• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

larger people on rides (will my friends fit really need an answer to this)

chris556

TS Member
ok so the two people coming with me to Alton towers are 6ft maybe just over broad and overweight will they fit. anyone on here of similar dimensions i am asking because i would hate to have my friends be completely embarrassed and unable to go on anything especially as justin has never been to Alton towers before. as for my self i am about a 44 inc chest so should fit on everything. and thank you for the help

Off the top of my head I can't recall the maximum chest size for the coasters, but there are test seats at Oblivion, Rita and Air as far as I remember, so definitely try them!

Sent using Tapatalk

If I remember rightly B&M's (Nemesis, Air, and Oblivion) are usually 51 inch chest restriction for the OTSRs. There are Big Boy seats on row 5(?) of Nemesis I think. The Smiler has the largest restraints on park at I think 57 inches, and if one of you is sat behind the other you can tell if the restraint is locked by the green LED in the headrest (It should light up if locked).

Rita is probably the worst I think, as there are people here who I wouldn't call large by any means, but find the belt to be tight.

Sazzle said:
there are test seats at Oblivion, Rita and Air as far as I remember, so definitely try them!

Whist they are using the test seats, get them to pose for a photo. Its Cheaper than a Ride photo :D

I did see a rather large gentlemen queue 3+ hours for the smiler............. and they couldn't strap him in. So I would check at first. He was rather embarrassed

Slugjc said:
I did see a rather large gentlemen queue 3+ hours for the smiler............. and they couldn't strap him in. So I would check at first. He was rather embarrassed

That's interesting actually as there is no test seat for The Smiler. You would've thought that there would be one considering the queue times.

If you're in doubt, you can always ask on the park Twitter and they usually respond fairly quickly.

Andrew said:
Slugjc said:

That's interesting actually as there is no test seat for The Smiler. You would've thought that there would be one considering the queue times.

If you're in doubt, you can always ask on the park Twitter and they usually respond fairly quickly.

Did feel for the lad 3 staff pushing as hard they could to lock but alas. Nothing

it would seem i underestimated my friends chest size he is about 50 something so prob wont fit looks at this rate i will be going on my own or canceling my booking :(

Right, after a quick search, these are the figures that have been the most common:

Oblivion and Nemesis: 52" max (and that's literally just about). There are 'big boy' seats which can accomodate larger sizes as far as I'm aware, although I think this may mean the 52" seats. They easily fit a person with a 49" chest.

Air: 50" (But large legs means that a rider will not be able to fit)

TH13TEEN: Can easily fit a person with a 49" chest

Rita: A person with a 49" chest couldn't fit.

Submission: A struggle to get a 49" person to fit but it still worked albeit with a bit of pain (much like the ride for smaller people anyway).

Spinball: Now, there are different stories about this. Some say that pretty much anyone can fit but a person with a 49" chest couldn't get the lap bar down enough. It may depend on waist size.

Ripsaw: A person with a 49" chest couldn't fit.

The Smiler: Unfortunately, I have no idea about restrictions on this. Someone here may know.

Other rides: All other rides should be fine for anyway as a person with a 49" chest was reported to easily fit in.

So, if you go: Probably best not to try Rita, Air, and Ripsaw. Nemesis and Oblivion will be fine as long as you use the big boy seats (Row 4 for all trains on Nemesis and you need to ask on Oblivion as only certain shuttles have these). TH13TEEN will be fine. Spinball is questionable. All other rides *should* be fine.

*All information from a user on ATA who has a chest size of 49". Results may differ. ;) *

The Smiler is the most accommodating roller coaster on park.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I workout 6 days a week and am 27. I went in late September at the end of a bulk cycle and I found the restrictions quite interesting.

To help you get my size at the time i went i was:
6ft2
Weight 130kg
Chest 51"
Waist 38"
Quads 28"
Calfs 17"
Arms 19"

I found it easy to get on Thirteen, The Smiler, Oblivion.

With AIR I was at the limits but did not need help, I found my quads were the problem along with calfs. The seat outside i would say is a bit hit and miss.

Runaway... i managed to fit in with a slimish mate but i wont do that again he was seriously crushed by my weight and back!

Nemesis Sub... Fine but i think i managed to scare the ?*!* out of the people in my row as they were all tiny and although the bar was tight on my quads they were loose!

RITA.. (THE PROBLEM) I did get on rita after alot of fiddling and being pushed down on. Here it was my chest and back that caused the problems. So all in all this is the problematic ride.

Remember my physique is Mesomorph but i hope the sizes can help you guys.

thanks for this we have 5 months to loose some weight so we are just going to go for it and your chest size is actually bigger than my mates so should be fine

No worries, but remember if in doubt use the test seat and if struggling get a mate to push down gently as the staff do. I had a problem years ago fitting on air when it was new, as i was obese, now its the opposite with my build so good luck!

Another tip if your weight training as well as Cardio would be to restrict leg workouts 2 weeks before you go so they are not the biggest. Its also a good idea not to get a 'pump' if your large (muscular or heavy) so avoid climbing the gardens 30 mins prior. I found this made a huge difference to my four flights on AIR. The difference might be minuscule but it defo made it more comfortable for me.