• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

Mamba's still far better than Inferno though ;)

As a pure roller coaster theming aside i really don't think Mamba is a whole lot better. The thirst 3rd is great but then it does a whole of not very much, at least Inferno's helix's have some force to them.

Mamba is however a great example of how great theming can make a mediocre coaster into something good.

Hmmmm...maybe I`ve got to learn something here. I really thought that many of you care about theming as much as I do. That`s why I thought this thing will be so special. As an unthemed coaster, I think it would still be pretty good. But because of the theming, the sense of speed will probably be amazing. I`m not exaggerating when I say that this is the most promising coaster construction I ever followed. But I guess Taron is just what I love about coasters...

Hmmmm...maybe I`ve got to learn something here. I really thought that many of you care about theming as much as I do. That`s why I thought this thing will be so special. As an unthemed coaster, I think it would still be pretty good. But because of the theming, the sense of speed will probably be amazing. I`m not exaggerating when I say that this is the most promising coaster construction I ever followed. But I guess Taron is just what I love about coasters...

I think theming and the "ride experience" are equally important, so for instance Chiapas is amazing (though maybe not as amazing as Splash mountain) because the ride hardware is great and the theming is great. Woodan is similar as are many coasters including Nemesis and Oblivion in their prime (though their theming has been painfully neglected in the last 15 years).

Rides that are good without theming are numerous including many old Schwarzkopf coasters and there are also many mediocre coasters that are improved by theming (most things at Disney and Mamba).

Basically to get lightening in a bottle you need an amazing piece of hardware and an engrossing theme, to my mind anyway. There is a good chance this ride will achieve that, but i'm an old fart so not holding my breath until i have ridden it.

Belive me I agree with the Mamba issue. I wrote a lengthy trip report on its failings back in 2011.

But Mamba's big sin was that the layout does little of interest. This however looks interesting (I haven't watched the NoLimits video because unless it's official its hard to tell how true it will be). An interesting layout + spectacular surroundings can be a winning formula.

My view is that good theming is something that should be appreciated and can improve my view of a ride that's at least moderately good, but it can't improve an inherently rubbish coaster. The quality of the coaster itself is much more important by far.

Well said, Cheezoid old buddy. Pretty theming is great, but the ride itself is what gets me excited.

I agree with Cheese, although I don't want to. What I really want to say is that theming makes all the difference and is what I am looking for. In many cases, it's true. Like... Expedition Everest, for example. Cracking ride, cracking theming. But unfortunately for every Everest, there's a Die Vliegende Hollander. And, I am sorry, but DVH - no matter how gorgeous you are... it's just a pants layout.

Of course, parks that don't go out to be theme parks, I don't tend to find myself fussed about the fact there's no theming. Like. Cedar Point is probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite park. Why? Nothing to do with theming, of course... but it's just packed with mouthwatering rollercoasters.

On a more 'on topic' note... do we know when Phantasialand hope to open this? I could really do with knowing... there's an official meet to plan!

On a more 'on topic' note... do we know when Phantasialand hope to open this? I could really do with knowing... there's an official meet to plan!

One of the group asked guest services last week and they said they where not even guaranteeing it opening in 2016 at the moment. But think that's more just because they where badly bitten by Chiapas.

We'll have to wait for the final layout to have an idea of exactly how good this coaster could turn out to be but for me it is the most exciting new coaster in Europe since Helix. The combination of a long and hopefully interesting layout and world class theming is mouth watering.

Here are some more photos from PhantaFriends.de; I'll just post a selection of the most recent ones as there are tonnes over there:

DSC01671.thumb.jpg.5eaccf613ee2a1b847af6728e47c29df.jpg

DSC01678.thumb.jpg.ad984b4cfcea6d936763d2b9746f426e.jpg

DSC01727.thumb.jpg.72346c467282ff12823394140de05eaa.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.e3080a07aca5a5717f7b1e8d57c46ced.jpg

DSC_0094.thumb.JPG.c73bb5e16f4c9bdf5642ae8614a7dd8a.JPG

DSC01798.thumb.jpg.0b35f828075ba5bf307b66e633faee9d.jpg

EDIT:

What was that? These photos are good but you wish there was a better overview of the whole site? Well here are some aerial photos from coasterfriends.de:

372898d1437934999-201x-neuheit-taron-launch-coaster-intamin-themenbereich-klugheim-phantasialand-luft2.jpg

372899d1437935003-201x-neuheit-taron-launch-coaster-intamin-themenbereich-klugheim-phantasialand-luft3.jpg

372901d1437935011-201x-neuheit-taron-launch-coaster-intamin-themenbereich-klugheim-phantasialand-luft5.jpg

372902d1437935016-201x-neuheit-taron-launch-coaster-intamin-themenbereich-klugheim-phantasialand-luft6.jpg

:)

Last edited:
The ride looks very good in person and the whole site is massive. There is certainly a lot of track and the rock work looks very good.

The only bit I don't like at the moment is the green wall, I know it hasn't grown yet but it just looks rather odd and out of place at the moment, on one side you have the new rock work and on the other it's a themed building in the German area of the park. But hopefully that will change once the ride is complete.

That site for the coaster looks massive, can't believe how much track there is. Don't know how true it is, but I've heard rumours of a family coaster being built on that site too (don't know where though).

The ride looks very good in person and the whole site is massive. There is certainly a lot of track and the rock work looks very good.

The only bit I don't like at the moment is the green wall, I know it hasn't grown yet but it just looks rather odd and out of place at the moment, on one side you have the new rock work and on the other it's a themed building in the German area of the park. But hopefully that will change once the ride is complete.
I'm sure I read on either a German fan site or TPR that PL have said that the green wall is only temporary while the ride is being constructed!

Surely just to protect it considering it doesn't open for another 10 months or so?

This ride is looking very impressive, it doesn't look like a world beater but a very good addition to Phantasialand's current offering. I think a return to Phantasialand in 2016 will be compulsory.

I imagine the track is all wrapped up as they are building the themeing around it, if they left the track bare it would end up getting covered in dust and paint, etc.

Germany showing everyone else how its done. Again.

Loving the look of this. Both thematically and in terms of hardware, should be a blast.

Phantasialand have completely changed their website in the last few days, where it's now using the same Wordpress theme as the one Jurassic World has for their fake site.

100815phl1.jpg

Oh lord either that website is having issues or my computer does not like it at all!

Nice little video about Taron there though.