• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Opening day TR

GaryH

TS Member
Just back from a FANTABULOUS weekend at the AT resort! Spent two days on park and two nights in the hotels (ATH then Splash).

So lets start with Friday night in ATH. Entertainment, as per usual , pretty bad, with the two male singers on the ship Hotel was very, very quiet however , surprisingly so. Had a peek at some of the new corridors and they are looking good.

Saturday, up early and into the park. Staff did the obligatory opening day count down from 10 then everyone was let in. ERT we opted for Oblivion, mist was working, cars still looking somewhat tatty (some of them) but its a great wake up ride. Park wasnt too busy all day and most rides about 25 min queue, except Thirteen which had tech problems with one car all day so had a 2 hour queue at one point, and Smiler which was 2 hours in the morning, and down to about 40 in the afternoon.

Hex was looking good inside, noticed some new (I think) UV paintings in the Octagon which can only be seen in the dark section of the pre show. Think they have added some flickering candles inside the ride as well - though I may be wrong. Duel was also looking ok, with everything seemingly working, including the tunnel and everything in the pre-show.

Ate in Burger Kitchen which was the downpoint of the day. Food was ok, but the queues! They had about 8 tills open, huge queues, and staff on the tills were taking 2 orders at a time, then waiting for 2 or 3 members of staff who were the runners to collect the drinks and food and bring it to the tills.

This resulted in very long waits (30 minutes), though im not sure how they could do it better, they need more slots between the tills and the kitchen to collect the food orders from I think.

Anyway, got on everything more than once and had a great day. Nightime was spent in ATH again, Secret Garden for food which was very nice, and entertainment the same as last night. There were 4 large hen parties in the hotel however, which took up most of the seating (not enough), and only bar was open in ATH despite the hotels being full, with long queues leading out the entrance of the Dragon bar. Why oh why do they do this? They have 2 bars, use them!

Anyway, some of the hen parties got a bit rowdy now and then, which left some families with small kids looking at them with some concern! Some of the groups were >20 girls. Dont get me wrong, im not complaining about large groups of very attractive females in one place, just not sure AT hotel is the "place".

They need more seating in Dragon bar as well, its a pity they have got rid of so much of the seating that was there before.

I had been told the music sounded a bit "off" (more than usual) that evening as they had turned off the bass due to complaints from nearby rooms!

About 11 we headed to Splash and sat in the bar there until 2am. The bar was pretty busy again due to the parties taking place, and to be fair, it was a good laugh I spent the second night in Splash and had a nice room (1439) on the top floor overlooking the empty waterpark outside. Empty as in no water in the pools, they were painting them blue again.

Next morning brekkie in ATH, nom nom and back in to the park. Walked through the hotels through Splash to find someone had puked in the small area between the two sets of double doors linking ATH and Splash, just before the waterpark. No doubt, one of the hen parties, and it stank. Another reason why AT shouldnt really be attracting such large groups of single sex parties - its not really a hen party destination I dont think - there is nothing really to do in the evenings, and having groups of drunken loud people around small children can spoil the family atmosphere for them. Puking at the entrance to the waterpark just adds to this, and from what I understand from friends staying in ATH, the room parties for the hen's staying in ATH had quite a few people in the rooms until the very early hours.

Anyway, second day on park, even quieter than Saturday, no queues for mostly everything, only thing that had a queue really was Smiler, which was 80 minutes (advertised).

Overall, it was a great weekend, the park looked good, had a nice feel to it and all the staff were excellent. Food in the hotels was also excellent, drinks still priced cheaper than some pubs I can think of and, well, I guess the company also helps.

Surprised I didnt bump in to anyone I recognised from TS though.

Good trip report. My only comment is about the ladies on their hen night. Do bare in mind that I'm sure members off TST (and I know for certain in the past on TTF) have had nights where individuals have ended up a little worse for wear haha ;) . Not sure how you would combat large groups/parties though.

Or Alton Towers could market a special VIP Hen or Stag party with a seperate bar/room for them in the Emporors suite with "suitible" entertainment. Could even be combined with a visit to the spa to "recover" on the next day?

Yeah they could - only thing is they would need to possibly seperate where the rooms are, because there was a lot of noise apparently in the early hours from them walking back to their rooms and then subsequently continuing their celebrations in their rooms. Hardly fair on families above/below and next to them.

I haven't stayed in the ATH for years, and it was my first time in Splash this weekend. For some reason I've always become ill when staying in the ATH and Splash was no exception.

I may get round to writing a report as my stay was particularly unimpressive - but the NOISE is TERRIBLE. The walls seem thinner than student halls! There wasn't any real peace til about 4am and by that point I'd gone to sit in the lobby as I'd been so unwell and was keeping my roommate awake :(

Other than that the trip was brilliant as always! And I mean that in a non-sarcastic way, the thought of theme parks can make the most ill and sleep deprived person feel human again :)

I must have been lucky with my room then as I was in 1439 on the top floor overlooking the waterpark and it was silent all night. I think in ATH and Splash, unless you stay on the top floor, your doomed from all the kids in the rooms above you!

GaryH said:
Walked through the hotels through Splash to find someone had puked in the small area between the two sets of double doors linking ATH and Splash, just before the waterpark.

Obviously Thankfully this had been cleaned when I stayed last Monday, though there is now a nice stain left where it happened! Did have a giggle to myself that I knew exactly what had caused it! No one has secrets with this forum spotting/reporting everything :D