• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

I thought the ankle restraints were OK, however as clever and seamless the transition to the flying position is, I'd still prefer to sit down on a coaster. However variety is the spice of life. When I was down in the station the scale of work really hit me. That huge section of subterranean track blows my mind.

What’s the queue times like this time of year? I may well look at going next year around this time. I suppose you always run the risk of it being freezing though!

Sounds slightly busier than Fri and Yesterday. Taron was about 45 mins and FLY about 25mins. Black Mamba 20-30. However the bad forecast for Yesterday possibly put a few locals off and they may have chosen Today. I hear the Wed or Thursday are the days to pick as it's mainly walk on going from reports (Closed Mon-Tue).

I made the mistake of visiting the closing weekend in January 2019 for Wintertraum and the place was packed, and it was just uncomfortable in the park. Always seems quieter during the week when other people I know have gone.

I thought the ankle restraints were OK

You see that's interesting because I've heard others say the same as you as well. I just felt the top of them dug into my shins. I didn't like the fact they moved either, no pain or anything just didn't feel comfortable for me. I forget t they're there on B&M's, although the vest is far more comfortable on FLY. I'm quite a muscularly tense person so maybe that's to blame. Or I'm just weird.

FLY is pretty comfy, the return to sitting worked well when it broke down in the rain even if it is a slightly odd seated position

What’s the queue times like this time of year? I may well look at going next year around this time. I suppose you always run the risk of it being freezing though!
I was there on Wednesday last week and pretty much everything was 0-10 mins all day, apart from Taron which started off at 40 but dropped to 20 pretty quickly (I assume they added a train).

By all accounts Wintertraum is getting busier and busier, especially this year as Phantasialand had a sale on for 24,€ park tickets a couple of months ago. Apparently some days are completely sold out!

There's quick pass and quick pass plus, both allow priority access on 2 rides for 1 person or can be used by 2 people for one ride.

QP+ is valid on a bigger range of rides but is more expensive, if you want Taron or Mamba you'll need QP+ otherwise get QP. Here's a screenshot of rides and prices for each:

Screenshot_20230227-172830.png
Note that the above info appears unchanged from last summer - it's possible it may be updated when the park reopens. Currently you cannot use QP or QP+ on some of the most popular rides including River Quest and Fly.

One of the odd things about Fly is there didn't seem to be a way for the operator to release the harnesses in the station, or if there was they didn't want to use it.

Last year a train came into the station with a harness already closed and locked. The host was almost accusing us of closing it rather than acknowledge the possibility that the person at offload cocked up. He just put us back behind the air gates and we boarded the following train instead.

Construction work is underway on the main Africa path with Universal Rocks on site; greenery has been cleared from the roof of Mamba's station along the road to the Mystery car park
IMG_6821.png

IMG_6823.png

IMG_6822.png

Screenshot_2023-02-14_at_17.31.05.png

New path? Attraction? Gastro area? Adventure Trail extension/phase 2? Who knows but they clearly are not done with plussing Africa.

Another project in Africa is also underway it seems over by the lifthill building of Mamba.
Originally it was planned to add a bar inside the building above the Snack (open to park guests during the day & hotel guests by evening - a dual concept eventually used for Uhrwerk Restaurant in Rookburgh).

But with Hotel Ling Bao's second bar, Dragon Bar, being open only when demand is high enough - the economics mustn't have added up for a second bar for Matamba too. Eventually more than a decade later in 2020 Karimbu Bar was added by the loop bridge; a smaller, park only drinks stand.
IMG_6932.jpg

Work is being done to the bridge/walkway between the hotel & lifthill building with frames being attached.
IMG_6963.jpg

On top of the former dragon meet & greet (before Kroka's Lodge was built as replacement last year with Adventure Trail) railings have been added and fire torches/heaters making a small terrace area
IMG_6952.jpg

Very surprised if they go back to the bar idea but it certainly looks to be like that. Intriguing.

Meanwhile over in Hotel Ling Bao the garden is seeing some-kind of new garden feature and a hot tub/whirpool corner has been added to the pool
IMG_6979.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

I've been to Phantasialand dozens of times and whenever I see photos of something going on in the park I almost never know where exactly it is. Even when I'm there I constantly have to look at maps / signs to navigate around the place.

I've been to Phantasialand dozens of times and whenever I see photos of something going on in the park I almost never know where exactly it is. Even when I'm there I constantly have to look at maps / signs to navigate around the place.

I'll get half decent at it during a trip but a photo from 2 weeks later and I'm entirely lost. I'm thankful for @CSLKenny including the map/streetview bits asI can have a vague idea then

Last edited:
Phantasialand reopened at the weekend with a number of changes across the park

Firstly Hotel Ling Bao following it's modernisation, refurbishments and improvements in luxury offerings over the last few years has been upgraded to be classed as a "4 Star Superior Hotel". This season the children's playroom has been renewed, there's new rockwork in the garden and the new pool has had a hot tub section added.
Screenshot_2023-04-06_at_18.29.35.png

In Mexico the toilets near Chiapas' exit have been completely themed up
img-6438-1920-1276-100.jpeg

img-6440-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6441-1920-1276-100.jpeg

The Silverado Theatre has received a new stunt show this year, and the ice show theatre has been refurbished with a new show lighting system, LED backdrop screen ala EP theatres and new frontage.

