• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Dungeons

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
As has been known for a while now, the London Dungeons could be moving from the current site on Tooley Street by London Bridge Station to London County Hall, occupying the same building as the Aquarium, and being very close to the London Eye. All of the relevant documentation is located here.
http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-a ... MTDBOHV000
There are 57 documents related to the application, and from the plans, it looks like the first section will be on the lower floor, including the boat ride, which could possibly have a new lift system. The order of the rooms looks like it will be rather different to what is currently there. Vengeance is not specifically mentioned, although it could be in the 'Turning Room' found on the left of the proposed ground floor plan. Having said this, though, there is no mention of a ride like Vengeance in the Design Statement, so it might not make an appearance - we'll just have to wait and see. Extremis looks like it is going to be there as well, but it could be taller (not by much, though :p), and it looks like it may well be top-loading and bottom-unloading, which is intriguing.

I've only done the Dungeons once (and that was on very little sleep, so cheers, Diogo :p), but it looks like they could make this work if they do it carefully. Understandably, a major issue is that there would be so many more tourists along Queen's Walk, what with the Eye and the Aquarium there as well, plus it is a worry of some that the current location on Tooley Street is excellent, and the move to County Hall could mean that some of the atmosphere is lost. Still, it could work. So what are your thoughts?

I've only been once back in 2008 but would love to go back again. Will be interesting to see what the new place will look like with the Dungeons.

Have to agree that Queen's Walk is always filled to the brim with tourists but there's not really a lot you can do about that aha.

Personally like where the dungeons Are now but looking from the outside it doesn't like they have much room to expand I don't know if that is the case but I can see why merlin would want it to be moved to be closer to the other attractions in the area

Update, spotted by Lofty on CF.

LondonNet said:
London Dungeon to Move to the South Bank with Brian Blessed as its King
Gruesome attraction to lurk beneath the old County Hall, near the London Eye

LONDON DUNGEON is to move to a new £20 million lair beneath the old County Hall on the South Bank, from its current home near London Bridge, and is to feature Brian Blessed as Henry VIIIth.

The move takes place next March and the new site will allow London Dungeon to "take things to a whole new level," according to Ben Sweet, London Dungeon General Manager.

"We're transforming the cavernous depths of County Hall into a vast stage on which we will dramatically recreate some of the most momentous happenings in the capital's dark past," said Sweet.

The new venue will keep hold of the old place's popular themes - the plague, Jack the Ripper, Sweeney Todd and so on – but will introduce "new shows and rides" that Sweet promises will be "more dramatic than ever".

"We're not just moving address, we're creating something new and dynamic that's scream-out-loud scary and laugh-out-loud funny at the same time," he added.

Among the new attractions is a section on wife-murderer Henry VIIIth, played virtually by thespian legend Brian Blessed, who will send visitors on a boat ride to their 'execution'.

The new London Dungeon opens on 1 March 2013, while the current venue, on Tooley St, closes on 31 January.

Brian Blessed ftw.

Let me see if my meet diary is free for going to the openi- YES! Am completely and utterly excited to see this now, I don't fancy visiting the London Dungeon in the Tooley state now since it's halfway through moving.

Brian Blessed, you say?

Sold. I'd love to go! :D

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Concept art from the Evening Standard.

x0QZW.jpg

zjPCT.jpg

W9Dk4.jpg

It looks and sounds ten times better than the current dungeons! I LOVE the guillotine urinals, so darkly witty! :D

I love the added Guy Fawkes in the last photo, rather fitting seeing as County Hall is opposite the Houses of Parliament. What is the running order if that's been confirmed?

I must be the only person who likes the look of the one in London Bridge a lot better. That doesn't really "Feel" right, the one in London Bridge does in my opinion.

I imagine the whole point of moving it is because of the redevelopment of London Bridge station? Of course that way it's understandable. After 2018 (When the redevelopment finishes) I wonder if they bother moving it back or just keep it where it is?

I might take some exterior construction photos since I live about a 5 minute journey from the site, Need to visit the one in London Bridge before closes though

No - of course they won't move it back. This South Bank site is perfect for The Dungeon; it's surrounded by three other huge Merlin Attractions - and the space available will be great!

They used to have the Guillotine urinals, interestingly: The Urinals at the London Dungeons

Very excited about this!

Out of interest - the boat ride is 3 stories high; how high is that in feet?

nickhutson said:
No - of course they won't move it back. This South Bank site is perfect for The Dungeon.

The one near London Bridge is really close to Thames and you can literally walk to new site if you wanted to, even though that part of South London is not considered the South Bank. I imagine though they're moving it because of the space, I presume there isn't a lot due to London Bridge Tube Station literally next door to it.

Might make a trip to the opening of the new Dungeons :) I am in London that whole weekend so will add that to my list of things to do.

My only criticism at the moment is that the entrance doesn't look much like a Dungeon. The nice thing about Tooley Street is that it did feel like the entrance to a dungeon. Glass doors... not really.

That aside there are a lot of advantages to the new home.

Eddie said:
The one near London Bridge is really close to Thames and you can literally walk to new site if you wanted to, even though that part of South London is not considered the South Bank.
Yeah, takes a good 20mins or so to get there though by walking. Done it many a time, but must take some people by surprise!

Tim said:
My only criticism at the moment is that the entrance doesn't look much like a Dungeon. The nice thing about Tooley Street is that it did feel like the entrance to a dungeon. Glass doors... not really.

That aside there are a lot of advantages to the new home.
Completely agree.

I am, however, looking forward to this immensely! Especially with Brian Blessed being on board - He's got such a character to him, especially in that booming voice of his! I managed to meet him earlier this year, (See this thread), & I have to say, he'll most certainly carry out the acting fantastically!

Surely those glass doors aren't going to be reality, that'd be the worst thing Merlin have ever built I think...

I've always wanted to go to the London Dungeons, now that Brian Blessed is involved I have no choice but to go, even if its by myself :eek: