• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Miragica 2019 Closure and Uncertain Future

This is pretty late news to be honest, but I couldn’t see a thread about it.

One of Southern Italy’s only theme parks is facing an uncertain future. The park didn’t re-open for the 2019 season but is still keeping 20 permanent staff employed to prevent deterioration, in the hope that it will re-open in 2020.

Information can be found in this article (in Italian) https://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corr...3d-11e9-9ece-1d74122878de.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

I’ve never really come across a situation like this where a park closes for an entire year and says “maybe we will, maybe we won’t” ,what’s interesting is that it was Rainbow Magicland’s sister park. Rainbow was sold earlier this year leaving Miragica on its own and seemingly struggling to support itself.

It’s pretty sad especially considering this park only opened in 2009 and didn’t even open for its 10th anniversary.

Their website has now been taken down and their social media channels have been inactive for a while, but no official announcement has been made. So who knows. 2020 is anyone’s guess.

Sad - but it seems, frankly, that the south of Italy just cannot sustain a decent/major park. I know there is quite a strong north/south divide in Italy, more-so than, say, in the UK. The two largest parks in Italy are both in the north and, to be honest, there is only one real 'resort' theme park in Italy which is Gardaland.

They have a really cute little Intamin mini Accelerator (the smallest I’ve ever seen),
https://rcdb.com/4194.htm

It would fit in really well at somewhere like Adventure Island or Lightwater Valley. I guess only time will tell.
There are certainly many parks in the UK it could go to if Miragica does end up closing permanently; Flamingo Land's recent acquisition has proven that our smaller parks are not averse to this type of purchase, and I'd imagine that Senzafiato could go for an even cheaper price than the Hopi Hari/MAPS looper did!

But I wouldn't be so sure that Miragica is dead just yet... I know that the park reopening may look unlikely, but far stranger things have happened in the past. We'll have to wait and see; I could potentially see a new operator buying the park.

Also, according to Flamingo Land they get 1.5 million visitors a year. They're not really that small. It's hard to know how many visitors Adventure Island really gets because they're free to enter, but Lightwater Valley has a much smaller capital to work with.