Mardi Gras & Oktoberfest 2021

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 29th Mar 2021.

1. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

Free entry if you dress up as a pancake and bring a frying pan.

Funcone, Ben, Matt.GC and 2 others like this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew TS Contributor

Mardi Gras is a great choice - little bit off with the timing in the year but it’s a great way to have a colourful celebration.

I’ll be interested to see if they have any sort of parade going for this

3. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Excellent news.

I'm sure we'll see the event run 7, 8 or 9pm at weekends and holidays and earlier in the week. Rather like Oktoberfest.

In term time, there's little point opening much after 5 or 6pm.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

AT86, Alsty and jon81uk like this.
  4. pj

pj TowersStreet Member

Yeah but knowing our luck it will be all the male vloggers who get their man boobs out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Great stuff Towers, looking forward to these.

Last year, for many of us, was a bad one, with cancelled holidays and not seeing family members - The day i went to Oktoberfest was my very favourite day of the year. It was lovelty, laidback, friendly and funny as well. With reduced capacity at the park, and many choosing to spend a couple of hours relaxing in front of the stage, the rides weren't too packed either.

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

I'm all for events and I'm sure Mardi Gras will be well delivered if Octoberfest is anything to go by, but it seems like an odd theme to go for when it is tied to a specific date nowhere near the date of the event, and based on a traditional religious festival.

7. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

I just think Mardi Gras is catchier than “Green and Purple Carnival Themed Party with New Orleans Street Food Vendors (GaPCTPwNOSFV)”

Funcone, Steve74 and Skyscraper like this.
  8. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

...or just "Carnival".
    That wouldn't be three months behind the times.

Last edited: 31st Mar 2021
    Skyscraper, jon81uk and pluk like this.
  9. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I've seen a few comments about having a Mardi Gras event at a time when Mardi Gras isn't taking place. It doesn't really bother me; it gives the event an identity and definitely sounds more appealing than say 'Alton Towers Carvinal'.

Six Flags Great America have a ride themed around Mardi Gras, Busch Gardens Williamsburg have an Oktoberfest area. These things work any time of the year!

Skyscraper likes this.
  10. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I've got to say it is simply amazing seeing Alton Towers move up another level in terms of year-round events.

I have always yearned for longer opening hours and more variety in terms of visits throughout the season, I'm sure a lot of annual pass holders and regular visitors are in the same boat there.

The park are going to get A LOT more money out of me this year, as a result of higher food and beverage spend when I visit. A relaxed lunch and a couple of pints will finally become the norm. I love the entertainment too.

I certainly don't think I'll get bored of the place this year either, normally by June time I've had enough until Scarefest. That has changed in recent years.

Last edited: 31st Mar 2021
    AstroDan, Matt.GC, Nerdsticks and 3 others like this.
  11. Rosie

Rosie TowersStreet Member

Same here! In recent years I've visited once at the beginning of the season and usually once over Scarefest but i think there may be a few more visits on the cards this year! Really nice to have some positive additions and it finally feels as if they're making an effort to get people back.

Skyscraper likes this.
  12. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

I'm exited...for multiple, bouncing, reasons, but I wish they had gone with a different theme, Mardi Gras just doesn't feel very "Alton Towers" to me, if that makes sense.

Time will tell though.

Skyscraper likes this.
  13. tayspru

Its also entirely possibly Towers want to avoid prominent use of the word Carnival , seeing as especially in the U.K. the first connection is a travelling carnival, which many view as unsafe or “dodgy” (I won’t use the slur, but travelling fairs completely unfairly have a negative perception in many areas)

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  14. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

Something something new rides!

15. tayspru

Everyone on this forum understands travelling rides are safe, and I expect most guests won’t make any connection with the temporary rides that are being installed. Unfortunately, the reputation of travelling rides - by totally ignorant individuals - is totally down to outdated and stereotypical perceptions of the operators of traveling attractions. So Towers from a PR perspective would very likely want to avoid the word carnival while still using temporary attractions

Heidi likes this.
  16. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

It might be a regional thing, but I don't associate the word carnival with travelling fairgrounds at all. To me it is a procession of floats and shows, or an outdoor party, nothing ride related at all. If anything Madrid Gras is a term with more troubling undertones!

Skyscraper likes this.
  17. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

There are theme parks out there that have a year round Octoberfest and start Halloween in August. I think folk are over stressing this.

Pixie-Ro, Rosie, Matt.GC and 2 others like this.
  18. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

No stress, just pedantry!

19. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

No stress, I'm not against it, I don't think its a problem. Just an observation.

20. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Mardi Gras doesn't interest me in the slightest however a lot of people seem to be positive about it so good luck to them. More events can't be a bad thing either.

Just hope it's not a cash grab based decision from the park.