• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't like all this "Phalanx" nonsense. Apparently it was something to do with the comic strip that was a part of the original Nemesis marketing campaign? If so, then it's completely irrelevant to the majority of the general public.

Back when the ride opened, I can't remember any references to paramilitary forces, people in baseball caps with guns screaming at you or shipping container bases. I always associated that stuff with Sub Terra, which seemed jarringly different to the ride it shares a name with.

94 Nemesis felt like it was all about alien monsters, rivers of blood, post apocalyptic landscapes and cult worship. More apocalyptic gothic horror than Alien(s) franchise style Sci Fi.

If Nemesis reopens with clear running water and people wearing body armer brandishing guns, I'll be very disappointed.

Last edited:
people in baseball caps with guns screaming at you
I agree! I really detested the awful choice of character for the staff. It felt rather derogatory and was not becoming of a day out at “the premier U.K. theme park”.

I’d much prefer aloof, mysterious operatives whose primary focus was on keeping a secret, whilst maintaining order.

If I wanted to be shouted at and told what to do or where to go in a strict manner, I’d take part in a riot.

Does someone have a link to the video that gives the story of the monster. I’ve got it on VHS somewhere but no video player!

I’ve always thought of “the military” being the ones who pinned down the monster being a major part of the story. I’d not heard of the cult worship side of it before really.

I agree that Sub-Terra staff were terrible in welcoming you to their facility. But I think the themed uniforms for the nemesis staff work fine. They are the operatives looking after the monster.

I’ve always thought of “the military” being the ones who pinned down the monster being a major part of the story. I’d not heard of the cult worship side of it before really

There were no references to any kind of military forces on the ground when the coaster opened. You saw the rocks as you walked past the Thunder Looper that gave it more of a Stonehenge cult worship like feel like out of the adverts. You reached the pit itself and it was like a monster had suddenly burst through the earth, throwing debris out, crashing a bus and destroying the surrounding landscape.

The monster looked pinned down by "not ordinary men, not ordinary steel". Like the locals (or Alton Towers themselves after their "routine excavations" had awoken it) had overcome it and restrained it. The whole Nemesis tale and theme felt like it was based on legend and folklore to me. No comoflage, armoured vehicles or military forces anywhere.

This whole "Phalanx" Sci-fi, guys and gals with machine guns and a tank Vs a big monster stuff that seems like it's now the directon the park want to go in with it, wasn't what the original Forbidden Valley felt like.

I agree! I really detested the awful choice of character for the staff. It felt rather derogatory and was not becoming of a day out at “the premier U.K. theme park”.

I’d much prefer aloof, mysterious operatives whose primary focus was on keeping a secret, whilst maintaining order.

If I wanted to be shouted at and told what to do or where to go in a strict manner, I’d take part in a riot.
Like the bloke patrolling the boundary of the Oblivion building site, he did a stunning job.
He did it all with nothing more than a dirty look.

As I've said elsewhere, the two recent military contacts I've had (Blandford Forum Army base and an RAF base with work) have been very nice and polite whilst imposing. They were scarier for being so polite even with one of the sets being mostly not visibly armed (but I imagine was covertly armed). No shouting. No bullying. Calm, in control and lethal.

The entrance host on Nemesis yesterday said she hated it. Said it doesn't fit well at all.

I guess it looks cool though although I'm still unsure why all this emphasis on the Phalanx, personally.

Boiler suits are bloody hot. Used to use them in my last job and you'd strip down to underwear underneath and you'd still have buckets of sweat pouring off you. Themed uniforms are a great idea but one that warm might be a not great idea

Boiler suits are bloody hot. Used to use them in my last job and you'd strip down to underwear underneath and you'd still have buckets of sweat pouring off you. Themed uniforms are a great idea but one that warm might be a not great idea
Is there a chance these aren't permanent and could be just for the remainder of the season though? Just to go with the closing signs. So come 2024, they may have something different and more suited to warmer weather? As the weather will probably get colder until the end of the season, as hot as boiler suits are, they would help keeping staff warm who are mostly standing around outside.

I think this uniform will be temp just for the end of the season, and to match the branding of the Phalanx on the signs. I guess we’ll then get some better themed uniform when it re opens.

I’ve always thought it would have made sense to just add the sub Terra uniform to Nemesis when that opened
This could be a possibility, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed the Phalanx uniforms to be less militaristic as to maintain customer service expectations and not have 17 year olds screaming at guests, like Sub Terra did (although it was intended to be so on Sub Terra).

Which I guess will also bring into question if NST reopens whether it'll sport the same Phalanx uniforms as Nemesis has now. One possibility I could see is having the ride hosts wearing the current Nemesis uniform and a performer in the old NST uniform and recite a scripted spiel in the batching area, much like at the start of the mazes or Dungeons do currently as they'd be trained when/how to intimate guests a lot better than a seasonal staff member from Rides.

Just my opinion though...

Or get married 😉

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.