• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
So you are saying the original paint work would be a major visual change from the current one? I would disagree.

Here is the original colour scheme
HKwN-8sA.jpeg

There are certainly noticable differences between that and the current colour scheme.

Across the forum I keep seeing it stated as fact that the retrack will cause Nemesis to be closed for a season. Has that been confirmed anywhere in planning documents, or even just by those reliably in the know?

Even with some of the supports needing attention, it's still work that I'm sure could be completed over a closed season if they wanted it to be.

Across the forum I keep seeing it stated as fact that the retrack will cause Nemesis to be closed for a season. Has that been confirmed anywhere in planning documents, or even just by those reliably in the know?

Even with some of the supports needing attention, it's still work that I'm sure could be completed over a closed season if they wanted it to be.

To do it properly they will need the whole season

I guess it also depends on how much extra work they are doing on top of the re-track. I would like to hope they are going to get the waterfalls all working again (I'd be very disappointed if they didn't) but it has been so long since they did work that it probably isn't a simple job.

Hulk at IOA closed in September 2015 for its re-track and re-opened in August 2016, so that also gives you an indication of timescales. I think it would be nigh on impossible to replace all track and supports on Nemesis over a closed season with the weather we often get in the UK in the winter. Also worth baring in mind that is not exactly the easiest site to deal with when it comes to getting in cranes to access various parts of the layout.

I think it bears repeating through that Hulk's rebuild was a much more expansive job than Merlin are planning for Nemesis in many ways. And even then the track had been replaced by the start of April, so the rebuild took around 7 months, followed by 4 months for installation of the all-new effects and testing.

It would therefore seem strange if the Nemesis work took anything like as long as Hulk because a) not all the track is being replaced, and in particular the parts remaining in situ are the parts that have most of the mechanics, and b) from the application it doesn't sound like they will be adding anything significantly different to the ride, so there are fewer unknowns to be tested once the ride is rebuilt. And the other factor to take into account is that there is minimal foundation work planned, which is likely to allow things to move much quicker.

All in all, it would seem quite likely that if Nemesis was to close at the end of the season, the work could be completed in time for a 2023 summer season opening in late May. It really doesn't seem like it would be financially sensible to have the ride closed for any longer than it needs to be, considering that they are likely to receive a nice attendance bump whenever it comes back, so it doesn't need to wait for the start of a season or alike to maximise the effect of its re-opening.

It would therefore seem strange if the Nemesis work took anything like as long as Hulk because a) not all the track is being replaced, and in particular the parts remaining in situ are the parts that have most of the mechanics ...
I guess it depends on the scale of the overhaul. I would like to think they would overhaul the control system and replace (or at least overhaul) all of the electrical, pneumatic and mechanical components while they're at it, otherwise you're not making the most of the opportunity to reduce future downtime. That could be done in parallel with the track and support renewals though.

It might be done before the whole season is over, but from an advertising point of view I cant see them opening it back up part way through and missing out on a good marketing campaign.

EDIT: spelling mistake

Last edited:
Another factor to consider is how much work they can realistically do during the season whilst the park is open. Both the monorail and Galactica go over Nemesis which could pose potential problems. It could be a case of do a lot of work this closed season, then relatively minor work during the 2023 season before a lot of work again over the next closed season.

Just depends what the best way of managing the whole project is. Also re-opening for the 30th anniversary in 2024 does make sense.

Another factor to consider is how much work they can realistically do during the season whilst the park is open. Both the monorail and Galactica go over Nemesis which could pose potential problems. It could be a case of do a lot of work this closed season, then relatively minor work during the 2023 season before a lot of work again over the next closed season.

Just depends what the best way of managing the whole project is. Also re-opening for the 30th anniversary in 2024 does make sense.
Also need to consider that they won't know for sure what state the footers are in until they excavate them. Or other areas of the ride for that matter. So there will probably be some time built into the overall project to allow for the unknowns too.

It’s been assumed that Nemesis will be closed for the whole season but no one really knows apart from those involved. I’m quietly hopeful it won’t be shut for the entire season as it’s probably my favourite ride at towers and there will be a huge hole in the line up without it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was and it reopened for its 30th birthday, with maybe a soft opening around scarefest (wishful thinking). Guess it depends on a lot of factors.

Also need to consider that they won't know for sure what state the footers are in until they excavate them. Or other areas of the ride for that matter. So there will probably be some time built into the overall project to allow for the unknowns too.

This is exactly why I am optimistic about the waterfalls. If they are digging up footers and what not, it shouldn't be to much extra work to expose the pipes to carry out repair work.

The monorail running directly over is a bit of an issue, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a phased approach and the ride closed for the entire of 2023, reopening in 2024.

Maybe they could remove the track required over the 2022/23 closed season. Throughout 2023 tidy up the pit and existing theming, sort the footers out and look at effects such as the waterfalls. Closed season 2023/24 install the new track, paint it and test the ride. Make a huge fuss out of a reopening in March/May 2024.

It's going to be an absolute pain to install some of the new pieces. Removing the old? Easy, you can cut it up. Trying to install the new final corkscrew? Rather them than me.

I'd imagine nothing can happen beneath either Monorail or Galactica without closing them. The thing with the redesigned footers would be if they go in smoothly or need a tweak in design upon installation etc. With the waterfalls, the one that runs next to the queue and drops into the pit washes over one of the knackered footers which might explain why they're off.

I'm still not seeing anything that would stop the retrack happening within a reasonable timeframe - all the issues people seem to be worried about are project management concerns, so should be relatively easy to plan around. And given that it's a project they've already done once, they're probably already ahead of the curve in their understanding of solutions to potential challenges that might arise.

The only reason I could see it taking twice as long as needed is if Merlin wanted it to take twice as long as is needed - they could certainly take a leaf out of Disney's book if they wanted and 'do a Tron' if they wanted. However, I suspect it makes financial sense to get the project completed as quickly as possible - the longer the project drags on the more expensive it will be. Plus the whole reason the retrack is happening is because Merlin recognise the value of the ride being operational, so they're not going to leave it closed longer than needed.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.