• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If Alton Towers came out and said it's closing because it needs retracking our esteemed, world leading, media would just write up a bunch of stories saying how the ride is still in operation whilst the park knows it needs serious maintenance.

They couldn't win however they announced this. This way at least lets them come up with a story to accompany the works and eventual reopening, which they seem to be taking with both hands.

Last edited:
Yep media attention hopefully gives them an attendance bump the next 7 weeks. Possibly sell some special merchandise in the closing weeks as well.

Seen as all the media are now posting this, and also mentioning how fans are gutted about it closing, etc. I think it’s just what towers want. Probably get a load of extra guests in the park to ride it by the end of the season. Then you can get all the papers on board again next year/2024 when it reopens!

Merlin know how to play these things for sure.

I wonder if they will keep Nemesis open for those doing the Run Alton Towers event on the 13th Nov?

They should sell the seats on the last public train, let people bid on each seat, and highest bid gets that spot for the last ride. All proceeds could go to the Merlin Charity or something. Would be really interesting to see the price people are willing to pay for the different seats :)

I very much doubt it will be open for the Run Alton Towers event, particularly as it’s advertised closing date is November 6. I know that is the date the park closes, but I just don’t think it’ll be open for that event. I’m just guessing of course.

Loving that announcement. The first step in a long term marketing plan for the eventual resurrection.

If they're forking out for retracking they will want maximum possible return on investment.

Let's not forget Vick Narney himself was key to the 1994 advertising campaign. Maybe he's had some input here.

It won't be as easy to market this time around though given that we think it's hardly going to be any different. So maybe they have decided to make more of a deal of it closing that they usually would.

I wonder if they will keep Nemesis open for those doing the Run Alton Towers event on the 13th Nov?

They should sell the seats on the last public train, let people bid on each seat, and highest bid gets that spot for the last ride. All proceeds could go to the Merlin Charity or something. Would be really interesting to see the price people are willing to pay for the different seats :)
Unfortunately It'll be closing before then I'm afraid, on the 6th.

It won't be as easy to market this time around though given that we think it's hardly going to be any different. So maybe they have decided to make more of a deal of it closing that they usually would.
Tbf Galatica was advertised like a brand new attraction.

I understand adding VR is more substantial to a ride experience than a re-tracking, but we all know Merlin won't spend money on something that doesn't immediately benefit them financially.

They couldn't win however they announced this.
I think people are way overthinking this. All the major parks in the world just announce future plans so that everyone knows at the same time and builds excitement in a positive way.

There's no ambiguity and no need the kind of tabloidy reverse psychology strategies Merlin hold so close to their heart.

This project is a great step forward, but I believe essential maintenance projects like this shouldnt hinge on how they can PR spin it as has been in the past. The marketable reason for this project should be that Nemesis is already as great ride as you can get in that space and adds great value to the park's appeal.

It's doing the opposite of closing, it's being retracked so that it will avoid closing. In my mind that's reason to be happy and credit Merlin for maintaining a classic ride, so not sure why theyd go for the negative route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that it has been mentioned, but the actual press release to accompany the social media campaign has confirmed that the ride will be re-opening in 2024 for its 30th anniversary. The wording does stop shy of saying it will be open 'in time' for its 30th... but you've got to assume the aim is the start of 2024.

Very fond memories of John Wardley appearing at the Nemesis 21 event, reading a sample of the ride's backstory to an eager room of goons hanging on his every word, and then suddenly cracking up at just how daft it is.
I got a VHS copy of the story at Nemesis X event in 2004 (still have it somewhere!) and recall a similar tale being regaled, along with some great insights into the SWs that never were. Interestingly the park have released some of the original story in the press release today:

"Nemesis comes from another dimension, a dimension beyond our imagination! Deep beneath the ground Alton Towers resort lived a strange being...

After being disturbed by workmen during routine maintenance, the monster that lay dormant was unleashed, wreaking havoc on the surrounding area. The Phalanx (an elite organisation of experts recruited from government and scientific institutions) immediately launched their extreme security division to pin down the creature and disable it

It took 250 tonnes of steel, bent and twisted around the monster, and 200 men to hold it down.

We converted the steel that imprisons the creature into the tangled rollercoaster you see here today.

When you ride Nemesis remember its history.
This is the legend.
But don't try to understand it - don't try to come to terms with it.
Don't even try to think about it.

Just sit back: it's fright time"

I'm not sure that it has been mentioned, but the actual press release to accompany the social media campaign has confirmed that the ride will be re-opening in 2024 for its 30th anniversary. The wording does stop shy of saying it will be open 'in time' for its 30th... but you've got to assume the aim is the start of 2024.

"Fans urged to claim their last heart-pumping ride before November 6th and whilst the beast remains 'under control'. The exhilarating ride will then temporarily cease operation to undergo and exciting revamp before returning to entertain thrillseekers in 2024"

On a side note, I had a thought today... I wonder if the dead load of sand-filled track will make a difference to the footers as they were originally built?

Very curious as to what entry prices will be next year due to losing Nemmy and given the unavailability of a number of flats this season

Very curious as to what entry prices will be next year due to losing Nemmy and given the unavailability of a number of flats this season
Curious. My intrigue is piqued at this question.

Spend a moment with me here. Search deep within yourself, and consult the farthest realms of your heart.

Now consider. With all that you feel.

Will hell freeze over and Alton Towers lower their entrance price to compensate for their sorely lacking line-up and appalling ride reliability?

Absolutely not. Perhaps the price will remain the same, but there's more chance of us getting a Top Thrill Dragster clone than prices lowering.

It won't be any less. I'm fairly sure of that.

Maybe why we are potentially getting Sub Terra back in some form plus the HH refurb as they know the product is not going to be very strong without its iconic coaster for a year

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.