• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

M&D's: General Discussion

What's that supposed to mean?

I'm not offended or anything I'm just curious to know what you mean by that?

Maybe I went a bit over board there, but in terms of theme parks Scotland really has no luck and granted you can say it is a UK wide thing, but all I want is something half decent for Scotland to make me feel good about our status and not having to rely going on trips down south or to Europe to help this. Scotland really is the butt monkey and with Ireland having actually gotten something looking decent, that has made the pain worse IMO.

How I hope that we get a miracle for M&D's, credit where it's due to trying to expand the park, but I don't know how they can improve on themselves as they have quite honestly nothing to compete with them so surely they might use this to their advances.

But yeah, roll on a 9th hand Pinfari…:(

I really like what Mellors have done with Fantasy Island so far, if a company like them came in, they could really clean up the place.

Honestly Skyways would be an improvement over what they have.

I know it will never happen, but Scotland has perfect terrain for something like this: https://rcdb.com/9039.htm

I wonder if weather plays a role. Also population density

Lol I know it would be. The woodie would be awesome but I think we are all mad for wood at the moment.

Thank you thank you im here till Thursday :D

A wooden coaster? Absolutely never... I know they are usually cheaper than steel coasters, but a park with M&D's track record... I'm not sure I'd trust them to maintain it properly

Maybe I went a bit over board there, but in terms of theme parks Scotland really has no luck.
In terms of theme parks absolutely

There has been talk of an alpine rollercoaster getting built at Hillend ski centre, I think they're just trying to find the money to do it at least that's what I last heard of it

A wooden coaster? Absolutely never... I know they are usually cheaper than steel coasters, but a park with M&D's track record... I'm not sure I'd trust them to maintain it properly
I know what you mean Robert but it would still be better than a another pinfari.

It's also possible that M and D's could get local suppliers and tradesmen to help build it and greet customers would just make sure it was designed properly.

I think that's what happened when awkward first built megaphobia.

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems to be the only thread we have covering more general developments at M&D's on this forum and I had some news to share.

The news I bumped this thread to share is that things currently aren't looking too good for them. Presumably due to the coronavirus pandemic, they have made the decision to temporarily lay off all of their staff: https://scotlandsthemepark.com/

Here's the statement on their website:
M&D's said:
Due to a downturn in business and the challenges the tourism industry is currently facing, the directors have been forced to take the difficult move to temporarily lay off staff.

As a family-run business this is one of the hardest times we have faced in our 24 years here at M&D's. Most of our staff have been with us for many years and we are devastated that we have had to make this decision.

We have looked at all options to avoid this and have taken advice from industry bodies, but unfortunately this was the only solution. We will be reviewing the situation again in three weeks.

During this period, the theme park, indoor complex, Alona Hotel, Amazonia, Krazy Congo and Cosmic Bowl will temporarily close.

And they are now also attempting to sell Tornado:
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3167581319921334&id=290972317582263

In terms of the £3m expansion mentioned when this thread was last bumped 2 years ago, nothing seems to have materialised for that yet, although RCDB seems to have a steel sit down coaster listed as opening in 2020 at M&D's: https://rcdb.com/16613.htm

So what do you guys think about the current M&D's situation? I don't personally think that it will necessarily be the end for the park, but I think it will be a rough couple of months for them, for sure. Although on a more optimistic front, maybe Tornado's sale could be to facilitate construction on the expansion?

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems to be the only thread we have covering more general developments at M&D's on this forum and I had some news to share.

The news I bumped this thread to share is that things currently aren't looking too good for them. Presumably due to the coronavirus pandemic, they have made the decision to temporarily lay off all of their staff: https://scotlandsthemepark.com/

Here's the statement on their website:

And they are now also attempting to sell Tornado:
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3167581319921334&id=290972317582263

In terms of the £3m expansion mentioned when this thread was last bumped 2 years ago, nothing seems to have materialised for that yet, although RCDB seems to have a steel sit down coaster listed as opening in 2020 at M&D's: https://rcdb.com/16613.htm

So what do you guys think about the current M&D's situation? I don't personally think that it will necessarily be the end for the park, but I think it will be a rough couple of months for them, for sure. Although on a more optimistic front, maybe Tornado's sale could be to facilitate construction on the expansion?
I doubt Tornado is worth much given the reputation it has but I wouldn't be surprised if it is sold to a third world country, despite the ride being awful it would be a massive dent in the park's lineup that they probably won't be able to fill. I think either the park announces they are closed in 3 weeks time or they limp through 2020 and collapse at the end of the season.

The park has no redeeming features.

Without wanting to sound harsh, it is probably for the best that the place does close and hopefully that results in a handful more visitors to BPB and Lightwater Valley, which might be needed to keep them afloat.

Think Lightwater is going to go anyway.
Last year was poor, this year simply isnt.
School trips are their main revenue, and that is gone.

Since I became an enthusiast I’ve seen about half the UK parks close and only a few new ones open: Frontierland, Spanish City, Marvels, Coney Beach, American Adventure, Camelot, Pleasure Island, The Rotunda, Pleasurama, Loudon Castle, Metroland, Crinkley Bottom, Grove Land… every time a park’s closed people have optimistically said, “At least their visitors will go to another park and give them a big boost”. One way or another it hasn’t worked out like that. If it had, then all of our parks would be brimming with visitors (at least when they’re not in lock down) and the parks that have survived would be doing incredibly well. When theme parks close, their visitors don’t seem to simply transfer over to a different theme park.

