• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is it time to rethink the SW series?

SW

Two letters that get enthusiasts rabidly excited, delivering a mixture of world beating, world class, world first, world record and sometimes gimmicky coasters.

For my record, the order from best to worst.

Nemesis

Big gap

Smiler
Oblivion
Air
Thirteen (it's still a lot of fun).

What started out as an internal code name has become an actual marketing tool for the parks biggest investments, to the extent that the SW term has appeared on marketing around the park for the last three (including the current one) whilst still under construction.

Despite that, there is no official definition of what constitutes a SW at all, though all of the ones to date have had something special about them.

Nemesis - Second inverted coaster, nothing like it in Europe and let's face it - it's awesome.

Oblivion - World's first (nearly) verical drop roller coaster.

Air - first flying coaster (apart from that abomination at Granada Studios).

Thirteen - First freefall drop roller coaster ( or first trim brake drop rollercoaster).

Smiler - World record holder for inversions

SW8 - Groundbreaking - we'll see, but history tells me this will not be a standard GCI woody.

The SW tag promotes debate with some enthusiasts questioning whether 13 was a real secret weapon at all.

Has the SW tag served it's time?
Should it be a SW without JW''s involvement?
Should a family attraction be a SW?

With Merlin closing flats, without replacement, delivering mediocre attractions such as Sub Terra and ice age, and relying on a be SW every four years, it is time for a new tack.

How about a new codename that could be used to market medium investment attractions between the SW series? Something to demonstrate that they mean business and will deliver medium investment attractions befitting a great the park?

And how about an Ultimate Weapon for their 40th anniversary as a theme park (or would that devalue the SW after that?) Something on an unprecented scale in terms of investment to anything they have done before.

And finally, what about a SW tag for a suite of new attractions. Say a 7.5 million pound coaster, intertwined with a 7.5 million pound water ride, rather than a 15 million pound coaster with an expensive gimmick.

Any thoughts?

I think people overthink the SW thing - it's a cool bit of marketing from a time gone by that they use because they always have done. Th13teen killed off whatever Air hadn't, in terms of expectation for an SW delivering anything with the majesty of Nemesis or Oblivion.

It's all a tad routine

I don't have much else to say.

Hmm...

Well the SW series is kind of a fixed thing at Alton Towers, and has become iconic within the enthusiast and amusement industry. Its even embossed into Oblivion's queue building. Its not the "SW" that needs to change, its more the attitude towards it. Though in recent years with The Smiler & SW8, both are/look to be great coasters with inventive theming.

The Smiler's theme is a real achievement, its got quality, thought & style behind it. It has a great soundtrack too which in countries like the USA is actually quite rare with the exception of movie parks i.e.. Universal, Disney etc.

The question however is what constitutes an SW. It seems to be that budget and novelty play a big part, but this of course will need to change. With most big developments already made with respect to the actual physical hardware itself, story & theming are going to have to become the main selling point.

So basically, after SW8, the next SW really has to be an incredible coaster in itself and really push the boundaries of what a coaster can be. I've long pondered the idea of having "epic" &/or movie IP based coasters. Something that is a spectacle to look at and a soundtrack that transports you somewhere else. Have a listen to the scores of movies such as Inception, Interstellar, Day after Tomorrow and you'll get that tingling hairs on your back feeling.

Thats what a future SW must do. Be daring, Be inventive, Be a spectacle, Be transporting.

The park has no right to be using SW on their 8th major coaster. It was Wardley's trade mark, and now he's gone. No doubt took early retirement so he no longer had to put up with Merlin's BS. The biggest insult is how long he was banging the drum for a wooden coaster and now this new ride comes a long, without his input, and they have the nerve to slap SW8 on it.

Th13teen I think did deserve an SW title. It may not be the ultimate coaster we were promised, but that dropping track element is still a pretty big achievement and I'd say a sound gimmick.

The Smiler on the other hand probably deserves SW status given the sheer size of the thing. But stupid Merlin were being too ambitious with it, I felt they had John backed into a corner with the whole "world's first" thing. He could have designed a much better ride having not been pushed into doing 14 loops.

'Secret Weapon' is a term that's only really used as a nod to folks like us. It doesn't feature in any actual marketing for a ride beyond the initial "we're up to something" webpage or the "find our construction site here" marker on a map, so it means nothing to the vast majority of the park's guests.

Its meaning or what can be expected from its use has never actually been defined, to my knowledge, so there's no actual reason why Thirteen for instance (probably the most debated application of the term) shouldn't have been one. I partially agree with Rick though; the standard of Nemesis and Oblivion at the times of their construction compared to most UK theme park additions set very high expectations for anything carrying the SW label, and subsequent ones have generally failed to inspire enthusiasts in the same way. That could easily be viewed as compromising whatever we perceive 'Secret Weapon' to mean, and certainly weakens its ability to get us on board the hype train. For that reason I think the SW tag should be used sparingly; only for thrill hardware, and only when they're pulling out all the stops. Other big investments should go without it.

