• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Past Christian attraction?

marky.com

TS Member
Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but can anyone recall some sort of Christian attraction at AT in the late 90s/early 00s? I have a very vague recollection of something and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on whether I'm imagining it and God himself is trying to convert me - or whether it actually happened?

It did actually happen - it was something called the 'Ultimate Event', and involved a day on the park followed by a concert in the evening, with the stage located in (I think) the car parks around the back of Air. The stage location may have changed over the years, but I know that it was on the car parks at least once. I never went (despite having gone to church all my life), but it's something I would genuinely have considered going to if I didn't live so far away.

EDIT: After others have posted, I'm not sure whether my information is what you're looking for, but it may help. :)

You might be thinking of Crux, which ran in the Chapel in 2003-2004.

I believe it was some kind of art installation, where people recorded memories/feelings and then these were played back on white boxy kinda things.

lemiracledemaude.jpg

?

Squiggs said:
You might be thinking of Crux, which ran in the Chapel in 2003-2004.

I believe it was some kind of art installation, where people recorded memories/feelings and then these were played back on white boxy kinda things.

That was the one - cheers! I knew I recalled something real!

I accidentally wandered into that Crux thing in 2004. It was rubbish. Not because I'm an atheist, it was just a rubbish exhibition that didn't actually teach you anything.

I never went in crux... I just assumed it was a crushed ice based drink cafe... No idea why...

But well, time makes fools of us all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Crux was quite strange and I don't entirely understand why it was there or what kind of a message it was giving in the Chapel. All I remember walking in on a whim, seeing lit up displays and projections on the floor but nothing else.

I was for some reason forced to visit Crux by my parents during a BT weekend back in 2003, and can just remember being quite frankly bored and confused as to why I wasn't on any rides. (And this is from someone who was in a CofE Cathedral Boys Choir at the time!)

Whilst it was better than an empty space, it just didn't really cater for a modern theme park audience or enthusiasts in any form.

The aim of Crux was to teach people about Christianity via interactive elements.

Clearly it did not work. :p

Its ironic really how it inhabited what is already a beautiful christian chapel, and then covered it in white glowing boxes spoiling the christian architectures effects and relied on dodgy gimmicks. They would have had better results with pamphlets being handed out, not like that's not been done before.

Been thinking about this for about an hour I seem to recall one on the car park behind air about 2 years ago but not to sure if it got canceled

There was indeed a Christian concert at Alton Towers on the Air carpark, though I'm not sure if it was a one off or a recurring event?

The Crux was BARELY memorable for me - I remember once sticking my head around the chapel entrance and being bemused to what was going on, then leaving!

Religion isn't usually high on the agenda for theme park visitors I shouldn't think, so sticking this particular concession far out of the way was never going to make it popular!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I do have a feeling that the Christian concert on the Air car park was a recurring event.

I have heard odd bits about Crux, and it just baffles and intrigues me more! Does anyone know of any images or descriptions floating around on the interwebs? :)

Crux sounds like a really sinister name to me though, especially for a religious exhibition! Crux and Hex. What a pair! :p

Ian said:
Crux sounds like a really sinister name to me though, especially for a religious exhibition!

Believe me when I say Crux was about as sinister as a Duplo playset :p It was alright but genuinely had little significance to what was actually there. The space in the chapel could have so much more done if the park tried though it could've just been an outside exhibition kind of thing.

I believe the park are very limited to what they can actually do with the chapel. No doubt like with the rest of the Towers installations Crux was a temporary installation which was to be able to be removed and leave no trace behind :)

I remember this too, walked in, there just seemed to be some static displays and an awkward staff member (presumably not an alton towers employee?) who told us if we were looking for toilets they were at fountain square.

Walked out, completely baffled.

Jonathan said:
I do have a feeling that the Christian concert on the Air car park was a recurring event.

I'm sure it was just a one-off. I remember the event being advertised years ago, but haven't heard anything about other ones since. It seemed really weird anyway, the whole thing seemed to be advertised on being the "Best of British", then 'Christian' would be hidden away. I can bet at least quite a few people would have attended not believing it was all about Jesus.

AshleeKel said:
Jonathan said:

I'm sure it was just a one-off. I remember the event being advertised years ago, but haven't heard anything about other ones since. It seemed really weird anyway, the whole thing seemed to be advertised on being the "Best of British", then 'Christian' would be hidden away. I can bet at least quite a few people would have attended not believing it was all about Jesus.

It was called the Ultimate Event and happened yearly in May. I went to the one in 2009, which I believe was the last one. You needed seperate tickets for the concert. You had a day on park and then there was a gate next to Air that you went through at 4pm if you had tickets for the concert. I don't know how many years it ran for, but it wasn't a one off.