• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New UK emergency alert system discussion

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Wasn't sure where to put this, but in the early evening of Sunday 23rd April the Government will be doing a national test of the emergency alerts system.

Screenshot_20230319-133048.png

All the information about the system is on the website;

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones​

A siren-like alert will be sent to mobile phone users across the UK next month to test a new government public warning system.
It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.
The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.
Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices.
A message will appear on the home screens of people's devices during the test, with vibration and a loud warning sound that will ring for about 10 seconds, even if the phone is set to silent.
The system - which became operational on Sunday - is being modelled on similar schemes used in the US, Canada, Japan and The Netherlands.
Messages would only ever come from the government or emergency services and will initially focus on the most serious weather-related events, with the ability to get a message to 90% of mobile users within the relevant area.
Terror alerts could be added to the list of potential events that would trigger a notification.
The messages will include details of the area impacted and instructions about how to respond. They will only be sent where there is an immediate risk to life and many people may not receive an alert for months or years.
Cabinet minister Oliver Dowden told the BBC the warnings are sent in a "very targeted way" and other than the test, he hopes many people will never hear the alert again.
People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off.

Alerts 'can save a life'​

The Cabinet Office says the service will be secure, free to receive and will not collect personal information such as someone's telephone number, identity or location.
The new system uses cell broadcasting technology and messages will be based on someone's current location - but location services do not need to be switched on to receive the alerts.
That is because when an alert is triggered, all cell towers in a defined area will broadcast it, allowing the message to reach an area the size of an electoral ward.
The government has released a video of what the alerts will sound like.

Trials have already been held in Reading and East Suffolk. People will also be alerted if they are in one of 19 other countries which currently use them.
Mr Dowden, whose role as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster gives him oversight of the preparation and planning for emergencies, said the technology would "revolutionise our ability to warn and inform people who are in immediate danger".
And he told the BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme the alert is "a sound that can save your life".
He said people are likely to hear the alert in instances where there has been a major flood and "your house was at risk of being inundated and your life is at risk".
National Fire Chiefs Council chairman Mark Hardingham said the new system would help fire and rescue services to do their jobs "and to help communities in the event of emergencies".
He said: "We've seen this type of system in action elsewhere across the world and we look forward to having the facility here in the UK - by working together with fire services and partners, we want this system to help us to help you be as safe as you can if a crisis does hit."
The Environment Agency's Caroline Douglas, executive director for flood and coastal erosion risk management, said the system would allow officials to communicate warnings in a "timely and accurate manner".

This video shows what alerts will sound like;

Last edited:
So much about phone privacy these days and then this will pretty much go against it. I’ll be happy not to be included in the test. We should be able to opt in our out but I can’t see there’s such an option.

Shame it's happening on a Sunday - I'd have loved to hear all the alerts going off in the ~1000-seat theatre I work in! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Already done months ago. I even have the Covid settings turned off. Don’t need anyone interfering in my phone.

You can't "opt out" precisely for privacy purposes. There's no database of people to send the alerts to, it's cell broadcast technology that's used to send the alert to all devices attached to the network with no knowledge of who each individual subscriber is or acknowledgement the message has been received. It's the same reason you receive those emergency alerts on your UK phone in other countries such as the US. It's also why this test is needed, as with no confirmation of receipt, the only way to verify they're being received is by having a sample cross section of the population signed up to provide confirmation and feedback that they received the alert.

So that emergency alerts option on your phone doesn't stop you from actually receiving the alert, but does stop the phone from processing the cell broadcast message as an alert to you. Basically a do not disturb specifically for emergency alerts.

It's been (way too many) years to get to this point, and it's only going to be used for scenarios where life is at risk. It could prove worthwhile in emergency situations in future such as terror attacks too, as the alerts can be sent only to specific areas, something which has already been tested in the past few years prior to this nationwide test.

It said in yesterdays papers there is an option to stop the alerts, but there is one very simple method to opt out of these alerts...no mobile.

You can't "opt out" precisely for privacy purposes. There's no database of people to send the alerts to, it's cell broadcast technology that's used to send the alert to all devices attached to the network with no knowledge of who each individual subscriber is or acknowledgement the message has been received. It's the same reason you receive those emergency alerts on your UK phone in other countries such as the US. It's also why this test is needed, as with no confirmation of receipt, the only way to verify they're being received is by having a sample cross section of the population signed up to provide confirmation and feedback that they received the alert.

So that emergency alerts option on your phone doesn't stop you from actually receiving the alert, but does stop the phone from processing the cell broadcast message as an alert to you. Basically a do not disturb specifically for emergency alerts.

It's been (way too many) years to get to this point, and it's only going to be used for scenarios where life is at risk. It could prove worthwhile in emergency situations in future such as terror attacks too, as the alerts can be sent only to specific areas, something which has already been tested in the past few years prior to this nationwide test.
It’s crazy that you can’t opt out. Personally, I don’t see why we’re not being given the option here. Out of the many millions in this country, probably less than half would opt out if there was a choice. They really don’t need every single mobile phone in the country to do this test.

I have an iPhone. In the settings there are Emergency SOS settings where you can press buttons in emergency - this is different to what they will be testing.

