• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Luna Park Sydney announces $30m expansion with 9 new rides

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
In a very unexpected announcement, Luna Park in Sydney, currently known for being the home of the Blackpool Wild Mouse’s operational sibling, has announced that the park will close for 6 months in order to facilitate a $30m overhaul of the park which will include 9 new rides.

The largest of these will be Big Dipper, the world’s first Intamin Hot Racer (essentially their take on an RMC Raptor, but launched):

There will also be 2 other coasters; an indoor kiddie coaster, and a family shuttle coaster.

These will open in 2021.

Exciting stuff, don’t you think?
EDIT: Here’s the official press release: https://getthewordout.com.au/press-...invest-30-million-on-major-upgrade-new-rides/

In a very unexpected announcement, Luna Park in Sydney, currently known for being the home of the Blackpool Wild Mouse’s operational sibling, has announced that the park will close for 6 months in order to facilitate a $30m overhaul of the park which will include 9 new rides.

The largest of these will be Big Dipper, the world’s first Intamin Hot Racer (essentially their take on an RMC Raptor, but launched):

There will also be 2 other coasters; an indoor kiddie coaster, and a family shuttle coaster.

These will open in 2021.

Exciting stuff, don’t you think?
EDIT: Here’s the official press release: https://getthewordout.com.au/press-...invest-30-million-on-major-upgrade-new-rides/

Is that seriously going to open next year? I would doubt that.

The Big Dipper is set to open in 12 months time and the park will be completely closed for 6 months from end of January so it’s all completely possible. The other 8 rides are supposed to be ready when the park reopens in July 2021.

A lot of Aussie headline rides open in Q4 of the calendar year, I don't think it's too much of a stretch. Great little park nestled under the bridge, visited a good number of times when living in Sydney. Hope this doesn't mean that they will be looking to axe their wooden mouse.

This will be the park's third ride called 'Big Dipper', the first was closed after the devastating Ghost Train fire in 1979 that killed six kids, the second was embroiled in a bitter row over noise and after the 2000 Olympics, it was agreed to sell it, where it moved to Dreamworld, where it still operates.

Here's a great shot that illustrates where Luna Park is in Sydney, if you haven't been.

ox1BDvc.jpg

It looks like really good fun. As @Rob says not quite as crazy as a RMC raptor but think that's probably a good thing. The trains also look a lot better than the raptor trains which have those awkward looking OTSR things.
Overall think it'll probably be fairly popular and definitely a challenge for RMC to contend with. I also wouldn't be surprised if Intamin do a family friendly version with no inversions which I also think would be quite good fun.

Looks identical to the Raptor if you ask me
RMC may have something ti say about that!
The track is quite a bit different actually, to be fair I didn't notice it until someone pointed them out to me side by side. But I do see where you are coming from but I think it's good that RMC has some competition in that space.
The track on the intamin is rounded at the bottom while the track on the RMC's is square.
The restraints also look quite different with this intamin one being more of a lap bar while the RMC's have this sort of part vest part OTSR thing.

The track is quite a bit different actually, to be fair I didn't notice it until someone pointed them out to me side by side. But I do see where you are coming from but I think it's good that RMC has some competition in that space.
The track on the intamin is rounded at the bottom while the track on the RMC's is square.
The restraints also look quite different with this intamin one being more of a lap bar while the RMC's have this sort of part vest part OTSR thing.
Thanks I’ll take a closer look
I think the colour scheme doesn’t help

Isn’t that just what the RMC ones are like as well though? They use a modified form of I-box track. The only difference (as I understand it) is the circular base of the Intamin single rail track