• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's highly unlikely that Sub Terra will be used specifically as a pre-show for Nemmy. However I wouldn't be surprised if it reopens as it's own attraction again and the story is updated to match Nemmy's new story.

I don't think geekery in lore is in any way a modern "these days" thing. I'm 40 and it's always been there. The original Nemesis did this through a comic which was a vehicle for further depth for a lot of franchises at the time. If you were a fan of your favourite movie, video game or roller coaster and wanted more, you could buy a comic and indulge in far more detail. But main events themselves remained top level and vague to appear to mass markets.

I was (and still am even though I should really grow up) a massive Sonic the Hedgehog fan in the 90's. The games remained simple, a fast anthropomorphic blue hedgehog Vs a rotund mad scientist who traps animals. It was an excuse to make excellent games. There were 3 comic series (UK, US and Japan) that all told very detailed stories and all 3 followed a wildly different cannon. None of them recognised as an official cannon or bled into the games (although Easter eggs to them exist in them).

Maybe there's some truth in Nemesis needing some theming updates for a modern audience but it doesn't need a new or expanded theme in itself. The reason it was given it's original theme and vague story was because it's a rollercoaster first and foremost and doesn't need to have any deeper meaning. It was an excuse to build an awesome looking B&M invert in a pit and it delivered. It delivered it in a world class way as well.

I also reject the idea that it was originally lacking in any way theme wise. If you've only ever ridden it without the waterfalls, with a manky track, with holes in the station and covered in heavy foliage and weeds then you can't use that as a basis as that's not how it was designed. From us who set foot in that pit in 1994, queued around the top of it, saw the kitchen camp before we rode, dived in and out of those tunnels for the first time, got thrust over a corkscrew past a crashed bus and got splashed with rivers of blood thundering down round us from every direction you would know the feeling. It genuinely was a world class experience and would still be one of the best thematic experiences of all the coasters in the park today. I would personally say the best as I think the landscape of the pit outshines the heavier physical theming of Wickerman for me but that's just an opinion.

The reason John described the story as "nonsense" is because that's what it was supposed to be. It was never supposed to be too deep. If he's saying that the theme will "remain the same" but with enhancements to the theming then that does give me some confidence that it will retain it's loose monster, horror, cult worship site, post apocalyptic theme and all the secret organisation military scfi bullshit was used for event entertainment and to branch off into the opening of NST.

If they keep the waterfalls off, paint it boring standard Towers black like most of the other coasters in the park and decorate it with tanks and shipping containers and install TV screens with sinister guys with mostaches bleating a nonsense "story" then that is a fundamental change of the theme and will ruin a large part of what makes Nemesis so great to me.

I concede that I might feel differently about Nemesis’ theme and conveyance of story had I done it in 1994, when it was brand new, shiny and all elements of it were intact.

Reading some of your posts, I don’t think we’re as far apart in view as I thought. I too would not advocate the addition of something like a pre-show to Nemesis; it works on some rides, but I don’t think it would work on Nemesis. And if you go overboard with putting people in front of umpteen pre-show videos and physically lecturing every minute detail of a narrative to them on something like a roller coaster, it becomes onerous and just feels unnecessary in most cases.

All I’m saying is that it might be nice to see some extra little details strewn around the area and queue and some more small hints towards what the ride’s story actually is without being explicit. This would help to build atmosphere and make the theme a little bit clearer and more cohesive without being on-the-nose about it, if you get my drift.

You can build a strong theme through theming, landscaping and such without necessarily bunging people in front of a pre-show video, and many worldwide rides do this successfully. I would personally say that the aforementioned example of Big Thunder Mountain does this successfully, and things like Phantasialand’s rides appear to do this very successfully. That’s what I’m getting at; I’m not asking for them to physically tell a story to guests via a pre-show room, I simply feel that some new details and atmosphere building tools would throw more of a bone to guests who enjoy an in-depth narrative while not ruining things for those who don’t. I’m not sure if this is simply the impact of the ride aging, but I feel that if viewing it purely as a themed attraction, Nemesis could be stronger at this at present.

Besides, this stuff would be more of a “nice to have” than a true necessity in my view. I’m only discussing it because I feel like the retrack would offer a nice opportunity for them to enhance the theme as well. And based on John’s comments, it sounds as though we may be getting some valued theming enhancements…

Do you see where I’m coming from?

Last edited:
Correction, if the ride queue entrance was moved to the sub terra shed, it would add about seventy metres to the queueline, or about a twentieth of a mile.
Could well happen.

Thanks for calculating that lol

The more and more I think about it the more this makes sense.

As @Matt.GC has said the ride when it was first built was fantastic. The theme worked.

For me if they bring back the bus, remove the grime and weeds, bring back the red flowing waterfalls, some better sound quality around the ride that would do me. Oh and restore the station and make it vandal proof somehow

Any additional theming needs to be minimal in my eyes.

As @Matt.GC has said the ride when it was first built was fantastic. The theme worked.

For me if they bring back the bus, remove the grime and weeds, bring back the red flowing waterfalls, some better sound quality around the ride that would do me. Oh and restore the station and make it vandal proof somehow

Definitely. Don't want random theming elements just slapped everywhere in the area. Though it'd be nice if they moved the Armored Car in the forest queue of Nemesis and give it a rusted and battered look.

I agree that it's original theme still works stupendously! As I mentioned earlier, when I rode it for the first time at my first visit at the park in 2017, I was blown away from the theme and ride, it absolutely terrified me!

Took a whole ten seconds on google maps...thumb used as scale measure.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.