• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Opening Hours cut

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
From TS News, today:

Alton Towers operating calendar has been edited over the past few days to reflect reduced hours during the summer period. The theme park has often closed earlier this season compared to recent years, as a combination of poor weather and increased financial pressures have taken hold.

In recent years, the park has remained open until 7:00pm during the school summer holiday period, typically from mid/late July to the start of September. However, when the park hours were released for 2012 earlier this year, the resort made the decision to cut this to 6:00pm. However, this has now been edited further - with the first week of the school break showing mostly 5:00pm ride closes. Only August now is showing as 6:00pm ride close.

A 5:00pm ride close is typical of a quiet day - and with queues in recent weeks frequently reaching up to 1 hour for some of the more popular rides and attractions, it remains to be seen whether this has a negative impact on the guest experience at the theme park. Beyond the summer holidays, the park will close at 4:00pm on the majority of days through September and October - with exception to Scarefest which will remain at 9:00pm.

UK theme parks have traditionally closed considerably earlier than theme parks on the continent - many of which close well into the evening. Merlin Entertainments' Italian theme park, Gardaland, will close at 11:00pm daily through the July and August holiday period - giving guests up to 6 hours longer to experience the park when compared to Alton Towers. Thorpe Park and Legoland, two of Merlins other UK theme parks, will both close at 7:00pm during the same period. Pleasure Beach Blackpool, another of the UK's biggest parks, will close at 8:00pm during the summer. All of these other UK theme parks attract less guests annually than Alton Towers.

These developments further underline the financial difficulties which are being experienced by Alton Towers this year - with many other cuts having been trialled and/or reversed since March.

What do you make of these cuts?

It's a real real shame that these cuts are necessary, and I will really miss 7pm closes at the height of summer (though moving it to 6pm won't have absolutely major impacts on guests' days...) so I guess it's the lesser of two evils; I'd rather see this than reduced hours on individual rides, and the money's got to be saved somewhere!

I just really hope this doesn't prompt people to go and write a load of complaint on the AT Facebook again, as while everyone has the right to express their opinion of course, it only acts as really bad PR, loses the park MORE money and thus makes the issues that these cuts are trying to tackle even worse...

Big sympathy for the staff though :(

So they have basically gone back to the start of all this... And the cuts have gone full circle. I feel sorry for the staff losing out on vital hours and I'm worried as to why the supposed jewel of Merlin's theme park crown is having to close earlier than everywhere else that they own.

If Thorpe can still close at 7 and Gardaland can close at 11 then why can't Towers be safe from these shortened hours?

EDIT: I understand Gardaland needs to close late to compete across Europe, but that's why the lack of competition here is crushing the industry... If all the Merlin parks shut early then there's no competition over closing hours (though it's unfair that Towers don't close at the same time as Lego and Thorpe).

This is very ridiculous!

Why can't they make some other cuts across their European and Worldwide parks so that the UK parks, especially Alton, aren't affected as much?

It's not fair that you can have one park closing at 11pm, whereas another closes at 6pm!

Is it just me who thinks that it is time for another letter?

To be honest. I am quite neutral on this one, yes we don't get longer hours but at least we get 7pm at August. Most of Alton's competition have similar hours anyway except for BPB. Although if the Instant Escapes Week tells us anything, it's that they want lots more summer guests. And a 5/6pm ride time isn't going to deliver that on those long hot evenings.

Longy said:
It's not fair that you can have one park closing at 11pm, whereas another closes at 6pm!

Is it just me who thinks that it is time for another letter?

You have to remember that Lake Garda is also a more busier tourist place so more would visit for longer as it's a larger area than Alton. Also the weather is nicer and more consistent for later hours and the Italian's culture involves staying out late and maybe eating after anyway.

I don't think it's time for another letter, possibly if yet another u-turn happens. But I highly doubt it as this is the only sensible cut that not all guests would notice.

I'm saddened as a enthusiast but not enough to complain. I do not see light at the end of the tunnel for more cuts, we're all feeling the rescession and so are Towers. So we should just keep calm (accept it) and carry on.

As I said last time, I've given up complaining to or caring about Towers now. They are a joke of a park.

Stelios said:
To be honest. I am quite neutral on this one, yes we don't get longer hours but at least we get 7pm at August. Most of Alton's competition have similar hours anyway except for BPB.
We don't get 7pm at all. Thorpe does. Legoland does. We get 6pm...

Also, the reason the competition have similar hours? Because the competition is owned by Merlin... The reason only BPP is different is because they aren't owned by Merlin! I just wish Merlin would trial opening later instead of trial closing earlier...

So we should just keep calm (accept it) and carry on.
I think that's the opposite to what we should be doing tbh!

I can remember when Chessie used to be open till 9pm in the summer. Then Merlin came along......

kaneClap.gif

Bravo Merlin. Bravo. I'll be enjoying my summer visits on the PMBO at 8pm whilst Towers has packed up and gone to sleep for the night.

