• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It gives them the perfect opportunity to use it as theming propping up the station, rather than the themed track previously.

It gives them the perfect opportunity to use it as theming propping up the station, rather than the themed track previously.

You're probably joking, but as others have said, it would be to heavy.

As someone said in the comments, it's more of a dismantling than a demolition as it will be rebuilt with new track.

You're probably joking, but as others have said, it would be to heavy.

As someone said in the comments, it's more of a dismantling than a demolition as it will be rebuilt with new track.

Let's not get into this, (then gets into it) but the ride is being destroyed in its current form, melted down etc. So, using the word demolition is correct, so is dismantling, but dismantling can imply it will be used elsewhere, it will not be. So yeah, it's being demolished, as it will be melted down and used in a new life. Demolishing something does not just mean you remove it from a site carelessly, it can mean other things too.

But I would argue that it is a majority but partial demolition, as the lift, break and station track are staying. The fact the track is sitting on the tarmac in the carpark is a big no no for careful handling of track. Very easy way to do damage. So, in essence they are carelessly removing it, in line with a demolition. I mean you do not think they are going to use steel cutters and what not to remove the track? In this case it is far easier to just remove the bolts away, it would make the job harder cutting it all up from it's location.

In other news, you can really see how bad the state of the track is from a presentation perspective at least, when removed from the pit. Roll on the brand-new B&M track!

I doubt it as they are rebuilding so a memorial isn’t needed.

I agree but, seeing as Alton has one of the strongest coaster line ups in Europe, it would be nice to sort of show this off, by adding more track to the entrance.

Last edited:
Let's not get into this, (then gets into it) but the ride is being destroyed in its current form, melted down etc. So, using the word demolition is correct, so is dismantling, but dismantling can imply it will be used elsewhere, it will not be. So yeah, it's being demolished, as it will be melted down and used in a new life. Demolishing something does not just mean you remove it from a site carelessly, it can mean other things too.

But I would argue that it is a majority but partial demolition, as the lift, break and station track are staying. The fact the track is sitting on the tarmac in the carpark is a big no no for careful handling of track. Very easy way to do damage. So, in essence they are carelessly removing it, in line with a demolition. I mean you do not think they are going to use steel cutters and what not to remove the track? In this case it is far easier to just remove the bolts away, it would make the job harder cutting it all up from it's location.

In other news, you can really see how bad the state of the track is from a presentation perspective at least, when removed from the pit. Roll on the brand-new B&M track!

I agree but, seeing as Alton has one of the strongest coaster line ups in Europe, it would be nice to sort of show this off, by adding more track to the entrance.
IOA cut Duelling Dragons/Dragon Challenge up rather than remove it by undoing the bolts. And I agree it was a strange thing to do, as it would certainly take longer to do.
But taking care to remove each piece and storing them in the car park, does mean they have no more operational purpose, but they do sill have value in terms of environmental usage.
What I find strange is that one pice had a section of running rail removed. It was cleanly cut off, too. Something, with some parts at least, is being done.

Still waiting to hear the news of sections of rail being cut to be put on sale...

Merlin know there is good money to be made there and would be foolishly not to do this.

IOA cut Duelling Dragons/Dragon Challenge up rather than remove it by undoing the bolts. And I agree it was a strange thing to do, as it would certainly take longer to do.
But taking care to remove each piece and storing them in the car park, does mean they have no more operational purpose, but they do sill have value in terms of environmental usage.
What I find strange is that one pice had a section of running rail removed. It was cleanly cut off, too. Something, with some parts at least, is being done.

it would make the job harder cutting it all up from it's location.

Dragon Challenge was not in a series of pits with limited access. Getting the cutters with the associated heavy and bulky equipment required to power said cutters all around the Nemesis site, would be quite challenge, given the location and topography of the area around Nemesis. In the specific case for Nemesis, unbolting and lifting out that way is far easier I would have thought. From just a few vantage points, with a large crane and decent boom, most of the track can be removed.

In the right scenario it would be quicker, but certainly not in the case for Nemesis, due to the area I would have thought. That said, they could also be salvaging track for a statue piece, and they might cut some up, But I would have thought that won't be the case for the reasons mentioned above. I am sure it will all be unbolted.

You've also got to remember that 25% of the track is still sticking around (station, lift hill, brake run), access ladders etc are staying and 76 of the column bases are being left alone with 41 being strengthened. You don't want a massive scrap shear going in as it did with Dragon Challenge and twisting metal and potentially causing damage to the foundations, area and remaining track/columns.

Also don't forget that the area is largely block paved, meaning it'd have to be torn up for heavy plant to access too. Taking it away bit by bit and dealing with it elsewhere is a much more sensible option vs tearing it down and pulling it out bit by bit from the pit. Especially when the crane operator is very well versed in accessing the ride to carry out repairs over the years anyway.

Dragon Challenge was not in a series of pits with limited access. Getting the cutters with the associated heavy and bulky equipment required to power said cutters all around the Nemesis site, would be quite challenge, given the location and topography of the area around Nemesis. In the specific case for Nemesis, unbolting and lifting out that way is far easier I would have thought. From just a few vantage points, with a large crane and decent boom, most of the track can be removed.

In the right scenario it would be quicker, but certainly not in the case for Nemesis, due to the area I would have thought. That said, they could also be salvaging track for a statue piece, and they might cut some up, But I would have thought that won't be the case for the reasons mentioned above. I am sure it will all be unbolted.
Dragon challenge was cut up with gas axes i believe?. . .the baggin's for a gas axe are identical to compressed air lines. .

Which they must be using air powered impact wrenches to dismantle nemesis, there is no way they are undoing this by hand or they might just about get it unbolted for the 2024 season.

Alternatively they could be lopping the bolt heads of with a gas axe and just knocking out the stud.

Either way they can run air/gas lines to a cherry picker/crane cage easily.

Even if they cut it up with hydraulic equipment the engines/motors and pumps don't have to be in the immediate vicinity. . .but hydro lines are significantly heavier than air/gas lines.

Last edited:
Footage from TPWW of Nemesis track being removed.

Quite startling to see how massive B&M track is up close. Interesting that I didn't realise as what Shawn points out the the original 'rust' marks on the original paint job are not supposed to be rust but blood which makes sense I suppose given the original Nemesis lore.

fca766b41feacba92691335772554913.dng

Poor thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I imagine they’ll repaint the remaining track before it reopens? Otherwise it will stick out like a sore thumb…
That's my concern too. . .

Factory fresh track vs 28 year old track, they won't just be able to throw a coat over the brake run and lift hill and expect it to look the same.

Unless they can media blast them in situe and start a fresh.

Same with all the air equipment/tanks for the brakes, surely its all coming off for refurbishment.
🤞

That's my concern too. . .

Factory fresh track vs 28 year old track, they won't just be able to throw a coat over the brake run and lift hill and expect it to look the same.

Unless they can media blast them in situe and start a fresh.

Same with all the air equipment/tanks for the brakes, surely its all coming off for refurbishment.
🤞
That's why I thought they may have taken the track off the bits that are staying (leaving the supports) So they can blast and repaint it?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.