• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Premier Rides posted this on Facebook:

10308159_794319900610530_647715228793157020_n.jpg

Premier Rides said:
One of the #EAS2014 post tour highlights was the visit to @phantasialand ...check it out. Have you been to Phantasialand?

Someone commented "Maybe Premier Rides will build the new attraction in PHL" and Premier 'liked' the comment. Not that it particularly means anything, but would anyone be surprised at the new ride shaping up something like Revenge of the Mummy...?

I too am wholly expecting something Mummy-esque, and a lot of the fans have been asking for something of that sort. I'm fairly sure that they will be looking at a more thrill based dark ride of some description.

The Western Town area seems the perfect site for such an attraction, and the Mystery theme could make for a very interesting ride.

Phantasialand desperately needs a new dark ride, especially now that they've removed one for this development. Maus is nice, but it's not the right ride to headline the park's dark ride collection. The game is fun, but story and alike are limited. The ride system also simply isn't up to the job of supporting the whole park on its own. At the same time though, they also could do with another coaster. It's been a good while since Black Mamba! Why not kill two birds with one stone?

Also this allows them to utilise an area close to the locals without causing noise issues, which is another bonus.

Am I right in thinking that generally speaking Mummy is a fairly low-profile ride (In that it's layout isn't that tall. More ground-hugging)? If so I wonder if they might consider partially sinking the building into a pit, allowing them to build more on top without loosing space, like they did with Geister and to a lesser extent Hollywood Tour. Let's be honest, they need all the space they can get these days, so a giant warehouse in the middle of the park would be far from ideal.

Makes sense. Launched coasters can be great but don't need much height.

Phantasialand never buy Mack.

It's unlikely they'll start now, with good launch systems already on the market from Premier, Intamin and even B&M.

The Mack system wouldn't suit the Mummy-esque ride that I imagine this will turn out to be.

Reactions: Ian
Personally I'd expect a Premier system, similar to Mummy. It seems to tick all the right boxes really, with throughput and show elements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like Sam, I can't imagine a Mack system having the same effect when it comes to a dark ride (Which I'm still hopeful is what we'll be getting).

Whatever they install I just hope that capacity is taken into consideration. We really don't want to see another Maus, or Winjas. It needs to be something fast, efficient, which simply works, and Mummy does seem to be one of the best examples to work from.

If it is a dark ride, then I think it's important that this is kept in mind throughout the ride design and development process. The focus shouldn't need to be entirely on the coaster, with inversions and alike. At the end of the day it needs to be coaster playing transit system, much like Gringotts and Mummy. If you took either outside and removed the theming you would see what is a pretty basic layout and system, but which offers ample potential for theming interaction.

To put it another way, it's actions need to be justified. By this I mean why you go backwards at the pre-launch stop on Mummy for example? Because the theming and plot denotes you should escape, and backwards is the logical way to run? It shouldn't be like Winjas where you see-saw or tip for the sake of it, with no real reason or explanation given. A coaster will do things because it can. A dark ride will do it for a reason. That's my beliefs on the matter anyway :p

Excellent on the whole though! Well worth a watch. And that's the kind of thing I'd love to see in front of the Towers!

One thing I'd say though about projection mapping on this kind of backdrop is the transitions loose their reality feel, when things "drop" for example, and they move front/back/through windows etc it just ruins that illusion a bit. That's a shame, they really stood out to me, but that is only really testament to how brilliant the rest was!

Some points had me absolutely mesmerised!

Not so polished at the end, and the very end seems a bit of an odd way to finish, without spoiling it, hard to fully judge though without being there - and for an independent park?

WOW!

Despite some parts I felt lacked polish or whatever, on the whole, that was brilliant! Enjoyed that @Rowe thank you for posting!

Hmm, interesting update on the new attraction. Still can't work out what it could possibly be. It is a very unusual site and that big long line of foundations/footings doesn't give many clues. I cannot wait to see how it enhances the park even further though.

:)

It will blatantly some kind of special effects dark ride/coaster.

Looking forward to getting back to Phantasialand in 2016 after rather overdoing it in 2014!

:D

Apparently there are rumours that this could be some form of Intamin launch coaster. Phantasialand have worked a fair bit with Intamin (Chiapas and Mystery Castle) and looking at the location of the site a launch does appear likely.

The new attraction has a name:

taronphl030515.jpg

Looopings

I find it weird how nobody's posted about this in the last 14 days. I only just found out myself after Dar mentioned it on Twitter!

Reactions: Dar
So they've gone for a name like Baron at Efteling and a logo style like Wodan's at EP! I suppose there are worse combinations! :p

As Rob says - very Wodan and very Efteling at the same time.

Phantasialand are no strangers to taking inspiration from other parks though - cue Maus au Chocolat being announced after the information surfaced about DLP developing an attraction!

I like it, expecting some sort of mythological based experience then?

Reactions: Dar
I have moved all (I think!) posts re: Phantasialand's 2016 addition into this new topic. Old Phantasialand material can be found in the 'Phantasialand 2014: Chiapas' topic.

This development is of fair interest on the forum so I think it is appropriate for it have its own development topic.