• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand - a Noob's Point Of View

Burbs

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Iron Gwazi
Part 1

I first became aware of Phantasialand in 2013, when I saw the final stages of construction for Chiapas. The detail of the final product made me so intrigued about what the rest of the park had to offer, and I desperately wanted to go. Since then I have made 3 trips to Europa-Park, and I thought it was finally time to pay the Cologne theme park a visit. I went with a friend of mine (@JAMMYD778) for a total of 3 days in Germany, who also has a Europa-Park Clubcard and hadn't visited PL either. I will try and keep this as short as possible!

The Theme Park Itself
We got into Phantasialand for free, thanks to Herr R. Mack, and were greeted by a number of staff members in pre-war costumes, before we walked down into a retro Berlin with delightful broadway-style music playing in the background. The Berlin area street reminded me a lot of Main Street USA with the style of buildings, however it was much shorter. Not realising that despite the park opening at 9am, the rides didn't actually open until 10am, so we put our luggage in a locker under the Silverado theatre and made our way to the fantasy area of the park. Everything was so very well-themed in this area, as it was the rest of the park, however I did feel that the plaza area in front of the Winjas area was a bit sparse.

I personally found the park quite difficult to navigate. The lack of room to expand has meant that the park have no choice but to build new rides on top of old ones, which creates a multi-levelled maze! Pretty sure we took a much longer route from Chiapas to Black Mamba than we needed to. Regardless, everywhere was so intensely themed, it didn't matter as we saw so much more. I don't have much to say about China Town as we didn't spend too much time in there. Klugheim was mightily impressive however, with the rock work and how they have managed to fit a LOT of roller coaster track into relatively such a small area.

Ridecount and attraction reviews will be posted separately!

Travel and Accommodation
We flew with Eurowings (Voletarium tbh) between Manchester Airport and Cologne Airport, however our outbound flight was delayed by about an hour, meaning that we didn't arrive at our accommodation until about midnight. Fortunately the hotel we had booked in to (Airport Hotel by the New Yorker) was only a 10 minute walk away from the arrivals hall, and there was 24-hour check-in. The hotel was perfectly convenient, but lacklustre inside for the price we paid. Still, it was a bed for the night.

In the morning we made our way back to the airport's train station. Expecting the station to be rammed with commuters, we arrived around 20 minutes earlier than our train was due to arrive, however the ticket machine area was empty and there weren't many people on the platform. Single fare was 3,80€. We changed trains at Cologne Main Station and arrived in Brühl at 8:25am, where we hopped on the 8:55am shuttle bus, which cost 3€ return, and can be used any day. This dropped us off right outside the main entrance (Berlin) of Phantasialand by 9:15am.

At the end of the first day we made our way to our second hotel of the trip - Hotel SchlossDomäne Walberberg, which was a 30 minute walk from the main entrance, and about 20-25 minutes from the China entrance. It was, however, a wonderful hotel. We had a huge room (2 rooms put together really) and a lovely continental breakfast included in the price, which was only 6€ more expensive than the hotel at the airport! We left the park at 1:30pm on the second day, and on the way back to the airport we had an hour to spare so we went to have a look around Cologne Cathedral. An absolute wonder, huge and amazing architecture both inside and out. Our flight back from Cologne was just as nice as our outbound flight, and was actually 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

:)

Part 2

Total ridecount (34)

3x Black Mamba
2x Colorado Adventure
1x Raik
2x Taron
2x Temple of the Nighthawk
2x Winjas Force
2x Winjas Fear
0x Wuzeball
4x Chiapas
1x River Quest
1x Wakoboto
1x Feng Ju Palace
1x Geister Rikscha
2x Hollywood-Tour
2x Hotel Tartüff
1x Maus au Chocolat
3x Mystery Castle
1x Talocan
1x Wellenflug
1x Würmlings Express

Black Mamba - I had quite high expectations of this ride, and it didn't disappoint! The queue line is wonderful to walk through and the station very atmospheric, with very intense dispatch audio. The ride itself reminded me of a less intense Nemesis, though on the back row at the end of the day it isn't much different. Actually preferred it to Nemesis.

Colorado Adventure - Whilst every other ride in the park had a 20 minute queue or longer, this coaster was walk-on due to its insane throughputs. A very good ride, with different experiences at the back and front. Favourite part was the really dark indoor section, although the other indoor sections are too light and need to be better themed. Probably the only area of the park I noticed a lack of theming.

Raik - A good family boomerang, well-themed within the Klugheim area.

Taron - I honestly wasn't expecting much from the ride, but it was absolutely incredible! The launches are superb (particularly the 2nd, rolling launch) and the airtime is great. Criticisms would be that it could probably do with a couple of inversions in places where not a lot is going on, and that god-awful cattlepen extension in the queue line.

Temple of the Nighthawk - Expectations were extremely low, but it was actually an 'ok' ride. The fact that it's in complete darkness helps, as it makes it quite fun. A good ride for families with young children, though I won't be mourning its loss when its day comes.

Winjas Fear & Force - The fact that they are Maurer coasters and both have trick-track elements is terrifying. Nothing to write home about besides that. Fear is better than Force, though I put this down to the much larger first drop. We did actually end up getting an evacuation from Fear on our second ride, on the second block brake after the first drop. My first proper evacuation that's not just on a station platform or final brake run!

Wuzeball - On evacuation from Winjas Fear, we had to walk through a backstage area, where a few different doors were open. We could see Wuzeball but unfortunately it wasn't operating that day, and looked in a sorry state. I don't think it will be opening any time soon! The ride itself looked pretty good though. Perhaps one day I'll finally get on it.

Chiapas - The only ride I really visited the park for, and it did not disappoint! Delightful ride, with other-worldly levels of theming. Didn't get too wet, which was a bonus, and the ride system itself is very clever... when it works. A flume ride with comfortable boats to sit in where each rider isn't wedged together like sardines when the boat is full.

River Quest - Fortunately we were very lucky and were facing forwards on all the drops, so only got a little bit wet. The people opposite us got soaked, however. A log flume with rapids boats is the only way to describe it!

Wakoboto - Nice enough theming, though all the interactive effects were switched off so we had no idea what they do when squirted with the water guns. Seemed to be a bit too long a ride though.

Feng Ju Palace - A very bizarre pre-show. The ride itself was fairly good though - the best mad house I have done after Hex. Didn't realise until we rode that it's the same model of ride as Hex, and it seemed to be the same ride sequence too, with the build up. Soundtrack was completely unmemorable and effects nothing special.

Geister Rikscha - A very dated attraction. I was expecting a ghost train in a similar style to Geisterschloß, but was more like a pirate dark ride than anything.

Hollywood Tour - Again, expectations were very low, but it was a pretty decent ride. Back in its day it would have been very good. The initial cave scene is quite nice, and the film scenes are fine.

Hotel Tartüff - An enjoyable fun house! The entrance host was very much in character all the time, and it was all quite quirky!

Maus au Chocolat - Having never done any ride like this before, I thought it was quite good, though I would have preferred more physical sets. The concept is good fun, though I think there were too many shooting parts, and it got a bit boring by the end of the ride.

Mystery Castle - We had heard about how the infamous Misery Castle always runs before 2pm and Mystery Castle afterwards. We rode at about 2:30pm, and thought the ride was very good, albeit a bit short. On the 2nd day we rode in the morning, and whilst still quite good, Misery Castle just didn't have the build up to the drop that Mystery Castle does.

Talocan - Bloody intense! Only rode the once. A very impressive top spin.

Wellenflug - The fountains do get very close to your feet if you have long legs. That extra element definitely does add to the ride experience.

Würmlings Express - It's ok. I expected pedals... and a more interesting layout. Alas. I'm sure kids would enjoy it though.

Overall rides at Phantasialand were either VERY good, or nothing brilliant. Where the older rides and dark rides at Europa-Park have charm and history attached to them, Phantasialand's just feel like they've been left there because they don't know what else to put there. It's definitely only a 1.5-day park, as we managed to do everything we wanted with re-rides on the first day, and then it was just re-rides on the second. Hopefully with F.L.Y it will become a solid 1.5 or 2-day park. It is a wonderful place to be though, and I will definitely be making a visit again in the future.

:)

I'm glad we have another Taron fan amongst us, we are an uprising and eventually we will take over the American overlord coasters.

It's a shame Wuzeball wasn't open, it's really hit-and-miss to whether it's open or not, it's very situational. Phantasialand are really very secret about their rides, did you manage any pics of F.L.Y whilst you were there?

Great report :D

I'm glad we have another Taron fan amongst us, we are an uprising and eventually we will take over the American overlord coasters.

It's a shame Wuzeball wasn't open, it's really hit-and-miss to whether it's open or not, it's very situational. Phantasialand are really very secret about their rides, did you manage any pics of F.L.Y whilst you were there?

Great report :D
Cheers! It is a shame about Wuzeball, but oh well. I couldn't take any pictures of F.L.Y because of how high the walls surrounding it are, and what we could see had already been photographed.

Can someone please tell me what Wuzeball is? I can't find it on RCDB or on the Phantasialand Wikipedia page, so I'm starting to think it's some sort of fictional cred (no offence intended). I originally thought it was Temple of the Night Hawk, but that theory got hastily disproven by another member.

I wouldn't take RCDB as the be all and end all. They often don't list coasters depending on the owner's whim. Water coasters come and go from the listings, (the old wooden water chutes like Vikingar at BPB aren't counted any more, and some Mack Super Splash types arent on there) and there was a time when powered coasters weren't counted.

I assume it's not listed because it was a prototype.