• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New 4D Free Spin S&S

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
S&S are designing a new FREE SPIN 4D coaster ready to install! Apparently this has already been ordered and should be open in the next two years!

Park/Design etc remain secret.

Check the testing video out (and full article):
http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/-inside-story-utah-home-worlds-scariest-rollercoaster-11632.shtml

Their newest creation is the new 4-D Free Spin, this roller coaster is so high-tech it gives riders a different experience each time they ride. Mike Worley, the Senior Mechanical engineer for the project said, "We want people to be able to go on the ride and have enough variability to have three flips on one ride, five or maybe just two."

:eek:

Re: BREAKING NEWS: NEW 4D FREE SPIN S&S!!

Alastair said:
Old news!

OK chip piddler lol!!!

Did they break that an install was due though lol??? ;D

The restraints look hideous.

Danny said:
The restraints look hideous.

Still prototypes though, I'd want about 50 seat belts, a vest, an OTSR, a lap bar and probably a straight jacket to go on it!

:twirly:

Looks a little naff in that configuration. Once it's in a full circuit, I'll make a better judgement on it.

:)

I don't understand the commotion over this. We've known S&S were offering the model since last year and the ride concept looks almost identical to the Intamin Ball Coaster which has been around since 2007.

Blaze said:
It's just a ZachSpin.

The Zac Spin makes no turns, it only basically goes in 1 set of motion, I cannot imagine the S&S will be the same - what would be the point in that?

They are also compact layouts. To me it's a bit like comparing Hero to Manta, looking at a Zacspin compared to X2.

So no, I don't just think it's an Intamin ball coaster & I can imagine the complexities of strain on components doing barrel rolls, helix etc on free spinning cars is far more difficult to design.

I'll take that comment back if they use the same flat track design Intamin use, if not, we should give them more credit I think.

S&S are very excited about what they have developed over the last few years (yes they are of course biased). I think what they have is much more interesting tham the Intamin Ball Coasters. I hope a park builds one so we can see what S&S are able to do with a full layout as the prototype is very basic.

Rob said:
S&S are very excited about what they have developed over the last few years (yes they are of course biased). I think what they have is much more interesting tham the Intamin Ball Coasters. I hope a park builds one so we can see what S&S are able to do with a full layout as the prototype is very basic.

Apparently one is in development. It's a shame I don't think we'll ever get one in the UK given their expense and size.

The size of the track and cars indicates that this is going to be much bigger than a ZachSpin, and given that S&S make "proper" 4D coasters, it seems logical that they would head in that direction with this model. What I find odd, is why they seem to have used Disk-O style box track? I suppose it works for that prototype layout, but I can't see it being much use for turns.

From looking at the video simulation of what the ride will look like (from 1min 45 on that video), it doesn't appear to turn, but will just be like the ZacSpin layouts. Hope it doesn't ride like one, I hate ZacSpins.... :mad:

There was another topic where the two stock layouts were posted. It is like the Intamin coasters, there's no turns.

Blaze said:
There was another topic where the two stock layouts were posted. It is like the Intamin coasters, there's no turns.

Yup, having checked up Blaze it seems I owe you an apology mate you're right!

Apparently they may have magnets or stuff to help increase spin but this is disappointing.

On the other hand they were apparently looking at long train thrill versions of their Free Fly, "Free Fly X"

11 MINUTES IN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5dsMftFJZHE#t=662

That looks more interesting to me!

smudge said:
That looks like it could be intense!!

Looks Great :D

I'd love to see towers get one of those next. Even a standard free fly would be a great family coaster. It has that point of difference and ingenuity that Towers really needs. If they made the track small enough it kind of doubles up as a flat as well.

I am sure they could find it easy to theme to CBeebies land as well.

A cross valley S&S free fly X

TheMan said:
smudge said:
That looks like it could be intense!!

Looks Great :D

I'd love to see towers get one of those next. Even a standard free fly would be a great family coaster. It has that point of difference and ingenuity that Towers really needs. If they made the track small enough it kind of doubles up as a flat as well.

I am sure they could find it easy to theme to CBeebies land as well.

A cross valley S&S free fly X

Haha, of course.

Judging by the video though, I think it would more suite the thrill market than Cboobies. I guess the layout could determine the intensity of spinning, but the layout on the video certainly looked like it may could be a high-thrill machine. I'd say there's certainly room for this within Sonic's footprint, I just worry about the height needed to overcome the drag and extra weight (the trains hardly look 'nimble').

Sorry, just realized you were maybe talking about the standard fre-fly :/

Anyway, Towers, there's your USP... Worlds first, & all that jazz. :)