• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nickelodeon TV Lab at ATH

Ben

TS Founding Member
Favourite Ride
Your Dad
Sometimes while poking around TowersStreet I find a gem of information I never knew about.

I discovered one last night, Im hoping some members might be able to add some knowledge.

Apparently in Alton Towers Hotel, where the arcade room stands used to be a Nickelodeon TV Lab, which apparently streamed Nickelodeon live during its broadcast hours and then would loop nicktoons in the evening.

Id assume this was all to do with the launch of Nickelodeon: Outta Control - which launched in 1997 a year after ATH opened its doors.

Does anyone know any more? Any pictures? Memories?

Cheers.

I'm sure there were some photos of it on TowersStreet somewhere, however I have spent ages looking through the gallery and Facebook page and can't find any! Maybe I just had a dream about it :p

I imagine it was just as short lived as the ride!

However the hotel opened in 1996, so what was the room used for in the hotels opening year (the Nick ride opened a year later in 1997).

This old promo pic has been on TowersTimes for years:

nick01.jpg

:)

I always thought that was a part of the ride.

I did quite like the ride, even though it was very odd.

I had a quick look in the arcade last week and there is still evidence of the TV Lab. On the back wall behind the arcade machines, there are a few different coloured panels on the wall, this would be where the TVs would have been inserted into the wall (as of course back then they didn't have flat screen TVs!), maybe the TVs are still there?! There is also a little picture on the wall of some children. You can see it on the image below on the bottom left.

nick01.jpg

I am at Towers again this weekend so if I remember I will try and get some photos!

I don't know why but I love founding out little clues to the past like that, even if it was just a tiny attraction. Thank you for spotting them!

As promised here are a few quick photos I have just taken on my phone:

Right hand side:
WP_001160_zps43f891cc.jpg

Middle:
WP_001159_zps968519ba.jpg

Left side, I find it strange that the picture of the children is still there, you can see it's the same picture as when it was Nickelodeon:
WP_001158_zps639c0127.jpg

And original photo:
nick01.jpg

Awesome spot. I love seeing evidence of past attractions still left lying around towers. I still look out for the old Aqualand sign on the shed near the rapids queue line whenever I go on, it still gives me a smile :)

Brilliant. Painted the walls yet kept that random picture.

Reminds me of the really, REALLY retro signs in Edge Arcade in Forbidden Valley, they have the early 90s logos on it talking about no smoking in their restuarants or something.

Unsure if they removed over this season, but if I ever remember I'll take a photo one day.

thefatone said:
Brilliant. Painted the walls yet kept that random picture.

Reminds me of the really, REALLY retro signs in Edge Arcade in Forbidden Valley, they have the early 90s logos on it talking about no smoking in their restuarants or something.

Unsure if they removed over this season, but if I ever remember I'll take a photo one day.

I do find it really strange that the room has been painted since being Nickelodeon, in fact I bet its been painted a few times, yet they still have the photo of the kids on the wall and the different coloured panels, maybe the TVs are still there!

Also I don't think I have ever been in Edge Games!