• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New game releases and thoughts?

M

Mankey

In the absence of the gaming sub-forum, I thought this would be a decent gaming topic.

Have you played any new games recently? What did you think? Do you know of any upcoming releases? If so tell us!

I recently played the PC version of Max Payne 3. After a very VERY long wait from the 2nd installment this made for an amazing change. Game-play felt the same, the story had the same similar gritty feel but oh wow was it good!

Also, recently I invested in Battlefield 3's premium pack. Close quarters was released last tuesday just gone, and got to have a short session on that before I headed up to the lasses for the summer. All in all I'm impressed. The new maps and game modes remind me of old school gaming, back when CoD was fun, and with modes like Gun Master (exactly the same as Gun Game from CS) its a bit of a nostalgia trip.

Anyone got anything else to add? anything to recommend?

As long as it's not a Halo 3 I'm happy. I really didn't get on with Halo 3, and I still to this day don't understand why! :/

I'll use this topic to do a quick summary of the games that caught my eye at E3 and how I think they'll do when they are brought onto shelves.

Halo 4:

343i was created with the Halo franchise in mind and heart. And the fact many employees from Bungie jumped ship to ensure the next game in the franchise was the same, if not better quality than the previous games in the franchise, assures me that the game is in safe hands.

I like the organisation that 343i are putting into multiplayer through the use of the UNSC Infinity. Dividing multiplayer into Spartan Ops and War Games is something I'm happy to see as Spartan Ops will ensure the game has a long lifespan. I'm not too happy with the way 343i are trying to replicate some elements of CoD, Spartan Ops leeching off Spec Ops for example, and the weapon load outs at the start of the game. I much prefer the idea of everyone having the same weapon to start with.

Campaign wise, the new enemies look well thought out and will probably have abilities to ensure campaign on Legendary is a hell of a task to get through. And I can't wait to dive into the story which will no doubt see Cortana rampaging through AI space :D

No sign of Forge mode. This displeases me. And therefore causes my verdict on the game to drop.

Already pre-ordered limited edition and no doubt Halo 4 will be a success when it comes out!

Danny's Vote: 9/10

Forza Horizon

It's great to see Forza is expanding beyond the track, something that will give it a one up on a certain PS3 rival game. The music choice for the trailer was damn awful, but it seems we're moving into an age where all music is now produced on laptops rather than instruments. I see the new Dodge Viper is the spotlight car for the game, which is fair enough as the Viper has been a massive icon for American cars since it has been produced. It'll be good to see how Horizon stacks up against the Most Wanted reboot, but I'll be buying both the games nonetheless and look forward to seeing how large the world map provided is.

Danny's Vote: 7.5/10

Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Most Wanted is hands down, THE best game in the Need For Speed franchise. I was expecting Hot Pursuit 2 as NFS 2012, but I was clearly mistaken. Whilst it all looks flashy with the current generation NFS graphics and car choices, the games really seems to fall upon the whole "beat your friends" element. The whole thing I enjoyed about Most Wanted was progressing up the Black List that was already provided in the game, and completing the tasks required to ensure I was the Most Wanted. That was the whole story of the game and in my eyes, what made it tick. What I'm seeing from this game now, is less of a story than the original which is probably the reason I'm currently not rating it too high until I hear more. I'll most likely part ways with my cash for it, but I have a feeling something will let me down with this.

Danny's Vote: 7/10

Call Of Duty Black Ops II

We all knew from the start that after MW3 we'd most likely have Black Ops 2. After watching the trailer not long before E3 though, I was very much surprised to see the game was set in the not too distant future, and is slightly realistic in the term of real world technological advancement. However after watching the E3 demo, it was back to the basics. They've used the same graphics now time and time again, and whilst the saying "don't fix it if it isn't broken" is what is being applied here, I've grown rather tired of the graphics CoD offers. You only have to look at a pile of rubble in previous games that share the same graphics to realise that some visual aspects have been rushed. I really was hoping for perfect visual quality this time round but that probably won't happen.

Multiplayer will be the same full of rude people who think they know all about war because they revised all the gun names in the game and have a high rank.

Zombies. I'm glad they're back. And with 8 people co-op. Nom.

Danny's Vote: 7.5/10

Watch_Dogs

I think it's safe to say the majority of people who saw this little unexpected gem from Ubisoft were blown away. I certainly was. Ubisofts answer to GTA, but with technology playing a much larger key note in the story. It looks to have endless possibilities with that you can do with that little smart phone you carry around, and my jaw was in the floor when I discovered the many ways to escape opponents in car chases by raising bridges at the touch of a button whilst speeding through traffic. I have high hopes for this game, and no doubt it will sell way as long as Ubisoft slowly feed the public with further teasers and answers.

Danny's Vote: 8.5/10

Fifa 13

EA's main cash cow. Not much changes every year and EA's idea is the following:

"Put this update into Fifa 13, this into Fifa 14, this into Fifa 15, etc etc". Simply to gain more money.

I'd much rather them produce one game called Fifa, then update it through forms of DLC and update the teams and kits each year accordingly. And adding Kinect compatibility isn't going to win me over EA. No chance.

Danny's Vote: 3/10

Eugh E3, mostly filled with underpowered dated, simplistic, uninspiring console games! ;)

S'all about GDC!

Been playing a lot of skyrim recently, the integration with the steam workshop is amazing, and with loads of graphical and performance mods, the game can look ridiculously stunning on PC...

So been very interested in the latest DLC to be announced.

