• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Negativity

Emily

TS Member
I'll probably get in trouble for asking this, but why is there so much negativity on this forum? The majority of people claim to love Alton Towers, but then there are tons of comments from people complaining about one thing or another. Some of the complaints I can understand and agree with, but I find that even the positive posts are counteracted with snide little comments.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the forum and it's great for random bits of information that I then share with my Mum and brother, but I just can't understand why people who claim to love the park seem to hate so many things about it!

Nothing is ever perfect, and the same occurs for AT, and there are definitely problems with it.

Fans are more likely to see problems in the park, as they know more about it and visit it more regularly. For example, would a casual fan notice the lack of general upkeep in the park- for example Nemesis' station or lots of dirty track. No, they wouldn't- as they just go there for an occasional day-out, and are mainly focussing on the riding experiences. However, enthusiasts such as ourselves, firstly will visit more often (which allows for comparison from previous visits) and are more likely to notice things about the park, due to added attention to small details.

It's like an old married couple. They clearly love each other, but they would argue all the time. The relationship between enthusiasts and the park is the same.

And we definitely don't hate the park at all! We just want it to be even better than it already is, as in the past, the park has appeared cleaner and more "magical" than it is now with the Merlin ownership. As we can only compare with the best of the park, back in the old days, we have to want what there was there. This is mainly due to the fact that the park was visited by a lot of the members here in the Tussauds days, and they'll remember the first visit being "magical" etc. However, when this wears off due to multiple visits, they'll be able to spot mistakes.

Well, the post was a little bit tangenty, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Because with the absurd Fastrack situation, the crappy throughputs and the spiralling prices, operationally speaking, the park is the worst I've ever seen it right now.

Emily said:
I'll probably get in trouble for asking this, but why is there so much negativity on this forum?

Because, long story short, the park we all love is owned by a profit crazy company that has, on many occasions, valued a slight increases in turnover over customer satisfaction (Fastracks, upselling)etc., a company that leaves old rides to look a right bad state (Especailly Blivy), a company that's recently being making more cuts than a hairdresser, need I say more?

:)

It might seem like we all hate the place, but in reality we are just discussing how we want Towers to improve and grow. It is frustrating to see somewhere which we all love go to pot in places and be milked for all it is worth by a ruthless parent company. When they do something good, we praise in general but we also need to vent our frustrations at a park that could offer so much more!

I'm also hearing and feeling the negativity towards the Towers. I think it was a fair point to bring up Emily.

I think there are many reasons why it has come to this in 2012.

Firstly, along with many of the large corporate companies these days, I feel that the trend has gone away from making a good profit and providing an excellent customer experience, to making a maximum profit and only providing an acceptable (or barely acceptable) level of customer service. This is not confined only to Merlin, I feel that Capitalism in general has gone a bit wild over the last few years (charging people more - see energy companies), when due to the financial crisis, you'd think that the sensible thing to do would be to keep people onside with reasonable prices (I appreciate the changes in purchasing gas etc). This would not be good enough for the shareholders and owners though, this is the problem. They will expect maximum profit at any cost. Do you think they care if you appreciate the fireworks as much this year as you did in 2010? You've already paid your money.

Secondly, I think some people get a bit carried away with the 'magic' thing of the 90's. There is no magic (sorry). What there was though was an excellent set of rides throughout the whole place with a more permanent team of staff who you would see year on year. Believe it or not, they would even let you stay on a ride without walking around the queue again if the next train wasn't full (bonkers, I know). The most was made of every ride in the place. I can remember queuing for Nemesis in 94 right around the back where it's now been blocked off for years and getting some great views.

To be fair though, I think the park has had one major problem. Without this problem, I don't think anyone would be complaining about the place today because things would be different. Because of where they're situated they've got stringent planning problems especially related to the height of the rides. I've got no doubt that if the Towers had no planning restrictions that the likes of Stealth and even better world class rides would be at the Towers already.

I think more could be done for the place though, definitely.

I think most of the complaining is based on "wanting the best for the one you love"

and Barry IMHO the planning restrictions makes for some interesting rides, like Nemesis and Oblivion

I hear what you're saying there Delta and they've been 2 great rides for the place which I've really enjoyed over the years.

You can't tell me you'd rather be restricted in the height or noise of a possible new ride though? I think most people would rather have had Stealth at the Towers than Rita? That's true surely?

Put simply, the negativity comes from those of us that have watched the park go from being a wonderful day of fun and escapism, to a soul crushing rip off that's falling to pieces.

