• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis- The End and Beyond

Jono

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Hi all

Not sure if this topic has been done before and I hate to talk about it, but I think it would be an interesting topic.

Nemesis cannot be in Alton Towers forever and will eventually have to leave. I know that it would probably be a long time before AT eventually remove it...and If they do... what would they do next???

Would they just keep renewing the ride and not replace it for another while to come? Would they remove it and build another, better Inverted coaster? Or will they take a different path and build something completely different to Nemesis.

I dont mind what they do when/if they remove it in the future. What Alton Towers thinks is right I think is right.

I would like to see a unique ride. Something with a great backstory, maybe even better than Nemesis´s

Thoughts?

cool_boy_jon

Well if Nemesis was going anytime soon they wouldn't have spent all the money on Sub-terra f they were getting rid of it in a year or two...

I would probably be seeing Nemmy never going anytime soon as the ride and it's landscape were shaped around it. Same with Oblivion and Air with the rock formations.

The B&M's can last another good 30 years at least. But I would think that Nemmy would be first to go as the GP may get bored of it someday and ST in need of a dire update. Replacing tracks isn't entirely possible but you can spruce it.

I am not saying that it will be gone anytime soon. I would just like to discuss WHEN it goes.

Stelios said:
Replacing tracks isn't entirely possible but you can spruce it.

It sure is possible, The Big One at PBBP has been retracked many times and that's just one example!

To be honest, I would prefer not to think about such an event as this- it would just be downright depressing. Won't happen for a long time though, and other coasters in the park- like Rita, RMT and Sonic Spinball- will be much more likely to be cleared first.

After Nemesis is gone, I like to think at least it would be replaced by a clone- but that probably won't happen. In a perfect world, Nemesis would never need to be replaced.

Bear said:
Stelios said:

It sure is possible, The Big One at PBBP has been retracked many times and that's just one example!

I believe Nemesis has been re-tracked in the past as well, it's not un-common for coasters to need a retrack every-so-often

Bear said:
Stelios said:

As I said that it isn't entirely possible, but it could be albeit be much harder due to the pits and near waterfall area where it and the lake would have to be drained and be too much faff for Alton.

Also Jon, I think it's too premature to precisely say when it goes at the moment.

the only problem with the site is that IF they do remove Nemesis at some point (after getting the bolt cutters out and removing Badger from the resort) they will struggle to actually use the site, if they fill the pit in it will be a LONG time before they an build anything on the site due to the effects of the excavation. and if they try and utilize the pit in a new ride it will be tricky as the pit is sculpted to suit Nemesis they would just end up with a very similar ride.

Id love to see them giving the old girl some TLC, replacing components when needed, and upgrading the ride system, modernizing the technology that runs the ride. just generally future proofing her so she is in good shape to carry on doing what she does best

I'm still convinced that it's entirely the original track.

But to answer the original question, you'll have grown out of rollercoasters and theme parks by the time it is removed. These topics are indeed tedious and completely unnecessary.

some of the track has DEFINITELY been replaced over the years, part of the helix for example was replaced in the last 5 years or so

DaveW said:
some of the track has DEFINITELY been replaced over the years, part of the helix for example was replaced in the last 5 years or so

Apart from a picture which may or may not suggest that a tiny piece (certainly not an entire section) was removed, I've never seen any evidence of it.

I remain to be convinced that a section has been removed and replaced with a new fabricated section. I find it more likely that a section has been removed for weld repairs or simply inspection in a workshop and refitted (if any sections have ever been removed).

Once again, I don't KNOW anything - but I remain to be convinced, and am eager to settle the issue once and for all. Indeed, I started a topic on the very subject over on "the other place".

I believe a piece of either the vertical loop or the section just before was replaced a few years back, the ride closed during fireworks as it had a hairline fracture in the track piece.

Well I don't want to cast doubt on your claim, but how certain are you? I would find it more likely that any such crack would be removed and repaired in situ. I doubt such a defect would justify an entire section replacement.

Any new piece would stand out like a sore thumb in terms of its paintwork, bolting and everything.

The track in its entirety is consistently the same appearance in terms of age, weathering, colour etc - from what I have seen.

the track is also painted and distressed, not unreasonable that any differences in track age are concealed behind this.

a lot of work was carried out on the track and support as you enter the tunnel after the loop a couple of years ago, but i dont think any track was replaced then, just foundations recast and a new bit added to deflect waterfall water from these foundations

I believe the track section would be removed and repaired. When steel is used under so much much force, such as the helix, welding outside would not only be a waste of time, but inadequate. Once the section is properly re-fabricated, it would need to be load tested.

So with the case that welding outside is shite (quite frankly) and load testing a section properly would require the track to be removed, leads me to believe that any pictures of track being 'replaced' is just indeed the same piece of track once it has been rapaired.

Not only that, I could only imagine the cost of a certain section of track from b&m! It would have to be a carbon copy of the original!

All in all - There is no way I believe a hairline crack would warrant a whole new track section. Not with today's fabrication techniques at least...

but B&Ms have a life time guarantee don't they? so any replacement would not cost the park? the forces put on the track in the helix are unusually strong even for a coaster though are they not?

Indeed they are, (much to our enjoyment :) ), but regardless of who pays for the work, surely even b&m would rather repair a piece of track rather than replace a whole section! There must be at least 80 welds required for even the smallest section, rather than the one or two for a decent repair. Infact from my Very brief & limited extensive experience, repairs normally become a 'strong point' rather than a weakness.

It's the fact they make such gaurantees over lifetime that leads me to suspect that the track has been engineered and fabricated to such a high quality that replacement of any section seems most unlikely to me. The ride (track and trains) by its nature means that forces/stress are spread over large areas/many welds at any one time.