just thought it was a cute little ride with lots of singing animals! Of course, the links to Song of the South do still linger, because that’s why the rides are being rethemed soon, but the IP certainly doesn’t define Splash Mountain, in my opinion. Despite the film it has links to being buried in history, the ride has arguably become quite the icon in its own right with its fun-filled drops and catchy songs.
    But can you think of any IP-themed rides that have outgrown their IP in this manner?

Posted 10th Jan 2021
  2. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Great topic idea.

Rock n Rollercoaster is / was a great example of this. I didn't enjoy either version of the ride that I have ridden (Paris and Florida) because of the rough layout, but I had no understanding of the ride "IP" when I rode, and i double many children are familiar with the band these days to be honest, yet it still worked as a solid theme for a coaster.

The Marvel refurb will be a different proposition altogether and will no doubt increase queue times 5 fold.

Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom was also supposedly introduced (alongside the whole of Dinoland USA, ahead of Beastly Kingdom) as a tie in to the film 'Dinosaur' released in the same year. Although in that case I'd argue that the ride didn't exactly outgrow its IP as much as being born to a separate mother.

Side note: if you haven't seen the first Brendan Fraser 'The Mummy' film it is decent and worth a watch. The sequels were trash.

Last edited: 10th Jan 2021
    RicketyCricket and Matt N like this.
    Posted 10th Jan 2021
  3. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I'm going to say Parc Asterix because the comics themselves are now quite old, the last true Asterix comics were written in the mid 00s (most of them were written in the 60s/70s though) and their author/illustrator Albert Uderzo died last year whereas Parc Asterix is still very successful being the second most visited park in France and is still getting frequent new attractions.

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 10th Jan 2021
  4. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Not quite. It opened as 'Countdown To Extinction', but was renamed to tie-in with the film's release in 2000. Although nothing much changed in the plot, the ride was toned down accordingly, but still proved too scary for a lot of guests at WDW.

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 10th Jan 2021
  5. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Whilst you are right, Astérix is such a massive cultural institution in France. Indeed, Bande Dessiné (comic strips) are incredibly popular over the channel and the Astérix brand is strong. So the park remains fully relevant.

Posted 10th Jan 2021
  6. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Absolutely. You would struggle to find anyone in France that doesn’t know what Asterix is. It’s pretty much ingrained in the culture.

Matt N and AstroDan like this.
    Posted 10th Jan 2021
  7. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Star Wars: Galaxy Edge

Controversial I'm sure. As you are probably aware Galaxy's Edge has a timeline that's permanently locked between episode 8 and 9. It's essential for the story behind Rise of the Resistance and the characters you can find and meet in the land. Its a great idea for immersion and would work in a non-IP based land.
    The trouble is episodes 8 & 9 didn't get the reception Disney wanted and there attention has turned to other points in the Star Wars timeline (such as the Mandalorian). This is a problem as anything that takes place in a different part of the timeline doesn't fit in Galaxy's Edge.

So although the lands are only a year old Disney are already considering removing the story of Galaxy's Edge so it can be a catch all Star Wars land.

Also the reverse of this applies to Frozen. If you've seen Frozen 2 you'll know Arendelle is almost destroyed at the end, only to be saved Deus Ex Machina style at the end. Why was it saved? I can only assume because they'd already commissioned 3 Arendelle themed attractions.

Posted 10th Jan 2021
  8. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Lot of rumours about them already changing the film in the smugglers run attraction to a more generic Star Wars theme in the not too distant future. Also they seem to be planning on adding some Mandalorian attractions, either rides or most likely experiences, as that franchise has proved incredibly popular.

I don't think it really matters though. Only theme park nerds like us get hung up on themes etc. Vast majority of people who visit Disney World won't care a jot if a certain ride is stuck in a certain timeline

Charlie Newbold, Matt N and Tim like this.
    Posted 13th Jan 2021