• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Old monorail mural + bit of work before Charlie construction etc

BarryZola

TS Member
I remember a couple of people asking if anyone had pics/footage of the old mural in the monorail station near the car park a while ago. I was going through some stuff last night and realized that I'd recorded this on a trip with some mates around 2005 (It's a good job I'm into History so try to anticipate this stuff). Also features some stuff before the Charlie attraction was constructed and some stuff with Henry Hound.

You can watch in full screen quite comfortably but understandably my camcorder in 2005 wasn't as good as it is now and I also probably lost some quality in editing. Anyway, it's there if you want to view it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4BBeaoIkTY

I never knew it was so detailed as I have only ever seen one or two photos. However im not sure it would fit in now, certainly not to their current style. Something like they have in towers trading behind the tills would look nice in the monorail station, and would add a bit of colour.

Even if it didn't fit the current brand I think it's a tragedy they were allowed to simply paint over this. It's a beautifully detailed piece of work, which must have taken days to complete! Even if it doesn't fit it's a damn sight better than the filthy whitewashed wall in it's place now, with that pathetic "map" on it.

The sooner both stations are given a make over to make them less grotty the better. Neither really send out a great first impression of the park, with their dim lighting, dank interior, whitewash paintjob, and broken monitors ???

It is almost absurd that they just painted over it.

"Let's actively remove magic and make the Monorail station as much like a Nuclear shelter as possible"

In truth, both Monorail stations and their queues have been unfit for purpose and horrible ways to start/end your day for YEARS now. I think Alton Towers management would accept this but presumably cannot justify spending money on it.

To this day I am literally angry that they just painted over it! I know it was no Sistine chapel, but it was as much a part of the parks history anything else. Though could of put cladding over the top of it, or updated it somehow.

I think a modern interpretation of it would be nice, with the towers and bits of the rides and what not, just to build the anticipation for the guests as they wait to get into the park. Both stations now are so bare and sterile it's not the best first impression for the resort, more so given the upgraded trains in recent years.

They need to be less like a hospital corridor and more of a continuation of the resort adventure, as you are totally removed from the otherwise enclosed world of Alton towers when you move from park to resort

The thing that gets me most is the fact out of all the colours in the world they chose white to paint it over. While painting it was a mistake (and a crime), getting over that fact they still could have at least painted it purple or blue - it would have been far better.

The stations currently remind of of a locally run council multi storey car park. Not an entry into the UKs leading theme park/resort.

I've probably said this elsewhere, but if the Towers ever did decide to go for something similar in even one of the stations, I'm sure that there would be a local college or Uni with Art students who would appreciate the chance to work on something like this. Only takes several students to get together and work on it in sections possibly to create an updated version. Remember how they had a local school/college design the new window in the chapel? Obviously the work would have to be up to standard as the resort has an image to uphold, but there are some really talented art students out there who I'm sure could do it justice.

Well, if you think you know of a group of people who would have the desire and artistic ability to carry it out to a high standard, why not get in touch with the relevant people (The Towers) with a proposal? The idea's for the artwork would not be a problem obviously. Maybe it could be a TST inspired and carried through project ;)

I'm no artist though, although I would be happy to add to any Idea's for subjects to be included :)

It's not like an Alton Towers forum hasn't made a relevant contribution to the park in the past in some small ways.

Another point from that video, Henry Hound needs to return! The park needs a recognisable mascot, he is perfect! Failing that Alton Bear needs to return.

:)

Wasn't he owned by John Broom and AT had to buy the rights to use Henry Hound off him? I know he did make a return but it was only really brief. In all honesty, I believe that the park don't care about a mascot. They could have easily stuck with Sir Algernon, Lucy and Snorlix, but alas they were banished and replaced with a show that only lasted one year. Yup thats forwards planning for you!