In Berlin the front of the passage to Fantasy has received colourful detailed paintwork, the area facing side of the park entrance has been themed, the stairs down from the entrance redone, the kiddie flat rides either side have received new theming, shelters for operators, some facades have been repainted and new signage added (including the offices of the Rookburgh Gazette) and a number of new decoration pieces placed throughout the area.
dsc01322-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6493-1920-1276-100.jpeg

img-6591-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6582-1920-1276-100.jpeg

img-6587-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6580-1920-1276-100.jpeg

The Wintergreen theatre has received some new frontage as well, and some theming items which are from the station of Hollywood Tour
img-6498-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6577-1920-1276-100.jpeg

Over in Africa there's also been a load of new theming details, signs, props, lanterns and the queue of Mamba has been themed up
img-6463-1920-1276-100.jpeg
fullsizerender-1920-1276-100.jpeg

The midway through the middle of the area has new rockwork along the sides and the village slightly expanded with new buildings - presumably just new covered seating areas. One such building already is finished and in use in the middle of the square.
img-6608-1920-1276-100.jpeg
img-6465-1920-1276-100.jpeg

The construction site over the roof of Mamba's station and maintenance bay looks to be a pathway to help spread crowds and create a loop within the area; with a new F&B unit. The path will weave around the vents and hatches in the roof; in the second picture the small fake building on the right is already hiding a vent.
20230406_153527.jpg.a489d57762e7d10709957d3ee4d03c75.jpg
20230406_154613.jpg.eaa53fa644aa19ac2c5f59a85414535d.jpg

Another project in Africa is also underway it seems over by the lifthill building of Mamba.
Originally it was planned to add a bar inside the building above the Snack (open to park guests during the day & hotel guests by evening - a dual concept eventually used for Uhrwerk Restaurant in Rookburgh).

But with Hotel Ling Bao's second bar, Dragon Bar, being open only when demand is high enough - the economics mustn't have added up for a second bar for Matamba too. Eventually more than a decade later in 2020 Karimbu Bar was added by the loop bridge; a smaller, park only drinks stand.
IMG_6932.jpg

Work is being done to the bridge/walkway between the hotel & lifthill building with frames being attached.
IMG_6963.jpg

On top of the former dragon meet & greet (before Kroka's Lodge was built as replacement last year with Adventure Trail) railings have been added and fire torches/heaters making a small terrace area
IMG_6952.jpg

Very surprised if they go back to the bar idea but it certainly looks to be like that. Intriguing.
Meanwhile the roof over the hotel access to the unused floors inside the Mamba lifthill building is finished but what will transpire inside remains a mystery.
img-6474-1920-1276-100.jpeg

Over in Rookburgh there's also some work underway - apparently will be a new opening and system to bring trains out is being built. Rather than the previous method of using the hatch and skylight through Bar 1919 as to not impede hotel operations if anything needs taken out mid-season. Could be off the back of a mid season closure FLY and then eventually the hotel too had last November for some maintenance supposedly involving the trains.
20230406_112816.jpg.b4b5365d9db20280ff69566f13cb57c2.jpg
image0.jpg

Source Source

The expansion of the African village has opened with buildings offering new theming and viewing points to explore, and additional sheltered seating areas. These are along the existing midway through the middle of the area, some hang off the pathway on silts to maximise the narrow space.
Fu0AsGLWIAQKdk9
Fu0AsGTWYAQtILm

Fu0AsGQXgAAQBll
Fu0AsGNWcAI1UPj

Fu0AswjWIAIY5OB
Fu0AswoWIAUfx4E

Fu0Asw5WcAA-0f6
Fu0AswjXsAEYSPK

Source - shared by park executive Chris Theis

The park have also themselves uploaded a video on the new stuff.

Meanwhile the totally brand new African area loop path over the station roof, and food outlet are still under construction presumably to be completed for summer.
IMG_8296.jpg

Source Ride On Blog

Last edited:
Looking at some of the scenic details there I would say “Hmmmm, has someone been to Animal Kingdom recently?” But then, I know they have as we saw Chris Theis in The Nomad Lounge on the next table to us 😂😂

Looks great though. Glad to see Africa getting some love. It felt like one of the only areas that hadn’t really changed much in a long time.

Looking at some of the scenic details there I would say “Hmmmm, has someone been to Animal Kingdom recently?” But then, I know they have as we saw Chris Theis in The Nomad Lounge on the next table to us 😂😂

Looks great though. Glad to see Africa getting some love. It felt like one of the only areas that hadn’t really changed much in a long time.
I think we need to go and knock a tray of drinks over in his park now…