• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

If Liz Truss is the answer I don't want to know the question.

Given the other potentials for the role though... Still doesn't bode well. I'm half expecting Johnson to swoop back into the role by year end after the cost of living crisis ramps up.

Well … that has to be one of the worst acceptance speeches I have ever heard in my life.

And I agree regarding hung Parliament next time around!

Boris was good at speaking but was by most accounts a bad PM.
She may be even worse, she may not, at least give her a chance.

Nah, taint through association of being involved in the previous cabinets and out of her depth there, let alone the top job in UK politics.

She'll get her chance, 2 years at least in fact. I find it depressing that the best you seem to be hoping for is not being as bad as Boris.

We have to go by what she's promised the old and wealthy white men who majorityly make up the Tory party membership to judge her at the moment. She'll either not turn out as bad as predicted and thus is a liar like her predecessor. Or what she's told Tory members is true and she really is an Tesco Value Thatcher with all the nastiness that comes with it.

For the first time in decades, I'm sadly inclined to actually believe what this new Tory leader says. And that's worrying. Very worrying.

I am proud to say that my sister's partner helped to build the very removal truck that shifted the twit Johnson out of office.
The nice shiny silver/platinum one.
Still singing his own praise as he is kicked out of office in disgrace.
Bye Bye Boris.

She'll get her chance, 2 years at least in fact. I find it depressing that the best you seem to be hoping for is not being as bad as Boris.

We have to go by what she's promised the old and wealthy white men who majorityly make up the Tory party membership to judge her at the moment. She'll either not turn out as bad as predicted and thus is a liar like her predecessor. Or what she's told Tory members is true and she really is an Tesco Value Thatcher with all the nastiness that comes with it.

For the first time in decades, I'm sadly inclined to actually believe what this new Tory leader says. And that's worrying. Very worrying.
That’s not what I said at all about not being as bad a Johnson, what I said was at least give her a chance.

It’s strange this view of the Tory party as rich, old white men as non of the candidates for leadership where whereas the leader of the Labour Party.🤔

That’s not what I said at all about not being as bad a Johnson, what I said was at least give her a chance.

It’s strange this view of the Tory party as rich, old white men as non of the candidates for leadership where whereas the leader of the Labour Party.🤔

He literally said the party MEMBERSHIP are made up of a majority of rich old white men. Which when you look at the conferences and what not, isn't far off the truth.

Starmer is also a rich white man, but that's some good old whataboutery right there. The make up of all political party memberships tend to be full of rich white men because they have the capability to pay the fees and have the vested interest to stay rich through politics. Its a problem generally in UK politics and not helped by the likes of Sunak and Patel getting big jobs and either screwing themselves over or being a generally awful human being (though Braverman coming in as rumoured Home Sec could be worse than Patel).

To be accurate we can say that the current Tory cabinet make up is full of rich idiots.

JRM who has described current labour laws as something that hold the economy back and as an "opportunity of Brexit" and has made reference to "climate alarmists" - now has the authority to - change labour laws and energy strategy. Nice one Liz, nice one.

I think there's more fear now than there was when that walking car crash BJ was still steering the country up onto pavements and into parked cars. Now Truss has the car keys, she seems to have got the credit cards and cleared the savings account out, stuffed it all in her handbag and driven us all to Vegas to put it all on Black.

Reactions: Vik
The i are reporting that the annual British Social Attitudes survey has shown more people want a form of proportional representation rather than the First Past The Post electoral system for the first time since records began.

Some 51 per cent of people are in favour of switching to a form of proportional representation (PR), while 44 per cent want the status quo, the annual British Social Attitudes survey has revealed.

The figures are a near-reversal of public opinion just five years ago, when 49 per cent wanted to keep the way governments in Westminster are elected, and 43 per cent wanted electoral reform.

It's thought the shift in opinion is mostly amongst Labour supporters.

The survey also showed more people now favoured Scottish independence (52%) than to remain part of the UK, and support for Northern Irish independence was up to 30% (from 14% in 2015).

From: https://mobile.twitter.com/theipaper/status/1572879484440969216

It won’t change, the only MP’s that would vote for it work for minority parties.
Labour and the Tories would never vote for any form of PR as it would reduce their seats in parliament and neither would be likely to be able to govern on their own ever again.

Reactions: Tom