• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Notre Dame Fire

Error

TS Member
Thoughts go to the people in Paris in regards to this truly tragic event.

The fact that this was a place my wife and I went to on our honeymoon and been a few other times - has shocked the both of us.

850 year old building that's stood through wars and revolutions, only to be crippled by a fire.

It’s really shocking how nearly 1000 years of history can be destroyed within just a few hours. That is truly devastating. :(

Lots of dry old wood. Surprised it took this long. Same for any such building anywhere in Europe tbh.

People say that all the time about timber, but it's fine so long as it's looked after and measures are taken to ensure it doesnt catch.

Most houses have timber roof structures in this country. The walls are stone so pretty good protection for anything inside. It's almost certainly only because of the renovation works that the fire started, someone welding in the roof or something that caused it to catch.

I do think it is pretty disgusting how so many organisations, companies and rich people have donated such large sums of money to save an iconic building but cannot contribute money to some of the more pressing problems humans are currently or will be shortly facing. Problems that Scientists all agree could threaten the very existence of humans ourselves, thus making donations to this completely mute and irrelevant.

I get that it is an iconic building and such and that it will be great to see it restored, of course it will. But, there are far bigger issues that sort of money could help solve. The fact that companies get very large tax breaks when they donate money to certain institutions like the church doesn't help my cynicalism one bit, coincidence? I think not. Motivated over money.

The catholic church is already filthy rich. I mean come on, it wont even dent their own coffers to restore this building themselves. It wont!

What a totally bent and backwards world we all live in. The rich donating huge sums to the filthy rich, but won't donate money to help save the thing we all rely on for life, or to help cure disease and starvation. The world is a joke sometimes.

Last edited:
Shaun Sanbrooke has uploaded a Notre Dame vlog to his "adventureshaun" channel.

I'm glad he did, i was in Paris a few days before the fire and didn't have time to go in to the cathedral, so his vlog is the closest i'll get to seeing it.