I’ll be happy to test it either way but then I will also be somewhat disappointed and concerned at the security behind it, especially as Apple is very good on security and something that attracts me to their tech.

To touch in your last point, yes it could prove worthwhile in terror attacks etc. Yet there are people out there on social media who seem to think it could be used for much smaller things. Now whether it will or not I’m not sure but I’m sure the aim for this is things that could happen on a national scale.

It’s crazy that you can’t opt out. Personally, I don’t see why we’re not being given the option here. Out of the many millions in this country, probably less than half would opt out if there was a choice. They really don’t need every single mobile phone in the country to do this test.

I have an iPhone. In the settings there are Emergency SOS settings where you can press buttons in emergency - this is different to what they will be testing.

I’ll be happy to test it either way but then I will also be somewhat disappointed and concerned at the security behind it, especially as Apple is very good on security and something that attracts me to their tech.

To touch in your last point, yes it could prove worthwhile in terror attacks etc. Yet there are people out there on social media who seem to think it could be used for much smaller things. Now whether it will or not I’m not sure but I’m sure the aim for this is things that could happen on a national scale.
But if you chose to opt out, that would then require a list of people who have done so - therefore a potential privacy issue is created by having that database exist. The cell broadcast is received by all supported devices connected to the 4G/5G network at the time, there's no querying of a databases and no knowledge of the individual devices/locations. As already mentioned, you can disable the alerts in your iPhone (in effect opting out at device level) by going into settings and notifications then scrolling down to emergency alerts, but it won't opt you out at network level, the phone simply stops processing the messages.

Since the alerts are going to be used for potentially life threatening situations, it's essential that the options are enabled by default on supported phones, as opposed to disabled by default. As you mentioned, Apple are very privacy conscious, but they agree that they can be enabled by default, as with no database being queried or location info being sent there are none of those privacy issues as a result.

The alerts are initially only going to be enabled for severe weather, fire and flooding events, but potentially could be expanded in future to include things such as terrorist attacks. In terms of people creating rumours of it being used for "smaller things" on social media, it's pure speculation and not really the case. The bar for sending real emergency alerts will be incredibly high and can only be sent by the emergency services and government agencies that deal with emergency responses. They'll also be aware that overusing the system would result in people muting the notifications, so it truly will be the critical situations it'll be used for.

This is absolutely nuts - I'm opted out as much as I can be - I am the opposite of a conspiracy theorist - more of a left wing critical thinker - but I get enough shit sent to my phone from my provider, work, banks etc - this is my critical thinking, what possible thing could I need to be alerted to in the UK - no earthquakes etc - if it's nuclear it's probably too late - it's just a nonsense and probably yet another complete waste of our money!

this is my critical thinking, what possible thing could I need to be alerted to in the UK - no earthquakes etc - if it's nuclear it's probably too late - it's just a nonsense
You may think it nonsense, but there's a myriad of past incidents where specific targeted communication could have potentially saved lives, property or made managing an incident far easier:
In terms of weather, we're going to get more severe events as times goes on. More flooding, more wildfires. Quickly getting those warnings out is essential to preventing loss of life and injuries.

Grenfell btw is a terrible example as crews actually on the ground gave bad and contradictory advice.

I just don't think it will happen in a timescale that makes any difference - the tragedy of Grenfell wouldn't even be included in such an event as it happened too quickly - and floods etc in the UK can be predicted at least 1 day in advance and are communicated across multiple platforms already - it makes sense in Pakistan, Indonesia etc but not in the UK - there is no need for it

Twitter will give far quicker and potentially useable advice than an app used by civil servants - i.e instant and meaningful (perhaps) than someone waiting to press a button to minimise panic - the bombings erm OK how would that help

Grenfell btw is a terrible example as crews actually on the ground gave bad and contradictory advice.
Grenfell is a prime example of the potential this service has, as the emergency services have had to learn from the mistakes made at that event.
Twitter will give far quicker and potentially useable advice than an app used by civil servants - i.e instant and meaningful (perhaps) than someone waiting to press a button to minimise panic - the bombings erm OK how would that help
But that's the point - this isn't an app. It's a feature that's enabled by default on many modern phones, nothing needs to be installed. Older people may not be savvy enough to access the likes of Twitter for information, this gives targeted information with the ability to adds links to websites or numbers to call if required. Social media can muddy the waters in the wake of an incident, so a specific alert which you can guarantee is from an official source and where everyone receives the exact same information could be vital.

For the likes of bombings or terror attacks particularly when there are assailants still at large, it could be used to advise people to avoid areas, or where they should go.

I can’t really fathom why some people would want to opt out of something that could save your life.

It’s not like it costs you anything, or is something that in some way inconveniences you, it’s literally an alert you let you know that something is happening that could be a very real threat to your life and those around you. Events like the Grenfell fire, London Bridge terror attacks, Manchester Arena bombing, the 2010 Cumbria shooting spree, or the Glasgow helicopter crash (where a helicopter crashed in to a pub killing people drinking inside it) show that shit can happen anywhere in the country, at any time, and can kill anybody. Absolutely bizarre why you’d want to opt out.

Last edited:
Ah ok I must be wrong that an event like a bombing or a helicopter crash etc can save your life by an alert after an event has already happened. Perhaps this "app" is using AI to predict the future - that would be awesome