• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

My 1st Time EP Review

Dogdangling

TS Member
Its been a few months since I've been back from Europa and forgetting to post a review from my first time. I completed an obstacle course race in the Midlands on Saturday 12th August and finished fairly late around 4.30pm which meant I didn't get any sleep for my drive to EP. We boarded the Eurotunnel about 10pm and drove through the night stopping twice, once was for a 45 minute kip and the second time about 90 minutes as we were about half and hour away from Strasbourg and were making good time. We continued to drive towards Germany and the change in beauty crossing the Rhine from France to Germany was fairly noticeable.

We arrived on the Sunday at our accommodation (Pension Marianna) dumped our bags and made our way to EP by foot and bought four annual passes. The process was easy and hassle free, you buy the paper tickets at the entrance, enter the park and head to the Euro Tower to exchange your paper tickets for your Clubcard. Straight away it was fairly evident that there was very few English people in the park which for me was exactly what I expected and confirmed to me how few people in the UK know about this little gem in Europe, although we did hear quite a few Americans.

We decided to hit some big rides and rode Arthur, Bluefire Wodan, Atlantica Supersplash and took in the Ice show in Greece. Already it was clear to me that this was my favourite theme park as i could see that the overall experience and the 'Resort' feel, felt right. That evening my wife and children remained in the room and I decided to go out again and explore the Camp Resort to see what was on offer there. Although I don't think personally I would ever want to stay there, I booked a reservation for the saloon as the atmosphere and theming blew me away.

The next day we started on Voletarium which I thought was extremely well done and impressive, although I have been to Walt Disney World twice, I have never bothered with Soarin due to the 3 hour wait. Everyone came off Voletarium and appeared to enjoy it and its nice to see EP are investing in these types of rides. We continued with our day and have ridden more rides including Euromir, Eurosat, Wodan, to name a few but also enjoyed some of the other rides that are well hidden around the park. We were literally walking into areas and finding rides in streets where the warehouses were so well hidden, a first timer could certainly miss them. I also noticed that a lot of rides had an adult and toddler version (bumper cars) which helps with the queues. That evening we returned to the park after our meal at the Silver lake saloon and saw two shows which were outstanding and rode a ride in the Italy area. We also rode the toboggan & Matterhorn Blitz Crowd levels were heavy and the queues were large which pushed the park closing till 9.30pm.

Over the next two days we have enjoyed more rides, Poisenden, Pegasus, The Mine Train, Family Fahrt and numerous other rides and shows which are far too many to list. Again my feelings towards the park were that this is a proper resort park and the addition of a waterpark is exactly the right investment for EP which will make me book an extra day with the Mack's.

Why does this park beat Disney for me? Sure Disney has the IP's, characters and parades which simply can't be beaten but EP feels like you are actually on holiday, taking your time and having the opportunity to explore the little streets and cafe's it has to offer, Disney on the other hand controls you into rushing around for that next fast pass and that Disney detail although specular is sadly missed in the rush. EP doesn't do this, they have a few fast passes for Voletarium, the rest of the day is your own and turning left or right is totally my choice and not that of a computer programme that determines what fast passes I can have six months prior to my holiday. Does EP beat Phantasialand for theming? not quite, but the overall experience and the resort feel won it for me and I can see why so many hold this theme park in high regard.

Word is getting out to those in the UK about EP, I for one have told plenty of friends about my experience and after they ask me were it is, they all seem genuinely interested about going. I could write pages about the various rides I went on but this post would go on forever.

Thanks to all the tips I got off people on the forum. Our family had an amazing time, we have already used our free days at Phantasialand and The Efteling and I look forward to visiting EP around May 2018.

Thanks
Phil

Great to see that you had a good time! I think you've pretty much summed up how I feel about the place. As much as the Camp Resort isn't as desirable as, say, Bell Rock, I enjoyed my stay there in May, and would consider using the Camp Resort again, although perhaps making use of a lodge or chuck wagon instead of camping in our own tents.

Even though the weather was delightful when we visited, there was always that Mir element of stress that it *could* rain and make the field and tents flooded, which would therefore make the entire camping experience unpleasant. At least with the permanent accommodation the Camp Resort has to offer, it is on solid land! I felt the atmosphere around there was amazing, especially at night with people sitting around the fires, and the lake itself, and for the price they charge I think it's a very good deal. :)

There's everything wrong with the camp resort. After spending up to (and on special occasions, over) 12 hours on park, sleeping in a shed with a bunch of strangers was definately NOT what I needed. Especially waking up with a hangover to find the nearest toilet was a five minute hike away.

We recently stayed at the Pension Marianna on our first visit to EP in December. It gets a kicking on Trip Advisor, but our stay was perfectly fine.

Last edited:
I wae talking about the atmosphere/ theming etc... just wouldn't want to stay there as im not a camping person and the wagons doesn't appeal to me.