Oh, Merlin. When will you ever learn? ::)

Seeing as I'm a considerable distance away from Towers (getting there and back in a day is just about feasible, but I wouldn't recommend it), I want to make as much of the time I have there as possible, so longer opening hours are very important for me. When I went in June last year, ride close was at 6pm, which was completely fine. Now that closure is something more like 4pm or 5pm on most days, I find that to be doing customers a great disservice, and they will almost definitely not be able to do all they want to do in one day. Before these reduced opening hours were made, I was only going to be making one or two more visits to Alton Towers this year. Now, it's looking like I will only be making one more visit, which will be at the end of the season. If any more cuts such as this are made, I might even change that and not bother going until 2013.

Merlin, you disappoint me. Sort it out.

So, to clarify, exactly how many days have had their opening hours reduced? From the article it sounds like it's between 5 and 7 - which would be a shame for anyone visiting on those dates but not something to from a lynch mob over.

Still, I feel Towers should be open until 6pm at an absolute minimum every weekend and school holiday, with pretty much all Saturdays 7pm or later, even if the park has to "wind down" operations from early evening by closing stalls, selected food/retail outlets and reducing ride capacity as people inevitably leave earlier (as has been seen in previous years with 7pm ride closes).

This is not too surprising the reversal of the other cuts. I think we just have to accept this year that cuts do need to me made, whether we like it or not. I've accepted this now and I'm not too concerned by this one compared to some of the others.

Remember, this latest cut is not cutting 7pm ride closes, that was done earlier in the year. It is a period in July that has gone from 6pm to 5pm by the looks of it with August remaining at 6pm like originally stated. There are still 6pm ride closes at the very end of July and the weekend and a few in the middle of July, with other 5.30pm ride closes dotted around the place.

So on the whole this isn't too bad at all in my opinion, much better than having rides opening at 11am or closing the Skyride.

:)

Rob said:
I think we just have to accept this year that cuts do need to me made, whether we like it or not. I've accepted this now and I'm not too concerned by this one compared to some of the others.
I think we all appreciate that cuts clearly need to be made. However it is the fact that this has directly affected an already cutdown opening schedule that is slightly worrying. It is also unfair that opening times are not in line with the other Merlin parks (in fact I'd be interested to see what cuts Garda and Heide have incurred this year?).

It's also worrying because whilst we are forced to accept it this year, what's stopping it continuing or getting worse next year? Also, the negative effect of these cuts could cause low attendance next year - something the park does not want when a huge new investment will be opening.

(I'm not ranting at your post BTW, it just spurred me into a more general rant at the cuts :) )

It seems to me that they are seriously struggling to find the balance of keeping guests happy and make the necessary cuts to save money. The big guys who own Merlin obviously still want their money to keep pouring in, but the parks are experiencing fewer guests who are also buying less merchandise. To add to their woes, costs have gone up meaning that the little money they do have to play with isn't going as far.

The solution as far as I can see is for the big guys to take a cut in all the bonuses and stuff they get. All the loans given to Merlin should be reworked to allow Merlin more time to pay it back. The thing is, almost none of these will ever happen. The investors want their money back ASAP and will keep on driving forwards these budget cuts so that they keep getting their money. Its the same in any large business, its the basic staff/shop floor workers who feel the pinch when there is a budget cut, not the investors!

Guys - please ensure all posts are constructive, rather than just random sarcastic images etc.

I feel for the staff more than anything.

There were meant to be some 6:00pm's this week, too - but they have also been cut back. In fact, has there even been a 6:00pm so far this year? 1 possibly? Usually by this point there has been loads!!!

I do pity AT a little here - Thorpe and Legoland get less guests than Alton, yet are able to open till 7.

:)

I won't deny now this is annoying. How can Alton close an hour earlier than Thorpe despite being more inaccessible, larger and more difficult to get around quickly? And Gardaland 11pm closes?! How on earth is that even conceivable? How are they able to operate parks in the summer until 11pm in Europe but not here? I thought Merlin as an entity were suffering, and so surely the burden of the problems should be shared amongst all of their attractions? Why should AT suffer so much - 4pm in September is simply embarrassing let alone one hour less at the peak of summer. :-\

I said this on Facebook, and I'll echo it here.

295306_10151879784060584_2074479799_n.jpg

If a park a fraction of the size of Alton, with all their attractions close together, residential housing only a couple of metres from one side of the park, and not owned by a huge international company second only to Disney can do this with their hours why can't Towers?

Merlin need to open their eyes and face the fact that their penny pinching schemes don't work, and are in fact doing more damage than they are good ???

DiogoJ42 said:
I can remember when Chessie used to be open till 9pm in the summer. Then Merlin came along......

The hell? When was this, because the park was definitely not open that late in the last decade, if you wanna blame Merlin for stuff, blame them on the stuff that is ACTUALLY their fault?

Like this... Then again, one cut comes in, gets rejected cos it's awful, and another comes in... It's a worrying cycle tbh, and it's going to be more off-putting to new guests really if such things keep coming into play...

I dunno, it's the UK market that seems to be the issue to them atm... Any idea what Heide is dealing with for cuts? Maybe the UK isn't just bringing in the money to the company anymore because of the high cost of entry and what not...

Unless something changes soon, I sense the problems are gonna continue...