Oh and half life 3.... It'll be out... These things, they take time...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

22040714.jpg

This thread has just reminded me to preorder Black Ops 2 and FIFA 13. Yes, this early. ;)

I've given up with CoD. What they're doing is wrong! "HAY GUISE! LETS RELEASE THE SAME GAME AGAIN RESKINNED BUT INCOMPLETE SO WE CAN SELL THE REST AS DLC WORTH £10-£15!! *CHORTLE CHORTLE*

I gave up with CoD after Black Ops. Having been a player since the original, seeing it develop in exciting ways I was looking forward to Black Ops, I then bought it for £45 to find barely any maps, and the ones that were there weren't designed well, and the game was pretty much exactly the same as MW2.

No thanks. CoD aren't getting my money anymore!

Danny said:

For exactly the reason you've stated because everybody wants it and why shouldn't they it's a solid series that's been an instant purchase for a lot of people it's a household name not only with gamers but also kids and parents to put it simply they don't need to show it, it's success is already assured.

Mankey said:
Also, recently I invested in Battlefield 3's premium pack. Close quarters was released last tuesday just gone, and got to have a short session on that before I headed up to the lasses for the summer. All in all I'm impressed. The new maps and game modes remind me of old school gaming, back when CoD was fun, and with modes like Gun Master (exactly the same as Gun Game from CS) its a bit of a nostalgia trip.

DICE do Call of Duty better than Call of Duty do Call of Duty. I like Close Quarters but I bought it for the guns and less so for the maps but I find myself addicted to Ziba Tower and Donya Fortress Opp. 925 and Scrapmetal less so but the maps are ok. There is a lot of unused space on the maps particularly when playing Conquest Domination and the small capping areas for the flags allows the support class free reign with their C4.

Apart from that it's not a bad map pack but the lack of ribbons for CQD and CQTDM and GM (which I despise) is annoying, why don't these modes have ribbons and why are there no more medals, or why not just hand out regular conquest of TDM ribbons at the end of rounds, they did the same thing with Back to Karkand (which has much better maps but worse guns, even though they've never been able to sort Wake Island out and it's been on every Battlefield except the Bad Company games) and it's just annoying.

As for the other game modes well CQTDM is just regular TDM but with less players so on some maps particularly Opp. 925 you'll run around forever trying to find people to kill, Gun Master is terrible, why don't the guns change each round? Why must they copy Call of Duty completely? Gun Master really is there to pull in more players but it gives those who have exceptional aim or those are more experienced the chance to completely obliterate the enemy, I struggle with it and I'm Colonel Service Star 53!

The guns are exceptional, the MTAR-21 is the best carbine in the game and the M5K with extended mags is beastly, the AUG is also good and the L86 provides a good cross over for those used to assault rifles to start using the support class.

Anyway that's all I can think of at the moment. :p

cool_boy_jon said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._2

New super mario bros 2 is coming out with a new objective: collect as many coins as possible! Looks fun!

What does everyone else think about it?

I'm not looking forward too it as a diehard Nintendo fanboy. It's just meh more of the same that would of suited a Wario game better but they slapped Mario on it to make more money. It's a deep shame really. If they spaced it out between NSMB2 and U maybe I would of digged it more but it's certainly not convincing me to get a 3DS yet. Maybe I'm not a Nintendo fanboy anymore?

Stelios said:
cool_boy_jon said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._2

New super mario bros 2 is coming out with a new objective: collect as many coins as possible! Looks fun!

What does everyone else think about it?

I'm not looking forward too it as a diehard Nintendo fanboy. It's just meh more of the same that would of suited a Wario game better but they slapped Mario on it to make more money. It's a deep shame really. If they spaced it out between NSMB2 and U maybe I would of digged it more but it's certainly not convincing me to get a 3DS yet. Maybe I'm not a Nintendo fanboy anymore?

To be honest, I don't consider being much of a Nintendo fan anymore. This is despite Nintendo being a big part of my growing up. They've always been able to release amazing games, with a higher quality than any other company I can think of. I don't even need to mention any names; chances are, if you are a gamer at least some of your favourite games of all time were made by Nintendo.

Nintendos consoles have only ever got by because of the amazing first party support. Even the GameCube, which was all but forgotten during its lifespan by everyone on the planet, had such good exclusives that it didn't matter if you were missing out on games available on PS2/Xbox. But with the Wii, this support has all but disappeared. Out of the main franchises, there have been very few that have released on the Wii (Virtual Console not included). This generation we have missed out on F-Zero, Starfox and more. And all the other big names are announced years before they actually came out, so there was too much waiting between the big titles. The only new franchises Nintendo has put money into are the Wii-whatever games, with varying success.

With the Wii U, I should be really excited. But the only games announced were the launch titles, which come to four games if I remember rightly - pikmin 3, new super mario bros u, wii fit u and Nintendoland. No new Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Starfox or anything else. Smash Bros is the only other game we do know about, but that's years away. And that's my biggest problem - Nintendo always announces its biggest games years before they are released, without exception. Even Mario Galaxy 2, which was built on the same game engine as the first, was announced ages before it was ready. That's just nintendos style. Unfortunately, to me this simply means there will be no major releases for the Wii U next year. It'll be 2014 at the very least before we get anything really big. But judging from Nintendos effort with the Wii, even that is being optimistic. It's like they don't care anymore.

I don't even care if they go under, as they seem to be unwilling to release games which are sure to make millions. A full console version of Pokemon would sell incredibly well, yet they can't be bothered to do that. Hell, they still refuse to add any real voiceovers to games like Zelda, which doesn't sound like a big deal yet it made Skyward Sword feel incredibly dated compared to every game out now. It's a shame that when they are good, they are REALLY good, but they don't seem to be bothered anymore. Either that, or their ego has got the better of them.