• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

We got stopped taking photos of Talocan once when it was closed for maintenance.

The park are oddly anal about such things.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You can accurately position a rotating ride car using motors. Mack spinning coaster use on board motors (I assume on a clutch for free spinning) to re-orientate the trains on return to the station.

Motors would be risky on a 4D coaster because if they fail mid ride you could end up in a dangerous ride position. But if it’s just for a slow rotate into a fixed ride position all you need is a proximity sensor to confirm position. I would assume if the train did not rotate at the desired time the ride would shut down, there will also be some sort of manual release for such an event.

The only downside to the design that I can see that B&M doesn’t have is evacuating on the flat. With the exception of the station, on a B&M flyer you can manually bring the seats back to upright and release the harness. On the vekoma system that doesn’t appear to be possible so you would have to evacuate from the flying position. As mentioned this only happens in the station on B&M as the train is locked into the H-bar so can’t be lowered.

If the above is the case this would preclude traditional lifthills for the ride style as you couldn’t evacuate from flying position on an inclined lift hill (trust me I have been evacuated from Air in the flying position when it stopped in the station and it’s very weird).

The only downside to the design that I can see that B&M doesn’t have is evacuating on the flat. With the exception of the station, on a B&M flyer you can manually bring the seats back to upright and release the harness. On the vekoma system that doesn’t appear to be possible so you would have to evacuate from the flying position.

This is true. However, I think it’s pretty rare to ever actually manually wind down a row on a B&M anyway. The more standard method as I understand is to release the leg flaps, have the rider put their feet on the portable evac steps and then release the OTSR so that they can effectively walk out of the seat while hunched over. Presumably this would be the approach if for some reason you couldn’t lower a craft in the station too.

I would assume the same procedure applies here on the Vekoma model.

This is true. However, I think it’s pretty rare to ever actually manually wind down a row on a B&M anyway. The more standard method as I understand is to release the leg flaps, have the rider put their feet on the portable evac steps and then release the OTSR so that they can effectively walk out of the seat while hunched over. Presumably this would be the approach if for some reason you couldn’t lower a craft in the station too.

I would assume the same procedure applies here on the Vekoma model.

Im sure someone on here would confirm who has worked on it, but I’m pretty sure they wind down outside of the station. The evacuation from flying position is pretty hard going on the staff as they have to support the restraint as it releases. It’s also pretty demanding on the guest as they have to be fairly stable in manoeuvring themselves.

When it happened to me we where still in the station and they couldn’t reset so we had to evac out of the flying position and it’s certainly an experience!

Eis8uA0XgAMeAAI

At night. Ooft.

Hmm, I'm not a huge fan of the lighting, though I'm aware we're looking at just one photo and it'll undoubtedly look different in real life. Considering it's being coined as an experience for day and night, you'd have thought they'd have selected a more interesting colour palette to bring out the colours in the theming around the area better, rather than just bathing it in a blue wash. Even the few yellows and oranges seem a bit pale and flat.

I dunno, just me?

Hmm, I'm not a huge fan of the lighting, though I'm aware we're looking at just one photo and it'll undoubtedly look different in real life. Considering it's being coined as an experience for day and night, you'd have thought they'd have selected a more interesting colour palette to bring out the colours in the theming around the area better, rather than just bathing it in a blue wash. Even the few yellows and oranges seem a bit pale and flat.

I dunno, just me?

Agreed. It does pretty much the opposite of accentuating and highlighting elements. Quite a disappointment given the effort clearly spent elsewhere. The light fittings themselves looked beautiful, so I was anticipating the same effort would have gone into the lighting design itself.

And we have a partial POV (which misses out probably the most interesting part of the ride; getting in and out of the prone position)

If you ask me it looks very much like a very long Air rather than something akin to Manta or Tatsu, which for me as a massive Air fanboy I wouldn’t say is a bad thing! One thing I don’t think anyone can dispute is how smooth it looks to be.

The ride clearly isn't the best thing about Rookburgh. Indeed, the layout looks quite bland for a coaster of such scale.

The best thing about Rookburgh is clearly the lighting package at night.

Good god.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

From the videos I've seen, FLY doesn't seem to have much umph when it's going around the track. To me the trains are a few rows too long, it looks like the front is just dragging the back around the circuit and not in a good way. IMO it would have flowed a lot better being a few rows shorter.

On the subject of nighttime there’s a few more shots coming out of the area after dark that I don’t think have been shared here.

9D0E3318-EFDC-4D72-ADD5-ABB7753CDF52.jpeg

FEE6C3CE-6C69-4848-A70B-DFD3186BC682.jpeg

It’s still predominantly blue washes as Burbs said earlier, but on the ground you do get a better sense of the scale and also some of the details not seen in the aerial photo shared earlier.

Don’t know about anyone else but the loading gantries/cranes give me a bit of Baron 1898 VIBES.

On the subject of nighttime there’s a few more shots coming out of the area after dark that I don’t think have been shared here.

9D0E3318-EFDC-4D72-ADD5-ABB7753CDF52.jpeg

FEE6C3CE-6C69-4848-A70B-DFD3186BC682.jpeg

It’s still predominantly blue washes as Burbs said earlier, but on the ground you do get a better sense of the scale and also some of the details not seen in the aerial photo shared earlier.

Don’t know about anyone else but the loading gantries/cranes give me a bit of Baron 1898 VIBES.
Ah, excellent, I'm glad it looks better from ground level, and does give quite the sense of scale! A shame there's not been more thought put into a more variable colour palette to compliment the area though.

Don't even ask me how, but someone managed to film an on-ride...

Somone please tell me how the heck they got that past the metal detector/security check :confused:

Phantasialand are the best park in the world at creating small, tight, intensely immersive themed areas.

Whilst Disney are as good at it, so they should be given their budgets, audience and technology. Given Phantasialand's fairly "small" status, it's quite amazing what they can achieve.

I also like the contrast to Efteling and Europa-Park.

Efteling create much more open themed rides and areas, still nicely themed but in a less "in your face way". Europa-Park is somewhere in the middle.

:)