• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Old Guidebooks

benvincer

TS Founding Member
Hello,

I have started to build a collection of old guidebooks and have made a start on dating them. Unfortunately many of them carry no references to any sort of dates in the early years so I am estimating by the attraction arrivals and departures.
It would seem however that AT decided to add items to their maps in chronological order (i.e. every new attraction was simply added at the next available number) meaning that they are quite easy to put in the correct order (or as I believe!)

#1 1957
3joz.jpg

#2 1959
wm6x.jpg

- Documents arrival of zoo.

#3 1961
82ed.jpg

- Post 1960, Pre Chairlifts

#4 1963
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/4767/a0g1.jpg
- Arrival of Chairlifts

#5 1965
kw27.jpg

- Post closure of Main line railway station (Jan 1965)

#6 1967
t5n3.jpg

- Sealions are the new attraction

#7 - 1970
4bpb.jpg

Dust Jacket
5i94.jpg

W/Out dust jacket

#8 - Between 1973 - 1980
q5rd.jpg

As I said, these are all estimates and if anyone could help me with any further information, I will be very grateful.

Regards,

Ben

That looks like a decent effort to be honest. If it helps at all a couple of my guide's have got the date of the visit written (by the original owner) and the attractions ticked off that they had visited.

The red guide has been dated 1964.

The last one on the list (Between 1973 - 1980) is dated 01.08.78.

Like you say, a lot of these were probably used over 2 or 3 years at a time, and also some had other souvenir guides etc running along side them too, especially in the seventies.

Awesome, thank you. Looking at the pattern it seems that each guidebook was used for two years before being replaced...1959, 1961, 1963, 1965, 1967...which could make the blue one (with white sleeve) 1969/1970. However I am well aware that times were beginning to change in the early seventies so it could well have changed the sequence.

Ben