Where I disagree is that the standard of what the park is adding is very routine now, not the awareness and following of rides being built in our present globally connected age. Just imagine if the park built a relatively high budget coaster and flume without calling them SWs, then followed those up with SW9, later proving to be a thrill coaster like those built by the top parks in mainland Europe; something that straight away fits the park perfectly, and is designed purely to give a straightforward yet amazing experience from entering the queue to leaving the station. Wouldn't that feel like a return to what we think an SW-classified ride should be?

The park has no right to be using SW on their 8th major coaster. It was Wardley's trade mark, and now he's gone. No doubt took early retirement so he no longer had to put up with Merlin's BS. The biggest insult is how long he was banging the drum for a wooden coaster and now this new ride comes a long, without his input, and they have the nerve to slap SW8 on it.

Slight aside, but I would be really surprised if John is not involved with SW8 in some form or other. :)

I'd argue that any ride that offers something new or unique to the coaster world would warrant the secret weapon tag. Rides like Nemesis and Oblivion rightly hold the tag; it's a ride designed to boost the park in the world rankings that's never been seen before (continentally or even worldwide).

Air, whilst not as thrilling, offered something unique once more. Therefore I'd justify it again because it was a new technology that revolutionised coasters from then on, even past the core coaster itself into the technical challenge presented by it.

13 and The Smiler again could be argued. The Smiler offered no new technology to the world (except the invisible washing machine cough cough) but did break a record. It threw the park back into the world spotlight again and would then be justified in having the label. 13, similarly to Air, wasn't thrilling as such, but the technology behind it is a brilliant piece of engineering.

Whether SW8 will warrant that tag line boils down to one of two factors for me. One: If it's thrilling enough on the same scale as Oblivion or Nemesis or Two: It offers some kind of new technology that would revolutionise coasters from here on. Right now, I can't really see much evidence of it fulfilling either of those categories and would band it with Rita; the idea that it's an 'off the shelf' model (I know it's custom but you get my drift) with little to make it stand out. Of course, this may change once it opens if it packs a surprise but for now, I wouldn't say it justifies that code name.

The great thing about SW8 is that we don't yet know what it is that warrants the SW tag.
Every SW so far has offered something new, unique to the country and/or Worlds First, so I see no reason to doubt SW8 will have the same and I'm so happy we don't know it yet.
I like that they still use the SW codename and it's such an Alton Towers thing.
For me, it represents exactly what it suggests, an element to a new coaster that is a secret at the time the project becomes apparent to enthusiasts.
Rita wasn't an SW as it didn't offer anything new or unique in coasters at the time.
So it's clear the park don't use the SW tag lightly.

He isn't. It's already been confirmed.

I wouldn't be so sure!

The SW tag is a funny one and I've got to be honest and say I don't really care either way. A major investment is a major investment and if Towers decide to go for an SW code name then so be it. It was brought back for Thirteen by Morweanna probably to give enthusiasts at the time something to get excited about. And then Towers have decided to stick with it for their subsequent major coasters. Fine by me!

As has been pointed out you can argue that all former SWs have been special in one way or another. Will SW8 carry this on? I doubt it from a ride point of view, I cannot see anything other than a standard GCI woodie with a cool magnetic lift system. So I can see why some may argue that this is not worthy of the SW title. However at the end of the day it is just a code name, if they'd gone and called it Project Timber or something then chances are people would be asking questions as to why is it not SW8.

And then there is the whole Wardley thing. Yes he has been great for Towers and the UK theme park industry in general but people really need to get over him! I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is not the only person in the world who is capable of designing good coasters for Towers. GCI themselves have proven time and time again that they are more than good enough when it comes to coaster design. So for me a coaster does not have to be designed by Wardley for it to be an SW. In fact I think Wardley strengths are more in the show, theming and theatrical side of theme parks rather than coaster design.

:)

I totally get the points that you have made especially with the whole Wardley thing.
I think that the SW tag should be moved forward into new things like new dark rides and water rides not just coasters.
I like the SW tag and I don't think it should go If it was going to go it should have gone for thirteen. I like SW much more then construction 2018 for instance as a code name.
I would like to see towers take the American craze approach one time just to see how it goes. If they where to build an epic coaster or at any merlin park. Maybe they could be completely transparent to wave the candy in front of our faces that might work well.
Or they could do the SW tag thing then make it all transparent a few months before the start of the season especially if we cant see the coaster from outside the park. Then this would create emense hype but it would have to be a really cool coaster.
Tbh only the enthusiasts know what it means and it doesn't generally feature later on in marketing its mainly for enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure!

It was already posted on here months ago when somebody emailed him and he replied not having the slightest clue Towers were building a woodie.

