• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I agree that FV needs something new and a major ride would be fantastic. However I think Galactica is fine. It's not my favourite coaster on park by far but it's still good fun. Much better without that hideous VR as well.

Would love to see something done with N-ST building and also a new Secret Weapon added to the Air Car Park eventually wouldn't go a miss. This will give Nemmy a new lease of life for sure.

I agree, always go on Galactica, its a solid coaster IMHO.
What it is not, is a enough to pull a crowd over there if it was the only thing left in FV.
At its age, it is a supporting attraction now.

Would love to see something done with N-ST building and also a new Secret Weapon added to the Air Car Park eventually wouldn't go a miss. This will give Nemmy a new lease of life for sure.

The park is years away from needing to build a new secret weapon coaster. Replacements for Ripsaw, Twirling Toadstall, Submission, Boneshaker and Sub-Terra are all needed first.

If 1200 people entered the queue for both rides per hour (equally popular) for 3 hours, how many people would be in the queue for each ride be after those three hours.

Hour 1 -

0 people in queue
1200 people enter nemesis queue
1200 people ride nemesis
Queue - 0 people

0 people in Rita queue
1200 people enter Rita queue
900 people ride Rita
300 people in queue

Hour 2 -

0 people in queue
1200 people ride nemesis
Queue - 0 people

300 people in Rita queue
900 people ride Rita
600 people in queue

Hour 3 -

0 people in queue
1200 people ride nemesis
Queue - 0 people

600 people in Rita queue
900 people ride Rita
900 people in queue

After 3 hours, despite the rides being equally popular (in terms of number of riders) Rita has a 900 person queue (1 hour) and Nemesis has a 0 people queue (0 hour).
Very true. I wonder what the capacity per hour for each ride is these days

The park is years away from needing to build a new secret weapon coaster. Replacements for Ripsaw, Twirling Toadstall, Submission, Boneshaker and Sub-Terra are all needed first.

They won't be building new flats any time soon. They don't bring a big enough return on investment and get the public excited enough for Merlin.

Coasters, family rides and dark rides is what we'll get.

They won't be building new flats any time soon. They don't bring a big enough return on investment and get the public excited enough for Merlin.

Coasters, family rides and dark rides is what we'll get.

They've built two new flats and refurbished several more recently.

Peter Rabbit hoppers (new CBeebies)
Go Jetters vroomsters (new Cbeebies)
Elmers Flying Jumbos (refurb Chessington)

I think they know they make good additions as filler rides, but they are only doing them in kiddie areas. Knowing when to add as filler rides for adults is what they are missing.
Also the right ride can be marketed, Submission was way better on the advert than it was in real life! Add rides in pairs where one is more family and one is thrilling that can at least be advertised.

The Peter Rabbit drop towers were 2nd hand from a sea life centre somewhere (I forget which one).
Of the 3, only Go Jetters was new.

Peter Rabbit came from Sea LIfe Adventure Park Oberhausen. The former CentrO Park.

Many of the "new" attractions opening up at UK Merlin parks are not attractions that were custom made for the park. This is a sign of the time in the current financial climate of Merlin's theme park estate.

Anyway - that veered off topic.

Nemmy, pl0x.

How is the estate of similar B&M suspended coasters holding up?
I don't get the impression the estate is reaching end of life, the manufacturer is still trading and Nemesis remains a signature ride of the park. I can't see the ride going anytime soon.

If it starts seeing a lot of downtime, or the track starts feeling rough and needing retracking.... then you can imagine Merlin preferring to invest serious cash in a replacement.
My feeling is it will get to around 40 years and (assuming AT survives until then) at this point be retired.

Well the obvious comparison is Duelling Dragons / Dragons Challenge at Islands of Adventure. Both sides of the ride opened with IoA in 1999, along with Hulk. All 3 rides were at near "end of life" after 18yrs of pretty much daily operation (bar annual rehab downtime). Universal made the decision to rebuild Hulk like for like. Dragons Challenge went when Hulk reopened so it could be replaced with a Potter themed ride to fill the tills even further. (They could just have rebuilt Dragons Challenge as they did Hulk should they have wished). So it it not unreasonable to assume that 18-20yrs of full time, year round operation is the likely life expectancy of a well maintained B&M ride.

Let's make no suggestions that Nemesis is not well maintained, as it is. However, Nemesis will be 26 in a couple of months time, but obviously benefits from seasonal operation. That said, Nemesis has had issues with various base footers (C-37L a particular one) and has had partial rail replacements in a few places / cross-ties on track joints partially cut back to reduce stress, particularly on the helix.

Based on Duelling Dragons / Dragons Challenge, Nemesis has to be slowly approaching it's end of service life. There will, possibly within the next 5 years or so, come the time when Merlin / Alton Towers have to make a decision about what to do with Nemesis. Do they rebuild like for like, or go for something new? Obviously they have a very bespoke shaped hole in the ground that was made to measure for Nemesis - but this can be altered with a bit of digging / dynamite. My worry is that the Merlin / Towers team will just view Nemesis as "old-hat" and no longer a marketable proposition & put something new in it's place that will be nowhere near as good. Sure, they'll come up with some dubious "Worlds First" or record-claim of some kind, but they'll not beat Nemesis.

If Nemesis ever gets removed the hole with either be filled in or left with nothing in it. I can't see Merlin putting anything in it, I think the says of creating bespoke unique attractions like that are over, unless it can be plonked on flat ground or only needs minor ground work...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.