DiogoJ42 said:
Put simply, the negativity comes from those of us that have watched the park go from being a wonderful day of fun and escapism, to a soul crushing rip off that's falling to pieces.

I have to agree with the right honourable pirate.

I disagree with some about the magic also ;) - there have been times the park has got it right, I have tried to highlight some of these. The thing is, Alton Towers was here long before Merlin, and in my opinion they're the present custodians of a really rather unique and magical place. The challenge to create imaginative world class rides, the beautiful setting, and the loyal fan base - that on the whole, regardless of issues turn up year in year out and spend money in the thousands.

Yes they bought the parks out, and we all want them to be successful and turn a profit of course! What many of us object to however, is the many points raised above.

If we didn't care about the place doing well, we'd all just start following another park.

I'm afraid this year, the negativity is deserved, and much of what is written is purely frustration. I also believe, if some of the individuals were more closely listened to by the park, they could actually make some relatively easy improvements that would lead to a higher satisfaction.

It isn't just these boards, they only reflect a presently wider view, that has reached the General Public. Trip advisor and Facebook are getting panned with complaints.

I think it's also fair to say, that many of us understand that much of this is out of Alton Tower's managements hands unfortunately, the gripes with the GP may be the experience at the Park - but a great many on here see the problem originating from higher up the chain.

In my own complaint about the park, I separated the corporate issues, to that of some of the wonderful staff etc, that still go out of their way to bring you a good day. When the public aren't happy, they will bear the brunt of it too - and that's not really fair either.

Good post though Emily, well put across. Not afraid to address a more potentially contentious topic, I like it! ;D

This is just my opinion of course, but it's a pleasure to share it in a considered thread such as this.

BarryZola said:
I hear what you're saying there Delta and they've been 2 great rides for the place which I've really enjoyed over the years.

You can't tell me you'd rather be restricted in the height or noise of a possible new ride though? I think most people would rather have had Stealth at the Towers than Rita? That's true surely?

As a Southerner, I'd rather have Nemesis and Oblivion down the road from me, rather then Inferno and Saw.

I’d also like to add that you can love a place without being a blinded fan boy/girl. I love Alton Towers and I want them to do well. I actually even have a lot of respect for Merlin but I think the way they operate their business leaves a lot to be desired.

Plus I think it’s worth noting the negativity isn’t new this year. There have been complaints of a negative mode of these forums since 2011. But it hasn’t gone away because whenever everything’s going well another silly decision is made and we have to point it out.

We get annoyed by bad things because we love the place.

fans, fanboys who love the place no matter what they do and view everything with rose tinted spectacles,

but we are fans who love the place and the bad things we really hate and aggressively criticise at a hope to make things better, we really care about the place, we want it to be better.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Ah yeah, fanboys (and girls) just want to point out flaws in Merlin's plans, and if there was a drinking game for all the errors Merlin has made...the less said about that the better.

Oddly enough, the only topic I've seen on here that doesn't seem to have a bad word about it is the Europa Park topic! :p

Thanks for the replies. The negative comments seem to outweigh the positive, but I guess it's like everything: if you get good service in a shop for example, you probably won't bother writing to the store - but if you get bad service, you make a big deal out of it.

Personally, I think Alton Towers is brilliant. It's not perfect, but I always have an enjoyable time when I go so I can't think of much to criticise. In fact the only thing I didn't like this time was the toilet roll in the hotel - why does it have to be so cheap and nasty? Might take my own next time! :p

Emily said:
In fact the only thing I didn't like this time was the toilet roll in the hotel - why does it have to be so cheap and nasty? Might take my own next time! :p

There, doesn't that feel better? ;D

Seriously though, I've browsed the forums as a lurker for years before I joined TT, (but hardly posted) and here (where I am in a posting fury!) - and I have to say, I can not remember it being this negative across the board.

I've gone round teaching positivity for goodness sakes lol, yet even I find it hard to praise much about the direction the park is going in right now. In fact, rather the opposite.

That being said, I love the preparation for SW7, and you will only find me praising the secrecy, effort, and ideas that have arisen so far! :)

I hope that continues and we end up with a great ride and a better season.

Again though as many have said, our opinions are not unique, and are shared by the GP this year also. For the good of the park, and indeed it's future, things need to change, and if we contribute even a tiny amount as enthusiasts (and you would be surprised possibly, by just what some guys on here have managed to help change), then we're on the right track.

:)