Major Ride Closures 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AstroDan, 20th Nov 2015.

1. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I'd love you to be right mate. Fancy a wager? Bet you a stein prices go up. ;)

2. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I am not a betting man, and it's certainly the "cool" thing to do to go "yeah, they're idiots, prices will rise" - but I just can't see it myself. At least not at first.

3. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Time will tell, old bean.

4. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

I wouldn't be surprised if entry tickets remain the same price and they hike the prices of parking tokens.

5. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

Do you really think they care about the parks enough to read the fan forums?

6. Stuntman707

Stuntman707 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    What I would really like to see in 2016, Is some major TLC, all the broken scenery and theming fixed, the scaffolding taken off Rita and a revamped station for Nemesis. Then I will believe that Merlin genuinely care about Alton Towers.

7. Jables

Jables TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Stormforce 10
    You must believe in miracles.

8. josht

josht TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    bandit (movie park)
    The small scrap of hope has been completely smashed from possibly the best scarefest and fireworks.
    Merlin have basically destroyed towers ever since they've taken it over.
    The "worlds first logic" hasn't done them any good in the past decade it's not hard to buy coasters from either b&m or mack and the bloody theming screams help
    How do they expect people to enjoy themselves without being completely intoxicated or chemically impaired

9. Stuntman707

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I don't even care if there aren't any new rides. Just fix the park back up to it's glory days and id be happy to visit again.

Burbs and Coaster like this.
  10. Kernow71

Kernow71 TowersStreet Member

AstroDan
    You started this thread off with 'sources close to the park'. You are (in my humble opinion) the person, as a long time lurker and very occasional poster, who's opinion I trust. Are this cuts really going to happen?

11. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

Starting to feel the same way. Merlin don't give two monkeys about Alton T

They just don't love it and are not as passionate about it as we are. :(

12. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I'm fairly sure if Dan didn't think they were going ahead then he wouldn't have posted this thread.

MaxPower and Jonathan like this.
  13. Stuntman707

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I do like B&M coasters, you can tell they are quality machines. Unfortunately, the buyers probably look at Gerstlauer and think they can still do what we want and they're cheaper. Then we get "teething issues".

14. DiogoJ42

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Actually they have proven many times over the years that they do did keep an eye on the fan forums. (Mainly by threatening legal action against us). Of course, those people would probably be the first to be laid off, so whether or not they are reading now I couldn't say...

Last edited: 22nd Nov 2015
  15. Stelios

Stelios TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Its freaky how Blackpool itself as in the area has been trying to rejuvenate for years to get more punters it but this really could just be down to the reduced amount of Towers guests instead flocking to there. I certainly fancy a visit next year for the first time since 2012, more rides and decent prices. The lack of themeing in some areas is made up for with Valhalla.
    Love that ride.

Stevie likes this.
  16. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I'd also be very surprised if they raised prices and I also believe that these cuts will happen.

I think the 'World First' Argument posted above has is very credible. If you look at some of the best rides coming out, they aren't necessarily 'World First'. They are tried and tested popular attractions but with the money spent on the theme and story. One of Alton and Merlin downfalls is the lack of story in their brand, this is where they really are (like some have mentioned) Six Flags. The most successful parks I can think of all have a story/character in their branding which means they can make money on merchandise that's legitimately worth buying unlike the generic tat with logos stuck on that we have at Merlin destinations.

IanB and BarryZola like this.
  17. Morgan Price

Morgan Price TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wicker Man
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not bothered about many of the ride closures. I've never liked the idea of Ripsaw, I've never been on The Flume, CATCF isn't really a 'must do' and I'm too old for The Driving School. The only ride that I'll miss is Hex.

Hopefully ticket prices go down. Even if they go down by £5, tickets could probably be more affordable for people.

18. MaxPower

What did shock me a few years ago when Thirteen opened was that even John Wardley said he didn't think the back story was needed for new attractions, as the guests either don't get or appreciate the story.

My answer to that would be to make the story an integral part of the ride like Hex, not simply played on an audio loop as a bit of background noise like Nemesis used to.

DiogoJ42 and Croftybaby like this.
  19. Morgan Price

Morgan Price TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wicker Man
    I will admit, I've only really just figured out about the full backstory of Th13teen

20. MaxPower

How was anybody supposed to figure it out?

There's no pre show, no real plot line to follow, and that's been the real problem with this latest attractions. They've even made the relatively well known, simple story of CATCF seem confusing and complex.

DiogoJ42 and Croftybaby like this.