I hope he's just messing with the enthusiasts, but that's probably not his style. It just really annoys me that Merlin & Towers would treat somebody this way, essentially giving him the finger right after his retirement.

I agree let him go and move on, but isn't a bit of respect in order here?

In fact I think Wardley strengths are more in the show, theming and theatrical side of theme parks rather than coaster design.

:)

Exactly. That's the reason why nobody in the Merlin "club" can build anything remotely interesting these days. All the big theme park players have teams of people with backgrounds in movies and theatre. What have Merlin got? Diddly squat.

It was already posted on here months ago when somebody emailed him and he replied not having the slightest clue Towers were building a woodie.

I hope he's just messing with the enthusiasts, but that's probably not his style. It just really annoys me that Merlin & Towers would treat somebody this way, essentially giving him the finger right after his retirement.

I agree let him go and move on, but isn't a bit of respect in order here?

Exactly. That's the reason why nobody in the Merlin "club" can build anything remotely interesting these days. All the big theme park players have teams of people with backgrounds in movies and theatre. What have Merlin got? Diddly squat.

Wardley still interacts with Merlin and Towers, he is retired, how many retirees do you know who actively continue to work when they have decided they have retired!

As Rob says he has at least seen and commented on the plans but again it doesn't have to be a John Wardley product to be good or to be an SW.

Fact is the SW brand has moved beyond the core geek group and has some recognition from the general park going public that it is related to a new coaster so why wouldn't they use it.

Couldn't help but have a little smile at this topic on my way through to posting!

In a nutshell, no I personally don't believe that the SW series should be changed/dropped. By introducing the SW tag to a project you can automatically assume that someone somewhere has agreed the final product will be industry changing and will make a solid mark on the park's ride lineup.

You (the Royal you) might not agree subjectively on whether they're good additions or are worthy of the title, but objectively each coaster introduced under the SW series so far has made significant impact on the coaster industry in some way.

Rita certainly wasn't groundbreaking in any respect and as such never attracted the project name and the same can be said for Spinball, despite both being big additions for the park at the time.

There is, in my opinion, no disrespect to the man who created the SW tag by continuing this legacy in his (assumed by most) absence. Wouldn't you be proud that your idea lived on as a part of investment and improvement even after your departure?

I have to admit that the proof provided via email for denial of involvement is such solid base for argument. Agreed!

Th13teen I think did deserve an SW title. It may not be the ultimate coaster we were promised, but that dropping track element is still a pretty big achievement and I'd say a sound gimmick.

The Smiler on the other hand probably deserves SW status given the sheer size of the thing. But stupid Merlin were being too ambitious with it, I felt they had John backed into a corner with the whole "world's first" thing. He could have designed a much better ride having not been pushed into doing 14 loops.

The park has every right to use the SW tag, it's them who pay for the marketing and the ride itself, not Wardley. Your post also contradicts itself - it's okay for the park to use the SW tag for Th13teen and The Smiler because YOU feel the rides justified the tag, Wardley was retired for both those rides and although he still had some input into them he was technically retired. He went on record stating he had very little input into Th13teen and The Smiler and it was the brainchild of Candy Holland and her team.

The SW tagline has become synonymous with Towers and always brings something new to the table. The only way I can see this not deserving the SW is if it's just a basic GCI woodie and if the price tag is accurate then we won't be getting just a basic woodie. If we are then Merlin have been vastly overcharged by about £5million.

It will be interesting to see what makes SW8 a 'secret weapon'. On the face of it it's a simple family thrill woodie, although we all know there will be more to it, whether that be an expensive element (TowersTimes washing machine coming to life?) or something not so exciting (world's first wickerman wooden family thrill rollercoaster?) . I'm surprised this hasn't become a topic of discussion in the SW8 thread.

I don't think any Secret Weapon ever has disappointed in terms of guest reception and feedback. So I see no reason why it cannot be used for projects that will wow and impress people the same way as previous SW projects have.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The park has every right to use the SW tag, it's them who pay for the marketing and the ride itself, not Wardley.

No no, they really don't have the right at all. Not in the slightest. It's disrepectful, distasteful, dishonourable, but totally in-line with the arrogant and shady attitude of the parks parent company.

The effectiveness of any SW codenane in terms of marketing will be nil.

Wardley was retired for both those rides and although he still had some input into them he was technically retired. He went on record stating he had very little input into Th13teen and The Smiler and it was the brainchild of Candy Holland and her team.

He's openly said in numerous talks and presentations that he did the layout for both Th13teen and The Smiler, and he also showed how he came up with the drop track. He wasn't retired either, Merlin employed him as a consultant not long after their buyout and so we hent on to design Saw at Thorpe etc.

Candy does all the visuals, concepts, theming etc. As far as I know she's not a ride designer.

John strikes me as an extremely modest man, and I can understand that in his later years he probably wanted to divert some of the attention away from himself on to the other people at Merlin.

Last edited: