• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phones at Gigs

Novas

TS Member
PUT THE THINGS AWAY! I’m nearly 6ft and I still can’t see over half of them.

When I was a teenager if you went to a gig you put your phone in a zipped pocket before you went in. If it was still there 3 hours later you’d had a good night. If it was missing you’d had a freakin awesome night.

Can someone explain to me why the entire bloody world wants to enjoy every live performance of every artist nowadays via a 3” LCD screen? “I must record this treasured moment forever, for my wobbly 15 second low res video taken in poor light conditions will surely pwn all others!”

I’m not saying that I went out of my way to ‘accidently’ fly out of the pit and flatten a mong who wouldn’t put his phone down last night, but I did to ‘accidently’ fly out of the pit and flatten a mong who wouldn’t put his phone down last night.

I have declared it my sole purpose in life to destroy these people.

/rant

I agree. Just enjoy the experience, and not have it hindered by having to hold up a phone for the whole time. Same with people who try to film POV's on coasters. If you want to watch something again, it's always on Youtube.

I've seen pictures of people with ipads at a gig. I think it was a Coldplay gig, which is fair enough, the crowd would have been full of middle class, boring people, but imagine bringing an ipad to a proper gig? AHAHAHA! So metal.

It's ok to take a picture or film a song, but I don't get why people would pay loads of money to stand there watching a gig through a screen. They won't remember the pits, the performance, the light show, they'll just remember holding a phone.

That's pretty bad, but bags are much, much worse. Anyone who brings a bag on their back to a standing gig should be shot.

There are worse crimes at gigs. teenagers who all think they're the first person to come up with the concept of crowd surfing. It stopped being funny or 'cool' at least 40 years ago, it's pathetic and ruins the enjoyment of the gig for others. Its impossible to see a band these days without one of these idiots kicking you in the back of the head, needless to say they all get a swift crack in the nuts in return.
I've always found pits pathetic as well, I go to gigs for the music and I'd much rather sit back and enjoy the show.

Then don't stand, or stand at the back.

What's the point of going to a gig if you're not going to get stuck in? You might as well just buy the band's live album and put that on really loud, sitting close to the screen.

It's mostly kids that think its cool to 'get stuck in'
That's like suggesting its necessary to yodel at a theatre! You might enjoy yourself, but you're not really watching the show.

Alastair said:
I agree. Just enjoy the experience, and not have it hindered by having to hold up a phone for the whole time. Same with people who try to film POV's on coasters. If you want to watch something again, it's always on Youtube.
I would agree most gigs are filmed by the bands management anyway and sold on DVD which is better than a poor film from your phone

But I think there has only been five bands that I've been in a mosh pit for, just because you suffer the day after lose your clothes

Oasis
The prodigy
Pendulum
Kasabian
And chase and status
But it feels right at the time and I kind of enjoy it :)

Couldn't agree more. So many people these days spend their life looking at their phones. It's like reality is too much for them so they need to see things through the barrier of an iPhone to feel safe.

When I go out, I want to enjoy the event for myself. I couldn't care less aout filming anything. I spend my working life faffing about with cameras, so when I'm out for the night the last thing I want to do is have anything to do with them! :p
The only time my phone leaves my pocket is when I'm on the train to / from the event, or when I'm waiting for someone to come back fron the loo in a pub etc.

The same could be said about people who wander round themeparks with their face glued to a massive camera... ;) Put it away and enjoy it for yourself, already!

DiogoJ42 said:
Couldn't agree more. So many people these days spend their life looking at their phones. It's like reality is too much for them so they need to see things through the barrier of an iPhone to feel safe.

When I go out, I want to enjoy the event for myself. I couldn't care less aout filming anything. I spend my working life faffing about with cameras, so when I'm out for the night the last thing I want to do is have anything to do with them! :p
The only time my phone leaves my pocket is when I'm on the train to / from the event, or when I'm waiting for someone to come back fron the loo in a pub etc.

The same could be said about people who wander round themeparks with their face glued to a massive camera... ;) Put it away and enjoy it for yourself, already!

TL;DR Back in my day...

I haven't been to any big music gigs, Jeff Dunham and guitar guy is the closest I've got! I don't get why people would use their phones, I just can't rationalise it at all. :/

It's horrendous, and is probably one of the most stupid things ever. The music's too loud that the audio on the phone distorts, you're moving too much for the video to be any good (if not you're doing it wrong), people can't see past the phone and there's literally no point in having the video either. Enjoy a gig while you're there, don't watch it through a phone. What's worse is the people who take large cameras to film in HD and Whatnot.

Various artists I know of now a enforcing a "no camera's" policy, which I saw quite strongly enforced at a recent gig. I can only see this as a good thing.

KILL

guy-takes-ipad-to-concert.jpg

Honestly, if you must hold something up, hold a lighter. Nothing says "rock" like fire in your hand!

I don't understand why people do it (why would you want such a poor quality recording?) but it doesn't particularly bother me or affect my enjoyment of a gig. :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Years ago, I had the annoying urge of doing it. I remember recording a bit of an Eric Clapton concert on a Sony Ericsson, and at the time it wasn't too bad. But it's something I strongly fight the urge to do. When I went to see Lady GaGa in September, I filmed the first song on my old HTC and when I came to rewatch it the audio made it unwatchable. From that, I realised that there's virtually no point in doing it as your arm aches and the audio is never good. It's annoying all round, although I do understand why people do it.

People like to remember their excursions, and exploits by capturing them to look back on in years to come. There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with doing this.
A lot of people do it, and a lot of people enjoy doing it. Sure, the end result may not be professional in any sense, but I dare say the person creating the video clip is happy enough to watch it a few times to relive that particular night, or event.

I wouldn't do it myself. I may be inclined to take a photo, or two, however I wouldn't record the entire show due to my arm becoming dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not sure if anyone else remembers this but there was one image from the Olympic Torch Relay which always stood in my head for this very reason. It was an overhead shot of someone holding the flame surrounded by a huge crowd of people, every single one of them holding their phones out in front of them towards the flame. None of them were actually looking at the flame itself, or whoever it was that was holding it :p

Shame I can't seem to find the image.

But in that case it was sort of understandable as they all wanted to one day show that they were there, a concert though I thought was meant to be something you lived in the moment. Imagine if you did similar in a theatre or cinema, you'd be kicked out.

T said:
People like to remember their excursions, and exploits by capturing them to look back on in years to come. There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with doing this.
A lot of people do it, and a lot of people enjoy doing it. Sure, the end result may not be professional in any sense, but I dare say the person creating the video clip is happy enough to watch it a few times to relive that particular night, or event.

I wouldn't do it myself. I may be inclined to take a photo, or two, however I wouldn't record the entire show due to my arm becoming dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's this amazing thing that we all have called a memory. It was perfectly adequate before camera phones and in many ways better. It's much more fulfilling reminiscing about what fun you had at an event than reliving it on film in which case, you probably weren't having that much fun anyway because you were concentrating on filming it.

It's a really annoying trait of modern society that people feel the need to record everything and not just experience it. It also ruins the experience for other people who would rather see the act they paid for than hundreds of glowing screens held in the air.

I'd like to see a recording equipment ban at concerts as it's getting ridiculous.