• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Entertainments: General Discussion

While this is true I guess. John Wardley was the director of a company called Tussauds Park Developments from it's creation in the early 90's. I feel this company had much more of an influence and clout when it came to installing attractions. Which I believe is evident in the quality of the developments in the 90's.
John Wardley wasnt the sole director though, Tussauds attraction developments also had the then Tussauds CEO (previously the group marketing director) and Nick Varney (when he was group marketing director) as directors Im sure. Nick Varney was responsible for a lot of the creative side of Alton Towers new direction and Nemesis' theme too, other than the designs.

Dont forget Alton Towers' general manager for most those years was Chessington's former marketing manager too

But the marketing teams at parks recently, they seem to come up with the most short term rubbish and call it a success. Im not sure why. It's more about how to make the most money selling hot air now apparently

I think a lot of Merlin's park developments were based on slogans and merchandising over substance, which started as far back as Oblivion I think, though wasnt nearly as bad then.

Last edited:
It won’t make a lot of difference, if anything it could make things worse. For all his faults at least Varney had worked in the industry and had a passion for it.
To be honest I think this is far from the truth (not that Varney has a passion for the industry).

The culture of a company is always dictated from the top down. A change in leadership could well lead to a change in culture and attitude.

The marketing led culture that Merlin has absolutely comes from Nick Varney. If he is involved in picking his replacement this could well mean they pick someone with a similar approach/background.

Perhaps someone like Justin Platt who started in marketing at Alton Towers and who has risen through the Merlin ranks quite quickly. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. I believe he is Chief Strategy Officer these days.

Or perhaps the new owners aren't a fan of that style of management and, more specifically, some of the delapidated mess that they have inherited and appear to be quickly trying to rectify in a way that does not fit with decades of every penny spent needing a directly measurable return on investment?

We'll never know, but this might not be NVs true choice of time to retire, if you know what I mean...

I did wonder that myself. We'll never know of course, but sometimes there's more to these things than the public statements portray. (And sometimes there isn't)

It could be that he intended to stand down after the company went private. But Covid happened before completion and having him leave in the middle of a pandemic could have been disastrous for the company's already weakened stability. With restrictions changing recently and the recovery period starting now is the first good opportunity in nearly 3 years.

It could be that he intended to stand down after the company went private. But Covid happened before completion and having him leave in the middle of a pandemic could have been disastrous for the company's already weakened stability. With restrictions changing recently and the recovery period starting now is the first good opportunity in nearly 3 years.

It would most likely have been stipulated in the takeover that the existing CEO stays in position for a number of years to ensure a smooth handover, likely with his payout being dictated by KPI’s to ensure dedication to the role during that time. Even without Covid etc he’d never have immediately left. This is standard business practice tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would most likely have been stipulated in the takeover that the existing CEO stays in position for a number of years to ensure a smooth handover, likely with his payout being dictated by KPI’s to ensure dedication to the role during that time. Even without Covid etc he’d never have immediately left. This is standard business practice tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. I sort of factored that in because the takeover completed before Covid started. But not knowing the terms I'd have expected that date would have come sooner than this.

Has come across a stowing the line since the news of them going back private came out. Probably a good time to go but won't be easy after all these years.

Looks good for 60 in fairness.

In a way it's a shame that another one of the old guard from the 90's is leaving Merlin but hopefully this will lead to a less 'worlds first / gimmick' led approach to new developments.

Indeed, even Kay Burley couldn't put a wrinkle on him!

It would have been great for to him leave on a big hurrah. Shame he isn't going out on a bang with a major AT project.

He may have been a corporate man towards the end but he's responsible for a great portion of joy in my childhood and for that I thank and celebrate his career. I hope he enjoys retirement/pastures new.

Can't wait for Bob Chapeks lost British Brother to Become CEO of Merlin...

'Introducing, new Merlin Smiler, a better way to snatch all those pennies In your wallets with a terrible Queue Line system.'