• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

It's a bit windy out

pluk

TS Member
Anyone lost anything to the storm? The room facias along the back of my house have spread them far and wide across town. Damn.

Enjoying watch th O2 fall apart...

Love the name of the thread, it's not too bad here in the Midlands, or not as bad as it seems too be in other parts of the country. Still very windy though obviously.

To be honest, seeing as I actually live in one of the areas that was a red alert earlier in the day (Gloucestershire/the Forest of Dean, not far from the Severn Estuary), it actually hasn’t been too bad in my immediate village. Got quite wild at about midday, and it’s been blustery all day, but seems to have been reasonably OK. Oddly, there has been hardly any rain all day, and no notable damage at all. There are apparently a few trees down in the wider area, though, and a power cable’s down a few villages over.

This did remind me of a storm when I was about 10 where we did lose something… our trampoline mysteriously disappeared from our garden, and we discovered that it had been lifted up by the wind and blown about 5 doors down overnight, along with a few of our fence posts! That was the end of that trampoline… although given I’d broken my arm on it 6 months prior and hadn’t used it ever since and my sister felt she was getting too old for it by that point, I guess it wasn’t a big loss in that regard. It was a bit sad to have it blow that far down and get all damaged, though…

Last edited:
Dad's bird-feeding contraption has come out of the ground again today. No matter how much it's anchored into the garden, it still finds a way to fall flat when it's really windy, so it looks like more modifications will be made to ensure it stays stable. Basically, it's something he cobbled together - and improved on over a number of months - to make a bird feeder that's squirrel-proof. Why he didn't buy one and save himself the hassle, I don't know, but he likes a challenge. :p

I live right in the red zone, in a coastal area, on the "Bristol Channel/Severn Estuary" (it's the same thing really) and Channel 4 News thought it was important enough even to broadcast from Weston seafront tonight.

But all in all I thought it was a little lame really. It's been bloody windy, as I write I can hear it howling away outside the house. Glad I brought the rabbits in for the day, parked on the street so that the coach House tiles don't land on my car (again) and put the recycling buckets in the garage (seriously, North Somerset has the worst recycling apparatus in the UK of any council I know). But other than a few leaves blowing around and some rather awesome waves crashing into the seafront it's been a little underwhelming compared to what it was hyped up as.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad no one was hurt and it has pretty much lasted from dawn to.... well it's still on going on now. But it's hardly been what it's been hyped up to be. I don't understand why the schools closed, the kids have been eating me out of house and home all day whilst I was slaving away at work.

Had to be asked though, how did the SSC look swaying away @NuttySquirrel? Heard both Severn Crossings were closed by mid morning (at least that what a friendly guy from Warburtons head office in Yorkshire told me as to why I wasn't getting a bread delivery today). Can't imagine what it was like down Severn Beach today!

Not what it was hyped up to be...unless you are one of the four dead.
Lots of roofs missing, roads blocked and fallen trees round here...nearest fallen tree about fifty yards away, seen half a dozen big trees fallen in total, three on the Devil's Highway alone. Forecast seemed accurate and appropriate to me.

I live right in the red zone, in a coastal area, on the "Bristol Channel/Severn Estuary" (it's the same thing really) and Channel 4 News thought it was important enough even to broadcast from Weston seafront tonight.

But all in all I thought it was a little lame really. It's been bloody windy, as I write I can hear it howling away outside the house. Glad I brought the rabbits in for the day, parked on the street so that the coach House tiles don't land on my car (again) and put the recycling buckets in the garage (seriously, North Somerset has the worst recycling apparatus in the UK of any council I know). But other than a few leaves blowing around and some rather awesome waves crashing into the seafront it's been a little underwhelming compared to what it was hyped up as.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad no one was hurt and it has pretty much lasted from dawn to.... well it's still on going on now. But it's hardly been what it's been hyped up to be. I don't understand why the schools closed, the kids have been eating me out of house and home all day whilst I was slaving away at work.

Had to be asked though, how did the SSC look swaying away @NuttySquirrel? Heard both Severn Crossings were closed by mid morning (at least that what a friendly guy from Warburtons head office in Yorkshire told me as to why I wasn't getting a bread delivery today). Can't imagine what it was like down Severn Beach today!

Sorry to disappoint you, but it wasn't anything like as frightening as the BBC hyped it up to be! We got a few messages from friends and family on Friday morning who'd seen Severn Beach on the news and were worried about us, but we were a bit puzzled by it all really! The wind was pretty strong to be fair, house shook a few times but no damage done!

The M48 bridge will close if anyone so much as breathes on it; unusual for the M4 to close as well but it's happened before.

To be honest, the worst thing about the storm is that there's now an unsightly bin bag stuck in a tree across the road and I think we'll have to wait until Storm F____ for it to shift!

Just spotted half a dead tree and about ten foot of stone wall down in the local cemetery...the dead centre of the Devil's Highway.
I "won" three big builders bags on the dog walk.

I have to say the wind here has kept me up all night
It’s doing my head in. Not looking forward to the drive up north today

To be honest, the worst thing about the storm is that there's now an unsightly bin bag stuck in a tree across the road and I think we'll have to wait until Storm F____ for it to shift!

Update: No sign of Storm Franklin shifting the bin bag :( Might have to get up there with a gert big stick!