For these smaller parks like M&Ds I suspect a lot of their visitors come from a relatively small catchment area and won’t visit a theme park if their local one closes. It could even go the other way, where if people have a good time at M&Ds (judging by some of the comments, this might be a crazy thought) then they decide to go further afield to try out more theme parks. A lot of people won’t travel a long way for something they might not like.

M&Ds is one of the few UK parks (kids parks aside) I haven’t visited. Probably one of three along with Brean Leisure Park and Pleasurewood Hills. It will be a shame to see another UK park close. It doesn’t seem like a good time to be trying to sell a roller coaster, so one assumes that it’s either got something majorly wrong with it (which is why potential buyers are likely to be weary), or they’re just desperate. Perhaps a bit of both.

Since I became an enthusiast I’ve seen about half the UK parks close and only a few new ones open: Frontierland, Spanish City, Marvels, Coney Beach, American Adventure, Camelot, Pleasure Island, The Rotunda, Pleasurama, Loudon Castle, Metroland, Crinkley Bottom, Grove Land… every time a park’s closed people have optimistically said, “At least their visitors will go to another park and give them a big boost”. One way or another it hasn’t worked out like that. If it had, then all of our parks would be brimming with visitors (at least when they’re not in lock down) and the parks that have survived would be doing incredibly well. When theme parks close, their visitors don’t seem to simply transfer over to a different theme park.

For these smaller parks like M&Ds I suspect a lot of their visitors come from a relatively small catchment area and won’t visit a theme park if their local one closes. It could even go the other way, where if people have a good time at M&Ds (judging by some of the comments, this might be a crazy thought) then they decide to go further afield to try out more theme parks. A lot of people won’t travel a long way for something they might not like.

M&Ds is one of the few UK parks (kids parks aside) I haven’t visited. Probably one of three along with Brean Leisure Park and Pleasurewood Hills. It will be a shame to see another UK park close. It doesn’t seem like a good time to be trying to sell a roller coaster, so one assumes that it’s either got something majorly wrong with it (which is why potential buyers are likely to be weary), or they’re just desperate. Perhaps a bit of both.
List of parks that have closed in the last 10 years
Loudoun Castle (3 coasters at closing)
Camelot (5 coasters at closing)
Lost World Adventure Park (0 coasters since 1980)
Sherwood Forest Fun Park (1 coaster at closing)
Pleasure Island (3 coasters at closing)
Helensburgh Pier (operated like a summer fair without permanent rides)
List of parks that have opened in the last 10 years
Pavilion Fun Park (1 coaster)
Colin Glen Forest Park (1 coaster)
Funland at the Tropicana (2 coasters)
Zip World (1 coaster)
Sandwell Valley Amusements (1 coaster)
Source: RCDB
So we've had three fairly large closures and the new parks haven't been nearly as large. You have to go back to the 1990s to find any new, large parks (Fantasy Island and Legoland)

To be fair, we have got Gulliver's Valley being built for a targeted opening at some point this year, and the London Resort is still on the cards for 2024. Even though it's not a theme park, there is also that huge waterpark apparently being built in Manchester for 2023.

But I wouldn't say that we've had any properly major parks open in Britain since about the 1990s, and a number of reasonably high-profile parks have shut since then. However, we did have a huge boom period between the late 1970s and early 1990s where a number of large parks were built, so I guess Britain's theme park industry is just past its major growth stage.

Matt, give it up!
I admit that chances of it materialising look increasingly shaky, especially with coronavirus hitting the tourism industry. But I'm still cautiously hopeful until they announce cancellation officially or it just sort of vanishes; they released a new set of plans fairly recently, so I think there is still a definite drive for it to open!

I admit that chances of it materialising look increasingly shaky, especially with coronavirus hitting the tourism industry. But I'm still cautiously hopeful until they announce cancellation officially or it just sort of vanishes; they released a new set of plans fairly recently, so I think there is still a definite drive for it to open!

What part of "they have no money" aren't you getting? They are just fantasists. Unless there's capital behind them there's no chance in hell of it going ahead. I think they've got less than £25m right now. They need about another 2-3bn. It's not happening.

What part of "they have no money" aren't you getting? They are just fantasists. Unless there's capital behind them there's no chance in hell of it going ahead. I think they've got less than £25m right now. They need about another 2-3bn. It's not happening.
I thought some rich Middle Eastern family was funding it? As well as the company that dealt with infrastructure for London 2012? I think they definitely have plans for where they're getting funding from, and besides, even if it doesn't end up materialising, Therme Manchester still looks to be a very promising project for the British tourism industry; that is almost definitely happening, as it's got planning permission, is being built by a company with experience operating similar attractions in Europe and was announced right in the middle of when coronavirus started affecting the tourism industry, so I don't see any reason for it not to happen, personally.

Anyway, in terms of M&D's, I fear that it could be a hard few months for them...

I would be upset to see M&D's close. It's awful but it's one of only a handful of amusement parks in Scotland. Personally I don't think those going to M&D's would drive to an English park instead - those who want a good theme park experience probably already do while the folks going to M&D's will be using the bowling and other indoor attractions (I can't remember what there is, and their website has gone off line) as much as they use the theme park.

I thought they were going to close after the Tsunami incident. I visited the following year and the park was dead. Most of the staff were very friendly. Only visit if you're interested in credits or unique coasters - both the Tornado and the Runaway Mine Train can't be found anywhere else. Sadly everything after the two loops on Tornado is rough to the point of being painful to ride. I struggled to fill two hours even with a leisurely lunch break.