• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

People rubbishing Wickerman as inferior to ICON

Dogdangling

TS Member
Anyone else fed up with youtubers and folk in general basically saying how Wickerman is basically 2nd rate to ICON and constantly comparing them. It seems the normal thing to do nowadays to purposely look for faults and scoring things out of 10.

What ever happened to the thought process of being positive for new things, we've had two excellent rides open within weeks of each other in the uk and both are enjoyable in different ways.

Both rides are completely different and they both are fantastic additions to their respective parks. While it's natural for people to prefer one experience over the other, I don't think it's entirely fair to directly compare them, at they were built to do very different things, and cater for different demographics. ICON is purely about the coaster itself, nothing more as it's all about the thrill aspect, whereas Wicker Man is about combining the coaster with other effects and theming to create a more immersive experience

I think Wicker Man and ICON are just too different to compare with each other. I think they are both amazing additions, and we in the UK are pretty lucky to be getting two brand new coasters in one year. So let's just enjoy them for what they are, rather than compare them with each other. :)

We seem to have reached a point where everything is a zero-sum game, something HAS to be better or worse than something else. Everything is a competition now, with people bragging about going on the better ride when other people haven't, or claiming the ride they've been on is the better one, so they can WIN and manage to manifest a modicum of reason to live

We seem to have reached a point where everything is a zero-sum game, something HAS to be better or worse than something else. Everything is a competition now, with people bragging about going on the better ride when other people haven't, or claiming the ride they've been on is the better one, so they can WIN and manage to manifest a modicum of reason to live

Couldn’t agree more, there is a constant comparison being made by various channels now. I like to think we remain fairly reasonable and impartial with these things though.

But generally speaking the trend goes, the newest is the best!! Give it s few weeks and the Icon Hype Express will have slowed and we should get some more balanced views!

They're two completely different rides targeting different markets, so how you even begin to compare the two on the same level is beyond me.

It's all too subjective to be taken seriously, especially when it's the newer ride getting all the praise.

I remember when Rita first opened, some of my friends said it was the best ride on the park and were surprised when I laughed at them for doing so.

People spend too much time focusing on what people like Shawn Sandbrook and Robb Alvey think instead of judging for themselves.

^I think most of the people saying this have actually ridden both rides.

In one sense the rides are nothing alike so comparisons are difficult.

On the other hand......

come on ;), Icon is so much better than Wicker Man, it's not even close haha :p

I judge a coaster based off how big the smile is on my face returning to the station, there was no comparison in this instance.

Two UK parks are opening major coasters in the same year, comparisons are natural and acceptable. One ride is good, the other is great, what's wrong with saying that?

I have always felt Icon was the better project, but having seen both, I now appreciate them equally in different ways.

I prefer Icon because I prefer thrilling rides, but I know people who prefer Wickerman because it's more of a family ride.

It's all down to personal preference.

Icon looks a great layout, and the type of ride is really needed in a country that seems to be still stuck in an obsession about "loop the loops" but (and I know it's been said so many times now) Wickerman makes for a great family thrill experience and fits very well in to Towers as one of their high quality projects.
That being said, people love to think in a black and white way and think there's only something worth worshiping or something worth discarding. Be more open minded people!

I'm yet to ride Icon but anticipated during construction of the two rides that Icon could & should be a UK top 5 coaster, whereas Wicker Man would be an Alton Towers top 5 coaster. Wicker Man has exceeded expectations, but they were low to begin with. I still expect to prefer Icon, but would be very surprised if it becomes my UK #1

Now I've sat and thought about it for a bit, I think for me it's not that people are proclaiming one's better than the other, it's lack of respect for other opinions. If you have a different opinion from the hivemind, you're wrong and should be shunned posthaste! Not acknowledged and debated, maybe changing minds (even your own). And most definitely not made to feel welcome when trying to enjoy the same hobby.

Coaster enthusiasm is already a fairly niche interest, that's considered a bit weird by the general public, "Why would you go all the way to Germany just for some rollercoasters? Blackpool's closer!". The last thing we need is to start creating divisions and making others feel bad for the way they choose to enjoy this hobby.

I've not ridden either yet, but I've come to early conclusion that Icon looks the better the ride FOR ME. Some people prefer Wickerman, and that's GOOD. Variety of opinion lead to parks needing to satisfy all those opinions, so we get Thirteen in the same park as Nemesis.

^I agree with this, which makes me frustrated when Alton keep slapping horror/dark themes onto family rides which alienates a good portion of their target demographic.

If Wicker Man was marketed as a family ride, which is what it is, I'm sure there would be much less fuss over this whole argument :)

Woodies are best for roughness, airtime, drops etc...

Steel are best for inversions, speed, smoothness

I do like a good woodie

There seems to be some kind of desire to compare the 2 parks and rides as if it's still 1994. The world is a much smaller place since budget airlines and the ability to view the park in a handheld box.

If both rides were adding something that wasn't already a short flight away I'd understand the "competition".

Anyone else fed up with youtubers and folk in general basically saying how Wickerman is basically 2nd rate to ICON and constantly comparing them.
It's inevitable for people to compare rides, especially new ones that people have only just experienced (I've heard the terms 'honeymoon period' and 'hype train' which I think are true).

It's actually irrelevant though as it's totally subjective. If one person prefers something then it doesn't mean I (or anyone else) will share the same viewpoint. And even if I like one more than the other, it doesn't mean I dislike the other one... they can both be good in their own way

So no, it doesn't bother me. I'll ride both Wicker Man and Icon and enjoy them for what they are :)

When Wicker Man opened "OMG THE BEST RIDE EVER".

When Icon opens "OMG THE BEST RIDE EVER".

When Swarm opened "OMG THE BEST RIDE EVER".

There's a message here. Just enjoy the rides for what they are and avoid the hype train. Icon and WM are different targets. One is themed. One isn't. One is a multi launch. One is a woodie.

Maverick tbh.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there are many people who cannot afford to take a flight here, there and everywhere.

Plus not every one is able to fly due to health conditions. I've not left the UK in the last decade due to my wife medical condition.

I've have to make do with the best that the UK has to offer.