• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

NoLimits Noob - Scott's Stuff

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Hey guys, I recently bought NL and have been having a bit of a play about with some stuff, to see what I can make... I'm very new to it all, so don't expect anything incredible just yet!

This is something I made on the trial (unfortunately couldn't save it though so the screenshot is all that remains):

firsttry.png

Then we have 'Screw' - which is a very simple Vekoma I'm sorta working on:

2b0f88ecaa274232a761755.png

7a1ad02f54934e5a83d9141.png

^Side View

4502013da0be4bc7a1cb7ec.png

^Front View

It still needs smoothing out in places and could do with better supporting. Also I need to terraform it better, was attempting to make a lake inside the end turn but it went slightly wrong xD. Will post some simulation images once I iron those bits out.

Looks like a good start! Better than my first attempts at NoLimits :p

Just a couple of pointers:

Firstly, avoid curved break runs. While you sometimes see kickers going around a curve it's highly irregular to see brakes on a turn like that. I believe one of the main reasons is that most mechanical brakes use a fin or sorts which is clamped onto by the break pads. When taking a corner though obviously this fin will be at different positions on the track all the way through the turn. It's easier for companies to do them on a straight to ensure equal pressure across the train when stopping, and much easier to design and manufacture.

Second, what's the breakrun at the bottom of the drop doing? :p Is it to enable you to run two trains efficiently? I can't imagine a brakerun that short at the bottom of such a tall drop can safely bring the train to a halt. If you want to run trains create one run at the end of the ride which is long enough to bring the train to a complete stop. Then place another stretch which connects to the station after it. This means that one can be sat on the second brakes when the train in the station dispatches. This then moves into the station when clear while the second train is on the lift. A coaster of this length wouldn't be long enough to warrant a MCBR :)

Lastly consider tightening the angle at the top of the lift. A lot of coasters crest the lifts quite tightly. The only real exceptions are highspeed lifts, or cable lifts like Intamin do. Compare the bottom of yours to the top and you'll probably see what I mean.

Also I don't know if it's just me, but the lift seems to constantly curve. The best way I find to do them is have two nodes at the bottom, and create the curve using these two. Then place another node right at the top of the lift, and one after it. Then use these two to create the upper curve. Finally, select the section between the two and press I. This will straighten the lift out so it travels at a continual angle from bottom to top.

ed3f765486d44f47a3a28f6.png

A quick way to do this on yours might be to delete the two nodes in the centre of this picture, and then select the length of track which will then make the lift and press I. It'll look much more realistic :)

Aside from that though it's a great start. Well done :D

I think the break at the bottom is a trim.

As Ian says, breaks should be straight, not curved, and mustn't change banking. Lifts should have a long straight section-use the I button.

I think Ian pretty much covers everything.

Hope to see more from you in future, good luck!

Great coaster for a beginner! I suggest you hold the "ctrl" key and click the middle segments of track on the lift, then right click, & press "Make Straight" this will then give you a more realistic lift hil. The same applies for the break run.

Most of the other ways you could improve it have already been covered by the above posts, so I won't go into that.

Good luck!

:)

Thanks for the tips guys! Very much appreciated!

I knew the lift hill was a bit wonky but didn't realise it was that easy to get straight so I'll get that sorted. Also, the break at the bottom of the lift is a trim because otherwise the forces were too high through the inversion... However I need to look at the end brakes before the station still, but I knew this was a slight issue.

I'm not fussed about running more than 1 train as it's a short coaster, but I might try to add a longer break run before the station so I can try doing this.

Thanks again guys :)