• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Merlin Monthly Membership Pass

Hmmm you're right, it appears to be about £50 cheaper to pay monthly than to pay upfront, which does not seem right. The perks seem to be the same as well.

It seems to be two different products. One is an annual pass and one is a membership pass, and I assume that the latter will keeping running until you decide to cancel it (i.e. you do not need to renew).

Something just does not seem right though.

It seems to be two different products. One is an annual pass and one is a membership pass, and I assume that the latter will keeping running until you decide to cancel it (i.e. you do not need to renew).

Good idea+Merlin Entertainments=poorly implemented

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I mean if it is cheaper and the pass is essentially the same then I am not complaining, I will likely switch to the monthly pass when I am due to renew early next year.

I suspect it'll run like the Cineworld Unlimited card - you have to have minimum 12 months before you can cancel then after that you can cancel with 30 days notice.

This to me appears they’ve stalled on the old style passes, people who want them already have them and now they are going after the people who can’t / don’t want to pay all up front.

Bit of a surprise to see the U-turn given the issues they previously had of people cancelling future payments...

Hmmm you're right, it appears to be about £50 cheaper to pay monthly than to pay upfront, which does not seem right. The perks seem to be the same as well.

The membership price is roughly the same price as the renewal price for standard annual passes. So basically you get the renewal price in your first year and then subsequent years are cheaper still. But I would also assume many people get their first annual pass at a sale price anyway.

Standard annual pass is £179, renewal is £139. In the sale in January 2018 it was £129 for a new pass.
Standard membership is £137.87 over the first year, and then £107.88 in the following years.

Therefore assuming sale price remains around £129, two years of standard passes would be £238-258 (not sure on the sale renewal price).
Two years of membership would be £245.75.

Basically if you buy in the sale then annual pass might be cheaper. But in general, membership does give better value.

I don't believe after 12 months the monthly payment would stay the same though. I'm guessing the price would go up and they'd want you to sign a new 12 month contract to lock you in again at a slightly cheaper rate.

I would want to read the terms and conditions careful on this before I bought it. It seems too good to be true and as this is Merlin there is probably a sting somewhere... [/cynic]

I don't believe after 12 months the monthly payment would stay the same though. I'm guessing the price would go up and they'd want you to sign a new 12 month contract to lock you in again at a slightly cheaper rate.

I would want to read the terms and conditions careful on this before I bought it. It seems too good to be true and as this is Merlin there is probably a sting somewhere... [/cynic]
Merlin will have a "we can change the terms whenever we feel like it without telling you" term like they do In the VIP terms at least.(I assume smap and pmap have it)

13. If Merlin wants to apply an increase to the price of your future monthly membership fee payments, Merlin will give you notice of its new monthly membership fee by sending a notice to the e-mail address you provide. If you do not wish to continue your Membership at the new monthly membership fee payment amount, you may cancel your Membership by contacting us within 30 days of receiving such notice. See the "Cancellation of your Membership" section above for how to do this.

You are correct.

I still like this deal, however I feel there's a lot to lose by signing up to a contract ran by merlin.

way back in 2010 or 2011 there was the original Merlin Membership which I had and ran for 3 or so years and cost £15 per month for Premieum at the time the member ship worked out at £180 and was roughly £30 more than paying outright for the Premium.

My only gripe would be after 3 years I got a letter (pretty aure I mentioned this in the forum years ago) that the Merlin Membership was being discontinued as Merlin didn't see this as the way forward. They gave me 6 months free admission and then offered a Premium Pass at a reduced rate at the end of that season. (Think it was 2015 or 2014).

You got a welcome gift pack like you did with the a Premium Pass (Lanyard, Freinds Rates, Fast Pass vouchers) but after the first year you didn't get any of these like you do when you renew a normal pass.
When the membership was rolled out on its first run none of the attractions knew about it and the barcode on the membership card was smaller so it wouldn't scan at the entrance. The amount of looks that I got as staff didn't know what it was and I had to explain what a membership was back then.

Also when the Merlin Membership was introduced in the first run I got it on day one. They only offered the membership for about 6 months then suddenly stopped offering it so that kind of locked new customers out of it and they had to pay for standard / Premium upfront.

Is it a good idea? i think it's good they have brought it back due to the monthly out lay. Would I get one? Really thinking about joining again after my current pass expires in February (depending on what the Jan sale prices look like)

Merlin need to take note of the following ;-

1) Breif the Merlin Membership to all attractions and staff and make sure they know it's available (don't fancy explaining to Merlin Attarctions what one of their own products is) This also applies when phoning Merlin as well.

2) Make sure the barcodes on the new cards actually work at the attractions.

3) Don't offer the membership for a few months after launch and then stop offering it so in effect the offer isn't available for long.

4) let us have a renewal pack with the vouchers and lanyard every 12 months on the anniversary of the membership.

If Merlin sort out the above then I'm sure it will run a lot smoother 2nd time around.

way back in 2010 or 2011 there was the original Merlin Membership which I had and ran for 3 or so years and cost £15 per month for Premieum at the time the member ship worked out at £180 and was roughly £30 more than paying outright for the Premium.

My only gripe would be after 3 years I got a letter (pretty aure I mentioned this in the forum years ago) that the Merlin Membership was being discontinued as Merlin didn't see this as the way forward. They gave me 6 months free admission and then offered a Premium Pass at a reduced rate at the end of that season. (Think it was 2015 or 2014).

You got a welcome gift pack like you did with the a Premium Pass (Lanyard, Freinds Rates, Fast Pass vouchers) but after the first year you didn't get any of these like you do when you renew a normal pass.
When the membership was rolled out on its first run none of the attractions knew about it and the barcode on the membership card was smaller so it wouldn't scan at the entrance. The amount of looks that I got as staff didn't know what it was and I had to explain what a membership was back then.

Also when the Merlin Membership was introduced in the first run I got it on day one. They only offered the membership for about 6 months then suddenly stopped offering it so that kind of locked new customers out of it and they had to pay for standard / Premium upfront.

Is it a good idea? i think it's good they have brought it back due to the monthly out lay. Would I get one? Really thinking about joining again after my current pass expires in February (depending on what the Jan sale prices look like)

Merlin need to take note of the following ;-

1) Breif the Merlin Membership to all attractions and staff and make sure they know it's available (don't fancy explaining to Merlin Attarctions what one of their own products is) This also applies when phoning Merlin as well.

2) Make sure the barcodes on the new cards actually work at the attractions.

3) Don't offer the membership for a few months after launch and then stop offering it so in effect the offer isn't available for long.

4) let us have a renewal pack with the vouchers and lanyard every 12 months on the anniversary of the membership.

If Merlin sort out the above then I'm sure it will run a lot smoother 2nd time around.
I'm guessing it helps now they have one decent ticketing system across the majority of attractions.