• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is there still a place for Tycoon Games?

Blizzard

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Gotta be Oblivion tbh!
After looking at my "Game Drawer" of which most of them are tycoon type games (aka. strategy). It seems all the games were from 2006 and bellow. After searching the internet for some more games to expand my collection I found nothing up do date but airport tycoon etc. that don't have the complexity of games that allow you to truly design things and make proffits as in most tycoon games.

Simple strategy games such as JP Operation Genesis were great games but such games are no longer produced (with the exclusion of the sims franchise). Some older ones are not even on sale any more!

I can only hope that the re-boot of SimCity will inspire game developers to start making some more addictive strategy games. Thing is though, would they take the risk? Is todays gaming market still open for those types of games or has the market moved on?

Any one have any opinions on this?

:)

Tycoon games certainley have a place! Wether they would be purchased is another matter.....

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

I think the death-knell was probably the advent of mobile gaming where simplicity and advertising are king. Strategy should have a place in this new mobile based world, but I can't see where :(

I would have thought that the recent boom in smart phone/tablet gaming would provide the perfect platform for an RCT2 type game. It's not too graphically intensive and lends itself well to a passive style of gaming. IE you can work on it in little bits in your spare time throughout the day rather than playing it unbroken for hours on end even if the latter is how many of us choose to play RCT2.

Was talking about this at towers. In short yes, but not as much. Im using Euro Trucker which is kinda a tycoon game as you need to make your transport empire grow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in a similar situation - looking through my collection of old PC games about 95% of them (bar 2 - Half Life 1 and 2) were tycoon or simulation games. I loved Chris Sawyers Transport Tycoon almost as much as RCT 1 and 2. Hotel Tycoon was another one I enjoyed as it was neurotic to the point of excessiveness, as well as the "standard" Hospital Tycoon-esque games that I used to play. The last real Sim/tycoon game I played was SimCity 4.

I never really got into RCT3 as it was just so different from the previous two, and my computer at the time was completely incapable of handling the graphics. I have been looking for a decent new Tycoon or simulation game for a while and cannot find any ones that seem to draw my interest. I believe one of the best of recent times is the Farming Sim but its not something I see myself playing for an extended period of time.

That said, I am addicted to the Football Manager series which is a sim. I just miss the old Tycoon games more than anything. If someone were to release an updated version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe (a fantastic game) I don't think I'd see natural sunlight for many hours!

Anyone got any good recommendations of sim games I could try out?

I *love* tycoon and sim games... Used to have so many for all sorts of things! Even Mall Tycoon lol.

I'd love a few more to appear but the issue is that PC games don't have the appeal in stores anymore - and I think this makes big developers wary unless its a huge franchise. I started playing Theme Hospital again fairly recently though thanks to the awesome guys behind CorsixTH which allows the game to play on modern machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Scott said:
I *love* tycoon and sim games... Used to have so many for all sorts of things! Even Mall Tycoon lol.

I remember picking Mall Tycoon up for about 50p in gamestation one day. I must admit I didn't really enjoy it and it kind of rammed home how saturated the market was getting. It almost got to the point where there were so many tycoon games, a large number of which were abysmal, that the demand disappeared.

It is a pity as they are one of the few genres of game that make you think. I remember that it took hours of gameplay and endless tinkering to get a successful hotel working in Hotel Giant and there was very little luck about it. Compare it to the first person shooters today (that admittedly, are cinematically impressive and far more immersive than they used to be) the skill in a lot of gaming has disappeared. I think its why I enjoy football manager so much - it takes me days of game time to get a tiny team from the Blue Square South to the Premiership and it feels really rewarding when I pull it off!