• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
A major cause of delays in construction works is adverse weather affecting the ability for concrete to be poured and allowed to set. Immediately that issue is pretty much gone. Other things can cause delays, but one of the biggest causes will be almost non existing due to the footers already being there.

I am not saying anyone is wrong but I am interested to know what people are basing their views that it has to be closed for a long time. Evidence is there in past Alton Towers projects alone, that suggest it wont take as long as people make out.

Even the Smiler was no more than about 2 months in total for the much more complex track and supports to be put in place. Construction stopped and started on that so it is a bit difficult to gauge, but total steel erection was just over 2 months in total. Remember, that is which much more track and many more supports too.

But air is probably a more fair comparison though as you have a similar track length and crucially, very similar track size and weight,

Last edited:
I agree. But seeing as not all footters are being replaced I am guessing that they would be done in tandem with track being replaced in sections that do not need new footers. It's not like they cannot start track replacements until the footer work is complete, as would be the case for normal construction.

I am just guessing but it seems the most logical to me. You do raise a good point though, there is the potential for unforeseen issues to arise when they start getting into it.

Some footers need replacing.
They won't be sure of the timing of the remedial works until the site is exposed.
I imagine it will take at least a month to rectify dodgy footers in the pit.
I think that is the key to this... the engineers will have a very good idea of what has to be done, but until everything is removed and exposed, it won't be known for sure the extent of the work needed. So they'll have to build in extra time to allow for this. I'd far rather have Nemesis down for 2023 season and 2 winters to allow for this, rather than them cramming it into 1 closed season then not open until "some point in the following season" due to unforeseen issues.

I hope they give it the original paint job. I know a lot of people prefer the newer style but I think the old one looked great.
You know I've had a weird feeling ever since I heard about the retrack that the new track would be dark red, like on Banshee. No idea why I thought that

There seems to be a preumption this work will start this closed season. Is this based on any information given in the planning documents? Just seems to me that if permission has only just been confirmed, and presumably Merlin wouldn't financially commit before planning was confirmed, that's not at if time for B&M to fabricate a whole new Nemesis.
Could it be more realistic looking at 2023 closed season?

There seems to be a preumption this work will start this closed season. Is this based on any information given in the planning documents? Just seems to me that if permission has only just been confirmed, and presumably Merlin wouldn't financially commit before planning was confirmed, that's not at if time for B&M to fabricate a whole new Nemesis.
Could it be more realistic looking at 2023 closed season?
Well 2024 is Nemmy's 30th birthday, so it's likely that they'll want her reopened in time for that. Would the 2023-2024 closed season give enough time?

Well 2024 is Nemmy's 30th birthday, so it's likely that they'll want her reopened in time for that. Would the 2023-2024 closed season give enough time?
I guess we'll find out. Not been running the best this season imo so I'm looking forward to a fresh and smoother nemesis. Given its age it rides really well still but I've noticed a bit more headbanging on the corkscrew and barrel roll. The final inversion has to be one of the smoothest elements ever though. You barely realise you're upside down

Well 2024 is Nemmy's 30th birthday, so it's likely that they'll want her reopened in time for that.

Yes but I keep hearing about all these birthdays for various attractions on these pages yet in reality Towers do very little to celebrate them. Nemesis had a small event and some signage for it's 21st, even the whole park only had a cake down at Towers Street for its 40th. I very much doubt a simple birthday for the ride will be a deal breaker. It'd be nice and everything but projects of this size aren't dictated by anniversaries. Consideration for its 30th birthday maybe, but if it ain't gonna happen it ain't gonna happen.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.