• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin building Legoland in Shanghai for 2022

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Not sure how long ago this was announced, but I don’t think we have a topic for it. Merlin are apparently building yet another Asian Legoland, this time in Shanghai. The park is apparently costing $300million and is prepared for a 2022 opening. Nick Varney has said that the park will be similar in size to the Japan and Korea parks, and will be in the Qingpu District of Shanghai. All I can say is... another bloomin’ Legoland?

So it’s going to be another small park? Seems a shame given that they’ve already got a Discovery Centre in Shanghai. I hoped it would be a big park to at least justify having 2 Lego attractions in the same city.

So it’s going to be another small park? Seems a shame given that they’ve already got a Discovery Centre in Shanghai. I hoped it would be a big park to at least justify having 2 Lego attractions in the same city.
I think so. Doesn't really make much sense being a small park, does it, especially considering that Japan hasn't done too well.

Is that eleven Legolands either operating or under construction? It’s got to be the Lego brand which is drawing so many people into these parks. Rather than the attraction quality itself, which can be... variable.

If this park is anything like Windsor, then I dread to think of what any remotely busy period will be like...

I thought Korea was going to be huge?

They'll build what makes sense for the location, I'm sure.

I'm really hoping it'll be more Chinese-influenced than the other Lego parks - Lego even have their own Chinese sets now that they can base it on!

200.gif

An update on this project today.

CONSTRUCTION OF ONE OF THE LARGEST LEGOLAND PARKS IN THE WORLD EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN 2021
POSTED ON 06 NOVEMBER 2020

Merlin Entertainments today announces that it has entered into a formal co-operation agreement with the Shanghai Jinshan District Government, CMC Inc. and KIRKBI to develop a LEGOLAND® Resort in the Jinshan District of Shanghai, China. This follows the signing of a framework agreement in November 2019, announced as part of the China International Import Expo.

https://www.merlinentertainments.bi...2020/legoland-shanghai-cooperation-agreement/

The current ‘line up’ when it comes to Legolands is:

2021: New York
2023: Korea
2024: Shanghai

Meanwhile, other parks in Merlin's portfolio are claiming they'll fold if COVID restrictions aren't lifted next year. Seems a bit sus.