John Broome did own the rights to Henry Hound but when he sold to Tussauds he also sold the rights to Henry with it. When John Broome brought The American Adventure he had a Henry Hound costume made by John Brooking who made all the original Henry Hound costumes and all the original costume characters for Alton Towers. The Henry Hound for American Adventure he had a blue T Shirt on with the wording
The American Adventures Henry. But Alton found out this and because a costume license lasts for 10 years john broome had to have a different head made for the costume and called him Berty. I know this i as i have known John Brooking since he started working for alton towers. And over the years i even got to purchase lots of the original costume character costumes. Way back in 1994 the year they got rid of Henry at the end of the 1993 season they always made 3 of each costume ready for the following season. And in Henrys case lots more as he was needed for all three shows the parade and for street theatre. So in 1994 there was brand new costumes but they were never used other than in house corporate events. And it took myself till 1996 going on and on to John Brooking who eventually let me buy a full brand new Henry Hound costume the 1 in Red Dungarees with i keep with pride. I'm staying at the hotel on the 30th to the 31st and i would love to take him and say its the ghost of Henry just to have his photo taken in the hotel. Going back to to 2005 version of Henry it was a totally new costume and had no movement in the head and the body was made for a much bigger person. Henry Hound was always 5foot 4 tall or under as it made him much cuter.The new version of Henry was nearly 6 foot and not half as cute. Anyway i've gone on and on. I don't know all the ins and outs of the rides but when it comes to the Characters and Shows thats my interest and my collection.If you look at the towers times site sorry to mention it but nearly all the photos of the characters and shows are mine.And if any one on the site is interested in any of the shows from 1988 to around 2001 i have every show. Even the halloween show that was staged outside the Haunted House plus all the other halloween shows the 1 on the piazza stage and the halloween ice shows. I lost interest not long after this as Alton started to cut down on shows and the characters.

I still think its a shame that Henry never made a reappearance during the 30th birthday year would of been a really nice nod to the past to at least have him make an appearance. I still just about remember watching Henry in the parade back in the dearly 90s stood outside the sky ride station in fountain square

Hi yes he should have been involved he was at Alton Towers from 1987 to 1993 then 2005 but never has a character been so linked to the towers. What other characters have had books by ladybird wrote about them 'had coke cola brand them. And the merchandise goes on forever' even carpet was sold with him on it.Even cannon video's uesd him in there 1993 adverts for there cameras.He was on every piece of food item sold on park all the staff badges had him on them 'every ride had his height chart on them.And he had just about every outfit you could think of. As highway man henry he rode a real horse in 1 years parade' i could go on and on ' but yes i think he should have featured in the 30th anniversary. Don't i ramble on but he was great.1 last thing did you know he had a son junior and the costume staffs childlen would don the costume whenever possible.

This is the first time I have ever seen that piece of artwork and my god that is absolutely beautiful! Who's stupid idea was it to get rid of that?! Even with a bin in the middle of it, that looks stunning! Especially that last wall with the silhouetted towers and the fireworks! Thank you very much for the video, this really is something! And to think they just painted over it in white :( WHY!? >.> So you can see the dirt stains and mouldy water marks? :(
Why was there any need to even get rid of it? So everything can conform and all look unified and the same? Ridiculous. At least they had these little touches that made everything seem worthwhile :/

Still not as good as the fantabulous magical bins featured in the magic factory, the ones that inexplicably played the toy land tours music in the middle of Forbidden Valley... Despite none of said musical bins ever appearing on park in real life!!

Oh, the mural! I feel slightly infuriated every time I'm reminded of it. These days it's all about profit and getting guests to spend, spend, spend. I really do miss the days were it was about creating a magical experience.

What do we have instead of the mural, now? A huge monstrosity of a map screaming 'eat here, spend your money here', TV screens yelling 'look how much it costs to come back to us, line our pockets again', and car park machines crying 'you're on our land, you will have to pay to get off'. All that's before you're locked in to a train and forced to listen about what else you can spend your money on.

As others have said, earlier in the topic, shouldn't it be about creating a magical journey that's consistent with the 'magical day' that they want guests to have? I understand that they are a buisness and they want to make money but, they should take the thoughts of the consumer into consideration. I'm sure people would feel much happier to spend money on park if they'd been brought in to the park by a magical train, with a bright, happy, decorated station. At the moment, queing in that monorail station is a little soul destroying.

Bring back the mural!