• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park & Ride

ScottishChris

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Legend
I have been working a couple of nightshifts recently - so have had way too much time to think about random stuff. What I got thinking about was an Alton Towers Park and Ride similar to Disney's TTC.

We know that one of the biggest issues with AT and future development is the local community (you can understand their feelings wen tens of thousands of cars rock through their village every day in the summer). So I was thinking why Merlin haven't looked at building a Park & Ride (connected by bus or light rail) down by the A50? This would take pressure off the local roads, and hopefully help convince the local community to support future developments. It would only be 10k away, so about a 10 minute bus ride, or less if utilising light rail.

This would have a second benefit - it would free up the car parks for future development (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the car parks are generous in terms of planning consent). Perhaps even creating a second gate turning AT into a true multi-day attraction.

Maybe it is the lack of sleep - but it seems to sensible to me.

Since they've decided a decent bus service isn't feasible, a park and ride which will cost more to run and encourage more to take public transport (less parking fees) seems unlikely.

It's a nice idea and I'm sure it is something that has been considered at some point in the past. However it would cost an absolute fortune to build and run (assuming that you're not just going to send a load of buses down the existing narrow roads). So I can't see it ever happening.

I think the only way you could do it for a reasonable cost would be to run a fleet of buses from... somewhere with an already existing massive car park - I still don't really see it as being all that practical as the distance involved would probably be substantial which means you need loads of buses (and drivers). Also, as anyone who's ever used a bus service to towers will know, trying to get two buses to pass each other on local roads is a nightmare. Having lots of them could lead to worse traffic chaos than they have now.

The only change we'll realistically see to the current arrangement is some relatively minor steps to make the meadows (M & N) more convenient to use on a semi-regular basis to allow them to develop car parks G & H

I'm in favour of this if it drops you off at the main entrance. One of the things that pees me off at Towers, is arriving at 9.30 am, driving half a mile past the main entrance, parking, and then walking (or taking the monorail) back in the opposite direction to arrive at the main entrance about half an hour after i've driven past it.

Add up going home as well and that's an hour wasted.

I'm in favour of this if it drops you off at the main entrance. One of the things that pees me off at Towers, is arriving at 9.30 am, driving half a mile past the main entrance, parking, and then walking (or taking the monorail) back in the opposite direction to arrive at the main entrance about half an hour after i've driven past it.

Add up going home as well and that's an hour wasted.
It would mean the loss of express parking though.

Why would express go?
And that is why we use express, an extra hour on the park and a quality picnic.

Cos if they somehow moved all the parking to the front of the park, or built an entrance at the back, it would all be close to the entrance so theres no difference in express and normal parking.

Sorry not meaning to be rude but I am wondering, why would you buy express? Just arrive a bit earlier. We always got there for opening. Seems like a lot of extra money when it's only a 15 minute walk or so

When you have been happily married for thirty years, there is no get up early button on a rest day outing plan.
Re-read mikw's post above.
Express parking saves an hour, getting there early from ninety miles away, via the M6, in the rush hour, would mean setting off at 6am, and the journey would take a full hour longer. Not on a fun day off.
The high quality picnic, with decent alcohol at 25% of the park cost, sat on the stones, in the shade of the huge tree, has been bliss for many years.
And covers the extra tenners cost easily.
And I have my very own smoking bench.
And I have two bad knees, the extra half hours walk over the day when the monorail service is so poor compared to what it used to be, is the other reason.

You are all under thinking this... Haha

The Parking and Ticketing site would be a venue in itself (think downtown Disney). Sops and entertainment venues that would be open year round. A new budget (ala Disney all star resort) hotel will be built. A light rail system (think autonomous DLR style) would then whisk you to the parks in around 5 minutes. Stopping at the water park, the theme parks and hotels.

The space freed up by the parking area would become a dedicated park aimed at the family market (a Chessington/ Paultons type place).

Express parking onsite will still be available, but at a heightened cost.

The agreement to build the park and ride facility will be negotiated to include a relax in planning regulation - because locals are so happy about the reduction of congestion.

It is amazing what goes through your mind when sat in an office by yourself at 3am!

Park and ride should be offered to guests who are staying in the hotel. I will not be happy paying £6+ to park by the A50 and wait for buses at the start and end of the day when you got a moaning wife and kids saying I’m bored